Torn between Tours

Perstef81

We're looking at two cruise tour options on princess this summer. Both are direct to the wilderness tours. The first(ZA4) flys to fairbanks and then goes down through denali before ending in Anchorage. The second (YA4) stays in the denali longer but also has a stop at the McKinley lodge.

Interestingly enough, the two princess operators have recommended the opposite tours for different reasons. Both are very close in price and the same length so it all comes down to which will be the best value for the money. Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

What ship are you looking at and what dates are you planning to travel.

I have booked tour that was offered in a two for one deal. We stay only one night in

Denali and two nights in Mt. McKinley. We will travel south on Coral.

I would prefer to spend two nights in Denali but the price was great for this cruise tour.

My husband and I did a Princess Cruisetour last summer. Not sure of the number but we were on the Diamond Princess.

We flew into Fairbanks and had 2 nights there. Really enjoyed the Eldorado Gold Mine Tour and Paddlewheel Discovery.

Next day took the train to Denali. Had 2 nights there with the Tundra Wilderness Tour in between. Great and not to be missed. We only saw the very top of Denali but there is a lot more to see in the park.

Next day train to Talkeetna and a bus to Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge. The mountain was clouded over and we never did see it. There is nothing to do here - you are about an hour away from the nearest town (Talkeetna). Because there's no telling about the mountain being out, you may want to skip this. I certainly wouldn't do 2 nights here unless they offered you some sort of tour thrown in to the cost.

Next day bus to Anchorage with a stop at the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Great place to investigate. Lots of info on Alaska and its people.

Next day train to Whittier to board the ship.

The ship did College Fjord, Glacier Bay, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

This trip was a great introduction to Alaska.

In fact, we liked it so much that we are sailing again in June. This time we'll see Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria.

We only switched cruiselines because we wanted a different itinerary. We loved everything about Princess (with the exception of one bus that had no leg room for my 6'2" husband).

Hope this info helped.

Dorothy

We're looking at going in August. Either the first or second week depending on what tour we take. It will be on either Diamond or Saphire depending on which tour.

The one tour includes Fairbanks (but no McKinley) which I'm leaning towards and the other doesn't have Fairbanks but goes to McKinley which we're told has a longer scenic train ride (Which of course is what my travelmate wants) since you don't fly any part of it like you do with the Fairbanks tour. So far I haven't heard any strong positive opinions of McKinley though.

This is our first Alaskan and we're not really looking for the best price, but the best bang for our buck.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

The McKinley Lodge is nice, but very remote as said above, and we thought one night was enough. I would choose the tour with two nights in Denali. We also enjoyed Fairbanks very much and especially the Riverboat tour. We had two different legs of the trip via the train (our tour went Northbound from Anchorage to Fairbanks)-from Anchorage to Talkeetna, then from Talkeetna to Denali. The portion from Talkeetna to Denali was MUCH prettier scenery. You will love Alaska:)

If you want a scenic train ride, go for the train in Skagway. This will be much more scenic than the inland trains you are talking about. If the tracks are repaired by August I would suggest going all the way to Carcross. The scenery is breathtaking. IF the tracks are not repaired, then take the train to Fraser. The train ride from Skagway is often listed on the top ten train rides in the world.

I would not choose to stay in McKinley for two nights. Actually, I would prefer not to stop there at all. Make sure that your Denali itinerary includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour and not the Natural History Tour.

What was that riverboat tour like? Where did it go, how long was it? We were wondering about the details...

Is that tundra wilderness tour an excursion or something included like the natural history tour? This is the first we've heard about that one and we can't find it in the princess book.

As another poster stated, there's not much to occupy your time at the McKinley Princess. If Denali is out, the view is spectacular but that is so weather dependent and you can't count on it. You'll be there with strictly other Princess tour groups for whom the hotel was built.

Time is better spent at Denali National Park since one day will be spent going into the park.

Is that tundra wilderness tour an excursion or something included like the natural history tour? This is the first we've heard about that one and we can't find it in the princess book.

