I think I'm done using my TA.....

wasiii

.....if I book Early Saver. Every time I've seen a rate decrease for my cruise, for them to process the lower rate, they charge me $25 per booking change.

Do other people have this problem with their TA? I don't believe Carnival has any processing fee for this.

:confused:

wasiii

I anticipated this happening, but honestly you cannot blame the TA. Every reduction reduces their commission.

I anticipated this happening, but honestly you cannot blame the TA. Every reduction reduces their commission.

I can't blame the TA's but I see no reason to book with the TA if the price is going to be the same or more with all the added on fees.

If the price goes down $20pp for a 2 person booking they charge you $25 so you wind up with $15 net.

Easier just to book direct in a case like that.

Bill

I can't blame the TA's but I see no reason to book with the TA if the price is going to be the same or more with all the added on fees.

If the price goes down $20pp for a 2 person booking they charge you $25 so you wind up with $15 net.

Bill

Not to defend those TA's that charge a fee, but your example is for only one stateroom.... imagine if XYZ agency is a high volume producer and has to lower MANY bookings.... this is where they get burnt and in their eyes can "justify" a service charge for the loss of commissions and extra time needed to make the adjustments which could amount to some serious $$$'s in profit. :eek:

Not to defend those TA's that charge a fee, but your example is for only one stateroom.... imagine if XYZ agency is a high volume producer and has to lower MANY bookings.... this is where they get burnt and in their eyes can "justify" a service charge for the loss of commissions and extra time needed to make the adjustments which could amount to some serious $$$'s in profit. :eek:

I get what you are saying, but I feel the TA's should not take the Early saver booking if they know there is a possibility of a price drop, and that they don't want to be bothered with it. That is their job!

To the OP, I would write a letter after my cruise telling the TA exactly why I would never use them again. That is horrible that they don't want to help you out.

My husband and I just made this decision as well. Our TA was GREAT for our honeymoon booking, but is somewhat of a nightmare for our current booking.

We booked when Carnival was offering free upgrades. I told her about the promotion, but she said it wasn't for our rate (past guest). She was going to book a higher category because she "didn't want us down there". I had to talk her into checking it for me. Lo and behold, "Oh, you're right!". Would have cost us an extra $200 because of HER preference.

Fast forward a couple of months, she gave us the wrong due date and didn't even call to tell us the mix-up. She just sent me an email letting me know that our cruise is past due.

Bill

.....but this promotion is specifically for getting a lower price on a cruise. So if the TA is booking at this rate, and they know what this rate is all about, then I feel they shouldn't charge a fee for rate drops under this program.

Just my $.02.

wasiii

I don't have an argument with what you are saying but to me it seems if this trend continues more and more people will just start booking direct.

It's really a no win situation for the TA's as far as I can see.

I've always been pro TA. My TA still charges no fees but if she was to go that route I'd have to just book direct.

Bill

My TA is great she does not charge anything to get the lower price, she check that on her own and will call me to let me know that I got a lower price. I guess that is way I have used her for 9 years now. She also send a gift for both DH and I on each of our cruises and if she can she will take us to the air port.

So?...seriously, I am not looking to retire on one commission...I have people with a half-dozen open bookings at a time, and even if I only have one at a time, I want them to use me next time...if I have to take a $10 drop in my commission, I am happy to do so, to keep them coming back...

I have been a salesman all my life, and figured out long ago that repeat business is where you make your living...it's also a lot easier job when I know the client and the client knows and trusts me. One way to get them to trust me is to call THEM to tell THEM about a price drop, before they even get a chance to check on their own....

Oh that one is just utterly useless.. I dont get it...

and more expensive!!!

I didn't really feel there was a forum to "voice a concern" (complain) about getting a quote for a double rate when I specifically said solo, then getting a lousy room assignment and a very high cost. My TA had just left Carnival and I wasn't able to get hold of him and voila, he called me! He had it fixed in about 15 minutes.

wasiii, with as many cruises as you take that TA really needs to hear loud and clear, no!

.....if I book Early Saver. Every time I've seen a rate decrease for my cruise, for them to process the lower rate, they charge me $25 per booking change.

Do other people have this problem with their TA? I don't believe Carnival has any processing fee for this.

:confused:

wasiii

:eek:

I've never experienced that with a TA. (I use various on-line agencies) That sucks. I'd take my business elsewhere.

I didn't really feel there was a forum to "voice a concern" (complain) about getting a quote for a double rate when I specifically said solo, then getting a lousy room assignment and a very high cost. My TA had just left Carnival and I wasn't able to get hold of him and voila, he called me! He had it fixed in about 15 minutes.

wasiii, with as many cruises as you take that TA really needs to hear loud and clear, no!

.....I shot off an email to the supervisor of the TA I deal with yesterday. I anxiously await a response.

:D

wasiii

I don't have an argument with what you are saying but to me it seems if this trend continues more and more people will just start booking direct.

It's really a no win situation for the TA's as far as I can see.

I've always been pro TA. My TA still charges no fees but if she was to go that route I'd have to just book direct.

Bill

IMO Carnival has been sending us some signals that they (and the industry) are moving towards direct booking. First, the ES program where the TA's are facing more work given the price gaurantee and second, the new transfer rule where you can't transfer the booking after 30 days. In these tough economic times, a better business model for the cruise lines in direct selling. As more of the cruising population become computer and internet savvy, on-line booking is more the norm than the exception. Look at hotels, rental cars and of course airlines. Booking a cruise on-line takes me maybe five minutes.

Eliminating commissions is a huge economic win for the cruiselines. Save ten percent and and use half of that to hire more people. The TA's will all face extinction and will begin charging whatever they can to survive. But in the end......

Peter

Archived