Hyatt Regency Miami Questions?

mattyboy

Awhile back some posters had some tips as to how to request and get certain rooms (the more desireable ones) at the Hyatt Miami even though you booked through Priceline.

Anybody still out there or remember how to get the better rooms?

We were just there about 3 weeks ago, booked through priceline... I called about a week before and requested a non-smoking room, as high up facing the cruise ship port. (this is what I wanted... even though many people here said the noise was terrible... and not to face the water) We got there, I asked for the same, and we got the 19th floor... facing the port, had a view of the Carnival ships in port... and loved the room. Noise wasn't a problem for us, but I could see where it might be for some. I was on vacation... the more I saw and heard wasn't a problem... I WAS ON VACATION!

Good luck!

David

We are at the Hyatt right now, Dec 11, 2004, we are just about to go to the pier, request a bay view room, you can see the port, I would try to get room on any level from 9 and up, yes, they are doing some construction, and you are right near the draw bridge, but I thought it was very nice seeing all the boats and tugs use the draw bridge, didn't have a problem with the noise unless you set out on the balcony or keep the window open,,,,we did this, still no real problem. Just enjoying my time before I cruise.

We stayed at the Hyatt on Dec. 10. We called the week before to request a nonsmoking room with a king sized bed. I believe that the rooms that end in a "41" have two balconies because they are corner rooms. They didn't have any of these available when I called--they were totally booked for that night.

We requested a room overlooking the water because we thought we would actually be overlooking the port. You are really overlooking a waterway with a drawbridge. I am a light sleeper, and was up all night due to the noise---every time a truck went over the bridge, there was a loud metallic sounding banging noise. Also woke up several times as barges went through the drawbridge. My husband is a deep sleeper and didn't hear anything.

A taxi to South Beach was $18 plus tip, and then from South Beach to Bayside it was $13 plus tip. We then walked home from Bayside--previous posts have said that you don't want to walk this at night. We were a group of four and walked back to the Hyatt around 9:30 and didn't encounter any problems.

FYI if you are staying there . . . when we got there, a porter grabbed our luggage right away and wheeled it into the registration desk--we gave him a decent tip because we thought he was going to be taking it to our room. Not the case. After we registered, a different porter took our luggage to our room, which involved another tip.

Be careful with the taxis here--CONFIRM the price with the taxi driver when you get in the taxi to go to the pier. Should be about $8. When we got in our taxi, I noticed he didn't reset the meter--when I mentioned it, he said "no English." Got to the port and was given a $12 price tag. My daughter was right behind us in a different taxi--he tried to charge her $14. When I questioned him, he did lower the price.

For breakfast, you have several options. There is a small coffee bar in the lobby but it was really expensive--$3.75 for a bagel.

If you walk out of the hotel and head towards the left, you will see an Ocean Bank building. Just before that building on the corner, there is a Don Pan International Bakery. Line was really long so we didn't eat here--but the prices ran from about $2 to $4 average with a large variety of bakery goods available..

If you walk up to the Don Pan bakery and turn right (there will then be a chain link fenced in construction area on your right)--go one block to the next intersection and turn left. There will be a Subway on the right side (open for breakfast)--a little ways down on your left there is a Starbucks. If you keep going one more block until the road ends in a T intersection--there will be a Walgreens on the corner on the right--we stopped here to pick up some last minute items..

Fanta sea You wrote a very informative review of the hotel. just one more question Is there a location in the hotel that would be considered on the quiet side. Away from the drawbridge and the noises of the trucks We are staying there Jan 23 for 1 night prior to our cruise any help would be most appreciated

We will be there Jan21&22 and Jan.30. There is myself,husband and 2 kids. I did request 2 beds and a Nonsmoking room.The other 3 of them can sleep through anything;unfortunately I can not. Which way/rooms do you suggest I ask for?? I was hoping we could see the ships in Port from our room. Thank-you in advance.

An FYI for all of you who purchased the Hyatt via priceline---be very careful on checking in with your credit card. When we checked in, I had my priceline receipt in hand. I was told I had to give a credit card anyway to cover any incidental costs incurreed, such as telephone. I told them we weren't anticipating any costs, but I was told it was required. Handed over my credit card . . . and two days ago, I had Hyatt charges show up on my Mastercard bill. They charged me again for the room. So right now I am dealing with Elaine in accounting at the Hyatt---and she can't give me a resolution to my problem until next week. I have also spoken to the credit card company, and the big downfall is that I signed that receipt giving them permission to add charges to my credit card.

I don't know if this would work . . . but when you sign the credit card receipt for incidentals on check in--I would write on the bottom--"already paid in full via priceline" and then ask for a copy.

Eddie--I don't know how quiet the other side of the hotel is. If you go to tripadvisor.com and click on Florida hotels at the bottom of the page, you can read reviews of the Hyatt. One or two reviews mention late night parties on top of the Bank of America building nearby---but I can't imagine that being a frequent occurrence. Some of the reviews aren't very favorable--overall, I thought the hotel was a good value for what I paid (provided they refund my money as above in the first paragraph)

If you are not a light sleeper, you probably won't have a problem with the noise on the drawbridge. My husband didn't wake up once during the night and was amazed to hear I didn't sleep because of the noise.

Mattyboy--I don't know if this is what you are looking for--I pasted and copied this off of the tripadvisor.com website:

*TIP: If you are looking for a room with a king-sized bed, get a room that ends in "_41" (ex. 641, 1041, etc.) These rooms are larger than average, all have 2 balconies and, consequently, two different views of the city. A much better view is to be had higher up. I would recommend a "bay" view. Rooms that end in "_38" all have no balconies and one wall of floor-to-ceiling window but are VERY spacious.

*Note: Parking is $20/day unless you park at a lot which is about a 5 minute walk away (costs around $5). We were going to park at one of these discounted lots but my friend saw a guy who looked homeless trying to open the door to a car which was parked in the lot. Downtown overall is a seedy place to stay. Be observant.

No problem for us with draw bridge, you are right near the highway so ... we thought it was very nice to see the tug boats pulling the cargo ship in the early morning and also watching the sailboats and yachts come by during the evening, bed and room were not bad, no problem with priceline, we also have to give credit card no matter where we stay, the bill was under the door in the morning with no additonal charges..by the way the drinks are pricey 8.00 for a drink that only cost 4.75 on the ship (go figure)...but hotel was clean and remember it is connected to the convention center, so conventions do happen all the time, our hotel was full during the time we stayed. When we left for the ship, we just walked out and a door man got us a cab, I think it was $7.00. We payed $21/to get from MIA to Hyatt, there was no traffic and the cabbie was quick, if traffic the rate will be higher. There is a list of prices right outside of baggage claim and you decide on the price roughly before you go in the cab

Archived