HELP...Who has chartered the MAASDAM for 8-20-05 Canada/New England sailing??????????

debjo

For Everyone...

Wow, I guess I really opened up "Pandora's Box" on this one. I haven't yet been able to find out anything as to who had "chartered" the MAASDAM for 8/20/05. I do work through a cruise planner and she is the one that shared this sad news with me stating that she found out from HAL representative that it was chartered. She asked who the ship was chartered to and the HAL representative said that she couldn't release that information. That is why I came to the Cruise Critic group...thinking that someone out there might know.

The suggestion that was made about doing a "google" search for the ship and sailing date of 8/20/05 might turn up an agency that is booking the charter is a good one. I'll give that a try tonight. As far as our family finding another cruise and/or ship...that is tricky because we are limited to sailing round-trip out of Boston. This was the only sailing that the MAASDAM had "round-trip" from that port. The other ship we were considering is RCI's ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS...limited sailing dates as well (only in September). We've already sailed on NCL's NORWEGIAN MAJESTY and really wanted to try another ship and itinerary. The MAASDAM had risen to the top of the list because it was a ship that offered the best deal for the monies we would have spent and it was a ship that would have appealed to our "elder" family (one of whom is in a wheelchair). So if we are able to find out the "chartering" organization, we may still want to get involved. I don't think the "elder" family will be offended by a Christian religious group...there are some types of group "charters" that they probably would rather not be so willing to sharing a ship with. I guess we'll just have to see what information we can glean.

I really appreciate everyone's "two cents" on this one...it never fails.

Until later...

Debjo

If it is a "private charter", I think that there is no chance of you getting on it. It will have been chartered by a big group or company for their employees or highly favored clients. Think banks, insurance companys, car agencys etc. Somebody at HAL might let you know who it is but I do not think it will do you any good.

However, if a large travel agency has chartered it, they will start advertising heavily in the Boston and New England area. Probably not until after Christmas will they really start with ads in the papers. It will have to be a company with deep pockets. You might consider asking national agencys with lots of branch offices. I don't think we are suppose to mention actual companys on this board but you know who I mean.

Maasdam has been chartered by Garrison Keillor for the "Prarie Home Companion Cruise, 2005". Keillor and all of the regulars from his NPR radio program will be aboard, performing as an ensemble and individually. Prices are quite high, but it should be a blast. Details are available online at http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/features/cruise/

chesterh

If anyone is entertaining thoughts of going on this cruise, it looks like it is going to sell out quickly -- remarkable given the fares.

In less than 24 hours since the cruise was announced, the following categories are gone: NN,N,MM,M,L,K,J,I,H,G,FF,F,BC and BB. That leaves cabins only in HH,E,DD,D,BC,B,A and S. The Penthouse Suite will be awarded as an upgrade in a lottery amongst all passengers registered before mid-February.

chesterh

Last evening I was listening to A Prairie Home Companion and I caught the tail end of a blurb advertising A Prairie Home Companion cruise leaving from Boston on August 20th. I believe Holland America was mentioned but I can't remember if the Maasdam was mentioned.

I dunno. I'm an RC --a Christian denomination-- and, while I personally don't drink alcohol (for personal and not religious reasons), I don't see any conflict with being in that persuasion and having a snort now and then. Or a few beers. If wine with meals was good enough for the Founder, well, by golly...

The whole ship is charted by some entertainer/radio person.
Not me, I'm afraid. It's Garrison Keillor, host of public radio's hugely successful "A Prairie Home Companion." The whole cast will be there.

tomc:

You ARE an entertainer. I had forgotten about the gold by the inch. I am witty but not nearly as much so as is yourself. You have to hear me to catch the quick tongue. Doesn't come off that way on the boards. Bless you Tom, you liven up these boards and you do it in such a way that we all feel a little better for having read your posts.

I heard of a guy who went on a cruise once by himself. He just needed to be away and alone to get some work done he took with him. He got to his cabin and took a little nap. At the boat drill he learned he was on an all guy gay cruise and he was the only straight one on board.

Himself

• 3 weeks later...

For chesterh & Captdata...

Thank you so much for posting the information...actually I just found out about it doing a "google" search for the cruise. Once I learned that it was the Prairie Home Companion group, I was elated :D ...it would be a perfect cruise for my elder family (wasn't too sure about the $500 - $1000 more per person rates over what our Cruise Planner initially quoted us before finding out about the "charter"). Oh well, I just have to think that it just wasn't meant to be and there will be something better round-trip out of Boston for us. :rolleyes:

No use crying over spilled milk!

Debjo

Archived