Tipping off the ship

We also had our share of tour operators and drivers asking for tips. The one that got to me the most was at the FLL airport, the Delta employee checking our bags asked 3 times for a tip. We tipped because we wanted to make sure our luggage got on the right plane, but we grumbled about that to ourselves for awhile. I feel like Delta pays him a good salary and checking bags is his job.

After so many "hands out for a tip regardless of what they did for you" horror stories, I just had to post my story - the absolute opposite experience!!

In St. Thomas, I went snorkeling off a ship sponsored catamaran cruise. While getting into the water, my underwater camera slipped off it's strap and ended up 20 feet down on the sand. The captain of the boat graciously went down and retrieved it for me. (I don't dive well.)

While I was putting the strap back over my neck, my snorkel gear then slipped off my head and ended up . . . where else? At the bottom of the ocean, 20 feet down. Who'd thunk it didn't float? Experienced snorkeler I am not! I'm sure the captain thought I was the tourist from h*ll, but he again dove down to retrieve it and never uttered a word to me.

At the end of the cruise, I made sure to tip him above and beyond what I gave the other crew members. He kindly thanked me, said I didn't really need to give him extra, and that he would just put it into the common tip jar, to share with the rest of the crew. Talk about a class act!! You don't find many like that out there. Makes up for all the rest of the demanding people.

After so many "hands out for a tip regardless of what they did for you" horror stories, I just had to post my story - the absolute opposite experience!!

In St. Thomas, I went snorkeling off a ship sponsored catamaran cruise. While getting into the water, my underwater camera slipped off it's strap and ended up 20 feet down on the sand. The captain of the boat graciously went down and retrieved it for me. (I don't dive well.)

While I was putting the strap back over my neck, my snorkel gear then slipped off my head and ended up . . . where else? At the bottom of the ocean, 20 feet down. Who'd thunk it didn't float? Experienced snorkeler I am not! I'm sure the captain thought I was the tourist from h*ll, but he again dove down to retrieve it and never uttered a word to me.

At the end of the cruise, I made sure to tip him above and beyond what I gave the other crew members. He kindly thanked me, said I didn't really need to give him extra, and that he would just put it into the common tip jar, to share with the rest of the crew. Talk about a class act!! You don't find many like that out there. Makes up for all the rest of the demanding people.

That's the extra mile we talking about, nice story he realy earn the tip and see, he is so honest to share with others that's what I call a real gentlemen.

i tip the cab to the ship, the porter at the pier, taxi drivers on islands, ferry boat crews (but not tenders), shore excursions i tip 5.00 per person in our party for a short tour, more for a longer tour, my husband loves to tip bar staff in cash...he says it means better service, I just don't see that increase in service, and often times I tip the waiter and asst waiter additional at the end of the cruise. maybe they all see me coming, but i enjoy it!

Beverly

Archived