Milan Malpensa Shuttle thief

Regarding riding the Malpensa Shuttle from AP to train station, I have read from two different people that they had their luggage stolen. Apparently by the time they got off the bus, someone had stolen their bags after the driver unloaded the luggage compartment onto the sidewalk. Has anyone else had this experience. I have always wondered if that would happen to me and now I am wondering if maybe we should just take a taxi and pay triple or more the price,

Thanks for any input,

Barbara

Wow....after two trips to Europe I would never leave my luggage out of my sight. There are so many places (guide books etc) where they tell you DO NOT DO THIS. I would have to say that what is in my luggage is definately worth more than triple what a shuttle ride costs versus a taxi ride. Not to mention the inconvenience of not having clothes :eek:

Our last trip ..... we just got back 5 days ago...... one of our fellow cruisers had a carry on bag stolen right out from under them....... took their hand off for a minute and it was g-o-n-e.

We've taken shuttles where our luggage goes underneath the bus. We just make sure that we are off the bus as soon as it stops ... if it's the driver unloading it, we're right behind him.

One thing I use occasionally to keep two pieces (or more) of luggage together, is a cable lock, e.g. for skis. Mine is small and light, but enough to deter someone from quickly grabbing one of my bags and running with it. It wouldn't work in a bus where the driver is unloading luggage, but on a train or bus where your luggage is stored in the vicinity of where you are sitting, it adds a level of security. http://www.shopwiki.com/_DaKine+Cool+Ski%2FSnowboard+Retract+Lock

That's my feelings too. We have decided to go with the private taxi just to be on the safe side. There must be some pretty slick thiefs out there.

Thanks for your input.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

What time is your flight and how much the is the taxi? Maybe we can share it. Our flight arrives at 6am.

Polina.

I have used the shuttle bus from Malpensa to Milan many times and have never encountered a problem. There are no stops between Malpensa and the train station. If you are concerned, just wait outside till the driver closes the loading doors and sit down and be there when the driver opens the cargo door again.

Now, trains in Italy are notorious for baggage thiefs. The luggage rack is often in the back of the car and you just cannot keep your eyes on it. I agree with the cable lock.

Taxi from Milan to Malpensa (or vice versa)is wickedly expensive and goes up depending on the traffic which is always bad.

Here is a site I like to use. http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/ It is fairly up to date.

Archived