HoHo buses

We are thinking of doing the Hop On Hop Off buses in some of the cities on our Baltic Cruise. Are these buses crowded when they get to certain stops, and can you usually get on, when you need to?. I would hate to have to wait for 2 or 3 buses to come by before we could get on one.

Say Copenhagen, Stockholm or Helsinki, how are the Ho Ho's???

We are thinking of doing the Hop On Hop Off buses in some of the cities on our Baltic Cruise. Are these buses crowded when they get to certain stops, and can you usually get on, when you need to?. I would hate to have to wait for 2 or 3 buses to come by before we could get on one.

Say Copenhagen, Stockholm or Helsinki, how are the Ho Ho's???

We took the HoHo in Helsinki. Duration of bus tour is 1 Hr 15 min. Adults 25 Euros. Frankly, I wasn't impressed. There isn't much to see past city center so Hop On and Off is not efficient. Here is a link with a map:

http://www.stromma.se/en/Sightseeing/Helsinki/Combination-tours/Helsinki-in-a-nutshell/

We have decided to take the HOHO boat in Stockholm. Very reasonable and looks to go to the major areas. We may decide to pick up the HO HO bus later or just take the city bus around to where we want to go. We haven't decided that part yet. Time will probably dictate that. You can book HOHO boat ticket vouchers on that internet travel site that can be very expedient :).

In my opinion, the HO-HO buses in the Baltic cities are really not the preferred way to see the sites. Unless you are physically handicapped, you don't need to use them at all in Tallinn and Helsinki. Both of those cities should be walked, and/or by tram!

In Copenhagen you could consider using the Ho-ho, if it is available from the port. But again, public transportation is very easy to use. Then a boat tour and the walk by Johann Christian Andersen will give you the highlights of that city (sure there are many more, but so be it).

Stockholm has a very nice tour so you can see most of the city and surrounding area by bus followed by a boat tour. Google it if you can or let me know if you want the web site. We did that and then spent the afternoon in Old Town and took the ferry to the Vasa museum.

Gdansk, Poland, does not need one. The main problem there, for most cruise ships, is to get you into town and that is about all you want to see, unless you go out of town.

Perhaps I am being too general, but Ho-ho buses are nice in cities such as Barcelona, Spain, and others where the attractions are far apart. We did use it there and found it to be a good way to see a lot. But even in Amsterdam you could do this bus (or even canal ho-ho) or simply walk.

Are the buses crowded when you need to get on them, or is there usually room when they stop. When we want to get back to the ship, I don't want to wait for 2-3 buses before there is room to get on. Is there usually room for everyone waiting to get on??

Public bus is close to the pier in Helsinki. HO HO bus is right next to the ship in Copenhagen. Walk along to the Little Mermaid (about 5-7 minutes from the ship) then return and get on the bus. There were 3!!! of them waiting for people there!!

It is a bit of a walk to Gamla Stan in Stockholm but next to the ship the other direction is the HO HO boat.

Hope this helps!

Archived