HELP...Who has chartered the MAASDAM for 8-20-05 Canada/New England sailing??????????

debjo

I really need all the CCer's help on this one...

I have been trying to put together a cruise for my in-laws & family (mostly elder folks) and we had narrowed it down to the MAASDAM and RCI's ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS...with strong leanings towards the MAASDAM. We are working through a Cruise Planner along with researching the "net". Our Cruise Planner had pulled some pricing together for us and while we've been awaiting the final "family" approvals, she has emailed me that the MAASDAM won't work because it had been chartered and the reservation agent couldn't tell her to whom. :confused:

I just went into the Holland America site and tried to "book" this 8/20/05 sailing ourselves and what had many "openings" a couple days ago is now TOTALLY "CLOSED". :eek:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO HAS CHARTERED THIS ENTIRE SHIP? I'm hoping to find out so that we might be able to book through the chartering company if the MAASDAM ends up being the hands-down family choice. I guess I'm sounding pretty desperate here, but a lot of research has been going into this and I'd hate to have to share some disappointing news with "the family". :o

I'm hoping that someone out there might be able to shed some light onto this for me...is there any glimmer of hope left for obtaining a booking with the MAASDAM for 8/20/05??? :rolleyes:

Debjo (who should perhaps be "fired" from being the family cruise director)

I just went into the Holland America site and tried to "book" this 8/20/05 sailing ourselves and what had many "openings" a couple days ago is now TOTALLY "CLOSED". :eek:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO HAS CHARTERED THIS ENTIRE SHIP? I'm hoping to find out so that we might be able to book through the chartering company if the MAASDAM ends up being the hands-down family choice. I guess I'm sounding pretty desperate here, but a lot of research has been going into this and I'd hate to have to share some disappointing news with "the family".

My money is on a Christian organization. Women of Faith have a conference on that same ship June 25 through July 2. Lots of Christian organizations host shipboard events and I could well imagine them having the interest to fill the entire ship.

I would just call HAL. See if the group that chartered will allow others to book through their travel agent. Hopefully, it won't be a private organization that will only take bookings from its own members. If that's the case ... and a company chartered the ship for a private sailing (God, I wish I worked for a company like that) ... then, sadly, your sunk (pardon the pun) ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

IMO....

If I knew that a ship was mostly chartered by a large group, I would not want to sail on that cruise. When there is a huge group aboard, they take over everything and very often a lounge could be closed off to others not part of the group (Crowsnest); sections of the dining room or even a whole seating are closed to everyone else and other such limitations.

The few pax aboard who are not a part of the group are very much effected by the doings of the group.

I would try to pick another date.

Sail - agree with you 100%. There have been a lot of complaints by regular paxs regarding the Inspirational Group that took over the Oosterdam and other HAL ships a number of times this past year.

http://www.inspirationcruises.com/html/canada_new_england.html

Check out their website as it lists all the cruises they have planned. Gather it is best to stay away from the ship when this group is on, unless of course you want to join them.

Kyros - it is not the Christian Woman's group on the August cruise - they are slated for June 25-July 2, 2005 and then another group October 1-8, 2005.

Debjo - if there were cabins open a few days ago and then the sailing is now closed, it could be that some travel agency has booked off those cabins or again the ship has been chartered. I did look at that sailing and everything has been CLOSED.

I would suggest that you go to a travel agency and speak directly with them. They may be able to find out if the ship has been chartered - could also have been a glitch in HAL's web site. Try again.

The last thing you want to do is find out who has the Maasdam chartered and try to book space with them. Run as fast as you can to another cruise- same ship, different date or different ship, same date. You and your family should be so happy you found out about this charter before you booked. :eek:

I just checked and the cruise I'm booked onto also has that inspiration bunch booked - wonder how many of them will be on. I have a VERY low tolerance level for so-called Christians who insist on imparting their frequently bigotted views on everyone within earshot.

Esme - what were the problems - do you remember or know where I could find out more? Would it help if I wore a star of David or something like that? I know when certain sects would try to come to my house to proselytize, I'd either tell them I'm Catholic or Druid - that usually shut them up and sent them running. :(

Oh, fecal matter. I'm on the June 25 Maasdam and really can't change. However, I'm pretty good at avoiding people and/or issues. I begrudge nobody their religious beliefs, or lack of same, and I only ask others quietly respect mine.

I don't think it's so much what the interest of the chartering group is in most cases, but the fact that there are so many of them and they take over lounges and just about every public area of the ship. Even if the venue is not closed to other pax, it might as well be when one large group monopolizes the facility.

Over a certain # in a large group I really think other pax who have booked should be informed and given the opportunity to cancel. Will never happen, but it is only fair.