The cruisetours that go to Denali typically include either the Natural History Tour or the Tundra Wilderness Tour. The Natural History Tour is very inferior, going only 17 miles into the Park. The Tundra Wilderness goes at least 53 miles into the park. As BQ often says, the Natural History Tour is like going to Disneyworld and never leaving the parking lot. Seems a shame to travel all the way to Alaska, arrange to get to Denali and then only go on the Natural History Tour. JMHO.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm

The cruisetours that go to Denali typically include either the Natural History Tour or the Tundra Wilderness Tour. The Natural History Tour is very inferior, going only 17 miles into the Park. The Tundra Wilderness goes at least 53 miles into the park. As BQ often says, the Natural History Tour is like going to Disneyworld and never leaving the parking lot. Seems a shame to travel all the way to Alaska, arrange to get to Denali and then only go on the Natural History Tour. JMHO.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm

In fact, if you have a car, you can go the same places the natural history tour goes on your own. Private vehicles can go about 15 miles in which is as far as the natural history tour goes. Your odds on seeing wildlife on this tour are minimum at best.

In fact, if you have a car, you can go the same places the natural history tour goes on your own. Private vehicles can go about 15 miles in which is as far as the natural history tour goes. Your odds on seeing wildlife on this tour are minimum at best.

Actually, I believe the Natural History Tour goes 2 miles further than you can go with your own car. However, you need to go much further than that to really experience Denali.

Interestingly enough, the two princess operators have recommended the opposite tours for different reasons. Both are very close in price and the same length so it all comes down to which will be the best value for the money. Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

What do you mean by "princess operators?"

With Tour YA4 you have two nights in Denali which is a better option. If you choose this tour, tell Princess you do not want the Natural History Tour. In the past, they have given people a price adjustment for skipping this tour. Then book your own shuttle or tour into Denali. You will have a far superior experience in Denali. Many on this board have done this and can give you information if you are interested.

Many of Princess tours only included the NHT in the past. HOwever, some did include the TWT. If you are not seeing this offered at all this year, perhaps they eliminated it to keep their costs down. Frankly, you can do better than either of these tours. You may have to look at another cruiseline if interested.

The Riverboat tour in Fairbanks was lots of fun-the boat goes along a river, with a narrator telling you about history and what you are seeing on the shore. You also saw a seaplane demonstration was shown and a dog sled camp with the owner narrating. The boat stopped at a recreation of an Atabascan Indian camp and you were given a tour showing crafts and demos of the type of things the Indians did in their daily life. It was very interesting. Our cruisetour also included the Gold Mine, which was just OK-a bit hokey, in our opinion. However, on the bus to the gold mine a stop was made to show us the Alaska Pipeline, which we found to be quite interesting!

Actually, I believe the Natural History Tour goes 2 miles further than you can go with your own car. However, you need to go much further than that to really experience Denali.

We are booked on Diamond Princess in July featuring the Natual Hisitory Tour - does anyone know if you can upgrade this at the lodge and what is the cost??? Thanks:)

We are booked on Diamond Princess in July featuring the Natual Hisitory Tour - does anyone know if you can upgrade this at the lodge and what is the cost??? Thanks:)

I would not wait until I got there to upgrade as tours do often sell out.

it miight not be possible to switch to the TWT if you only have one night at Denali. An early morning park shuttle might be an option, but there might be no transportation available from the lodge to the park.

We chose a NB cruise tour several years ago that included one night in Anchorage, 2 nights in Denali, and 2 nights in Fairbanks, and were happy with our choice, as it included the TWT as well as ample time for additional activities (including rafting, horseback riding, hiking).

Thanks but unfortunately that is what is included in our land tour. Has anyone had any luck changing the natural history tour to the tundra wilderness tour? Thanks again:)

I think the poster above meant to call them now to switch and not wait until you get there, which is my opinion. Just call Princess and they will change it for you. I cancelled the NHT and booked the shuttle.

it miight not be possible to switch to the TWT if you only have one night at Denali. An early morning park shuttle might be an option, but there might be no transportation available from the lodge to the park.

We chose a NB cruise tour several years ago that included one night in Anchorage, 2 nights in Denali, and 2 nights in Fairbanks, and were happy with our choice, as it included the TWT as well as ample time for additional activities (including rafting, horseback riding, hiking).

We are doing a SB cruise - and perhaps time is an issue.. I will have to check into it further - Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.:)

We are doing a SB cruise - and perhaps time is an issue.. I will have to check into it further - Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.:)
if need be, it is possible to walk from the Denali Princess lodge to the shuttle bus departure point...about a mile or so. Might be nice to stretch your legs a bit that day anyways, and well worth the effort if means seeing more of the park.

if need be, it is possible to walk from the Denali Princess lodge to the shuttle bus departure point...about a mile or so. Might be nice to stretch your legs a bit that day anyways, and well worth the effort if means seeing more of the park.

That sounds like a great plan... could use a little walk after being on a plane, bus, train, etc. etc. thanks again:p

Archived