Obstructive views Cat DD

Billthekid

We are booked on the Ryndam in Cat C on an Alaska cruise. Holland is running a five day flash special for the Cat DD partially obstrutive view cabins at half the price of what I paid. The Cat DD cabins are all on the lower promanade. Our booked cabin is two doors down from the DD cabin that is half the price. So how bad is the partially obstuctive view? We did have a partially obsturctive view previously on another ship and it was not at all bad. We could see the water and the back end of a tender, but you could see the land. The lower promanade deck is right outside the door so you step on the deck and see what you want.

We are booked on the Ryndam in Cat C on an Alaska cruise. Holland is running a five day flash special for the Cat DD partially obstrutive view cabins at half the price of what I paid. The Cat DD cabins are all on the lower promanade. Our booked cabin is two doors down from the DD cabin that is half the price. So how bad is the partially obstuctive view? We did have a partially obsturctive view previously on another ship and it was not at all bad. We could see the water and the back end of a tender, but you could see the land. The lower promanade deck is right outside the door so you step on the deck and see what you want.

Curious as to whether you already have made final payment. Also, is the 5-day flash for new bookings only?

If you are in penalty phase, the costs to change might erase any savings you hope to enjoy.

Sorry I do not have the answers about the obstructed view cabins ... but wanted to alert you that changing may not be a fancy-free operation.

yes final payment has been made, but my agent indicated "perhaps" we could get a ship board credit for the differance. The agent is double checking the details.

The wording on the Five Day Flash has an asterick in the fare colume. At the bottom of the page is this clause: Terms & Conditions:

*Fares are based on Promo FL. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise only. Fares are in U.S. dollars and include non-discountable amounts. Taxes are additional and vary according to itinerary. Subject to availability. Offers are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Restrictions may apply. Please refer to the appropriate Holland America brochure for full terms and conditions. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

There is also other wording dealing with Cruise/Tours that sez not applicable to new bookings. So a good lawyer may be helpful at this point.

yes final payment has been made, but my agent indicated "perhaps" we could get a ship board credit for the differance. The agent is double checking the details.

Interesting ... because I did check around after my previous post, and it appears that the 5-day flash prices are for new bookings only. Generally, getting those prices means a cancel and rebook ... and loss of confirmed dining choice and cancellation of any pre-booked shore excursions. Please let us know what your agent is able to do for you.

So how bad is the partially obstuctive view?
We've had a DD on the Statendam and Amsterdam. Both times we could see water straight out and to the right, but just steel wall to the left.

In looking at the Ryndam deck plan, (we spent 30 nights on Ryndam in Jan, but in a cat. E oceanview) when you look out your window, it will be onto the promenade deck, and where the large steel sides of the ship are. You will not have a lifeboat directly in your view. There will be nothing directly in front of your window, but beside the promenade will be steel. You should get alot of light in from the window. IMHO, if you can get a credit, I would switch! Use the savings for excursions, or drinks, or whatever! :D

Long story short. Five day flashes are ONLY for new bookings.:mad:. My agent talked to supervisors and they would not budge. Thank you for the insight on the views from Cat DD. In the future if the prices differance is substantial, it will be something I will consider.

Archived