Thulewx - I can't remember off hand, but I am sure I read about the problems encountered by a pax on this board and that may have been before a lot of the posts were deleted. Try doing a Search of Inspirational Cruises and see if you can find something. I do remember they took over the upper level of the dining room, theatre and other public areas of the ship.....I kind of think they even took over the Show Lounge and put on their own entertainment - if that's what you want to call it. :rolleyes:

You sound like me when the certain sects come to the door. Now I see 2 of them walking up the driveway or standing at my front door, I don't bother opening the door.

People are welcome to have their own beliefs but don't try to pawn them off on me :p .

Personally, I think HAL has a duty to advise paxs booking a cruise, if this group will be on board or if any very large group will be on board.

I couldn't agree more with all of you who do not recommend trying to book a commandeered ship!!! Woe is me ... bad idea!!! I won't go into details for fear of offending any one group, but we've been in this predicament and it doesn't matter what group it is because they pretty much stay with their own, but they do pretty much take over the ship.

I agree with Krazy that it would be great if we could know this in advance and be forewarned. But my guess would be that's the last thing the cruiseline wants you to know. Because if the cruise is booked by a "group" of only 1200, they still want to fill the remaining cabins! So if they can keep this info under their hats, they will!

THIS time, we got lucky. We disembark our b-to-b's on Maasdam on June 25. If we were to be aboard on June 25, I'd be changing our booking. (I would have that luxury [assuming availability] as we do not have to fly to get to the port.

There have been a lot of complaints by regular paxs regarding the Inspirational Group that took over the Oosterdam and other HAL ships a number of times this past year.

http://www.inspirationcruises.com/html/canada_new_england.html

Check out their website as it lists all the cruises they have planned. Gather it is best to stay away from the ship when this group is on, unless of course you want to join them.

Thanks Esme, I think. I checked and we will be joined by http://www.inspirationcruises.com/html/david_jeremiah.html on the O'dam 1/22/05 sailing. Ah well, forewarned is forearmed. I'll just wonder the halls saying "O'dam" a lot...:rolleyes:

-dave

Thanks Esme, I think. I checked and we will be joined by http://www.inspirationcruises.com/html/david_jeremiah.html on the O'dam 1/22/05 sailing. Ah well, forewarned is forearmed. I'll just wonder the halls saying "O'dam" a lot...:rolleyes:

-dave

Good one, Dave!!! .... as always;)

But I have to say, The Harpist looks pretty darn good to me!!!:D

(e-mail just sent to Inspiration Cruises to see how big a group they expect. Might as well go right to the source.)

Hi Folks!

Looks as if we'll be sharing the same wonderful ship for the same wonderful itinerary June 25 - July 2. Been on the ship before and taken that cruise before; they're both just great, as is Holland America Line, my favorite.

Got one question: How many of you will be onboard with me and what effect will that have on our use of the common rooms?

Thanks for your reply and I'm sure your participants will have a lovely time in that beautiful part of the world.

We will be bringing a large group with us on the cruise. This will not

affect the ship programming at all. Our private meetings will take place in

the large show lounge during a time that it is not normally used for regular

passengers. All other common rooms will be available to our passengers as

well as the regular passengers on the ship.

You are right to say that the Maasdam is a wonderful ship and in our

opinion, Holland America is one of the best cruise lines around... And then

this itinerary is my absolute favorite. I'm sure you will have a wonderful

time and our group should not impact your cruise negatively in any way.

Sincerely,

Delinda Hernandez

Director of Operations

We will be bringing a large group with us on the cruise. This will not

affect the ship programming at all. Our private meetings will take place in

the large show lounge during a time that it is not normally used for regular

passengers. All other common rooms will be available to our passengers as

well as the regular passengers on the ship.

You are right to say that the Maasdam is a wonderful ship and in our

opinion, Holland America is one of the best cruise lines around... And then

this itinerary is my absolute favorite. I'm sure you will have a wonderful

time and our group should not impact your cruise negatively in any way.

Sincerely,

Delinda Hernandez

Director of Operations

Tom,

That was a quick response. Thanks for taking the initiative. Just wondering how many people constitute a large group.

I just checked and the cruise I'm booked onto also has that inspiration bunch booked - wonder how many of them will be on. I have a VERY low tolerance level for so-called Christians who insist on imparting their frequently bigotted views on everyone within earshot.

(

Trust me ... they're aboard for fellowship and good bible teaching ... not to convert you. :) I doubt you'll have any problems with the group and may actually be glad it's a Christian group as opposed to some other one.

They are generally quiet and don't carouse. They are considerate of their fellow passengers, and usually exercise pretty good control of their kids.

You might actually enjoy your cruise more with them aboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

They do change the atmosphere, especially outside the ship's stores. Here's my experience on a recent voyage:

1) Rosaries by the inch.

2) T-shirts with a world map saying, "Here's where I've been, but my next trip is to heaven."

3) Posters on sale: "How come everybody's religion is right and everybody else's is wrong?"

4) Another poster: "Will your Eternal Cruise be on the heavenly HAL or a hellish tramp steamer? You're making your booking now."

Archived