Jewels of The Med - Help for new cruisers please

Our group of six female first timers are going on the Destiny, Jewels of The Med in July, stopping at Palermo, Naples, Olbia, Toulon and Barcelona. I'm hoping some of you experienced cruisers can answer some of my questions.

Which of these stops are 'must do's' and which are missable and have you any tips for making the most of these stops?

How can I find out exactly where the ship docks in order to plan a detailed itinerary?

What night is the main Gala Dinner?

Are there any hints and tips to get the most out of this particular ship and itinerary?

Any help will be very much appreciated by this group of novices.

Our group of six female first timers are going on the Destiny, Jewels of The Med in July, stopping at Palermo, Naples, Olbia, Toulon and Barcelona. I'm hoping some of you experienced cruisers can answer some of my questions.

Which of these stops are 'must do's' and which are missable and have you any tips for making the most of these stops?

How can I find out exactly where the ship docks in order to plan a detailed itinerary?

What night is the main Gala Dinner?

Are there any hints and tips to get the most out of this particular ship and itinerary?

Any help will be very much appreciated by this group of novices.

Hello ladies.

We haven't been on the Destiny yet, (we're going next year for our 30th anniversary).

A lot of experienced cruisers will tell you to arrange your own trips, but we've been happy to use the ship's excursions. Also if the excursion is late back for some reason the ship will wait for you.

But they won't if you've done your own and are late back.

I can help with some of the ports.

Naples is obviously a must see stop. You can take your pick here, Pompeii, Hericulanum, Capri, Sorrento, Vesuvius or the Amalfi Drive.

As we'd been before on a hotel holiday to Sorrento we did an excursion that combined Pompeii and a visit to Sorrento.

We're stopping in Naples again on our cruise next week and we wanted to go to the museum, but it's closed on Tuesdays. So we're off to hericulanum. I prefer it as it's more compact and you seem to see more. (Pompeii is huge)

We stopped in Toulon last cruise and it was a waste of time, the only port we were unhappy with.

Barcelona you can do on your own. WE did last time. There is a Hop on Hop off bus that starts right ouside the port entrance.

We saw most of the main sites, Gaudi's cathedral, Las Ramblas, wandered through the Gothic quarter and had time to stroll back along the sea front to the ship.

If you go here you can see a list of most of the excursions available for each port.

http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewItineraryList.do

Berwyn

Toulon has a local market which isn't bad and some waterfront cafes very close to where the ship berths but I would recommend the half day trip to Cassis at this port of call. You can have a look at Toulon when you get back - there is a small train taking trips around the town.

Cassis a lovely ride to a pretty old fishing village which is now very popoular with tourists and locals. You stop at the top of the village and are taken by a little train close to the waterfront. It's charming with lots of waterfront cafes and restaurants, a beach and harbour area to stroll around. You also stop at a view point to look down on Cassis rfom the second highest cliffs in Europe. Quite a viewpoint! The sea was a glorious turquoise the day we went. Here's a link to give you an idea.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://charterpartner.com/pics/France/060430_Cassis_Hafen_67_800.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.france.charterpartner.com/cassis.htm&usg=__MpzgfRjNjUGMyo8HcrvqliWNeBs=&h=318&w=800&sz=59&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=xknOORDWaJxxOM:&tbnh=57&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcassis%2Bfrance%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4SNYK_en-GBGB258GB258%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1

Been on Destiny 3 times - it's fab, you'll love it! The cabins are a bit small and dated but v clean and to be honest you prob won't spend much time in there anyway. The Gala Dinner is usually on the second night. Don't miss the sailaway party on the first night - it's really good fun - it's like New Years Eve countdown! We usually have breakfast in the Lido but in the evening mainly went to 7 Seas restaurant where we were pampered. Food is great. The entertainment was also great - even the daft games, Mr & Mrs etc. We have only ever done one organised trip as we tend to do our own thing. Barcelona is great but as already advised, you can do it on your own. Have a great time, we're going on Med Rennaisance next week! :D

Hi Sadieberg:)

I can vouch for the trip to Cassis when visiting Toulon.

Kruzseeka recommended this trip to us and we went last year when we did the Jewels of the Med cruise. It really is a very good trip and well worth seeing. It's very picturesque and I'm really glad we went.

Regards

Janet

Thanks all for your advice.

It looks like Naples will be the big tour - private driver/guide taking in either Pompeii or Herculaneum, then drive the Amalfi coast taking a look at Ravello, Amalfi & Positano (as time permits) then drive to Sorrento to get the ferry or hydrofoil back to ship. Do you have any suggestions about this itinerary, is it too much? should we get the ferry from Positano? We only get 10 hours docked, 9 hours for tour to be on the safe side.

The second organised tour we do looks like it should be Cassis. Not as rushed as Naples, I think we will get a taxi from the port on the day because for 6 of us it is probably as cheap as public transport. Will we have any problem getting a taxi for 6 or should we try and book ahead?

It looks like the other stops are all doable by ourselves walking from the boat. We will want to take Palermo day easy because it is the day after the Gala Dinner if it is on our second night as it was for Wiganath.

Thanks all for your advice.

It looks like Naples will be the big tour - private driver/guide taking in either Pompeii or Herculaneum, then drive the Amalfi coast taking a look at Ravello, Amalfi & Positano (as time permits) then drive to Sorrento to get the ferry or hydrofoil back to ship. Do you have any suggestions about this itinerary, is it too much? should we get the ferry from Positano? We only get 10 hours docked, 9 hours for tour to be on the safe side.

The second organised tour we do looks like it should be Cassis. Not as rushed as Naples, I think we will get a taxi from the port on the day because for 6 of us it is probably as cheap as public transport. Will we have any problem getting a taxi for 6 or should we try and book ahead?

It looks like the other stops are all doable by ourselves walking from the boat. We will want to take Palermo day easy because it is the day after the Gala Dinner if it is on our second night as it was for Wiganath.

Hi there,

We did the Thomson trip to Cassis. On the Ports of Call info on Thomson's site, it's being advertised at £29 each for a 5 hour trip. I don't know how easy it will be for a DiY job - but obviously a private taxi is an alternative especially as there are 6 of you - it could work out cheaper.

I think your schedule looks a bit heavy for Naples as I believe the traffic along the Amalfi Coast can be bad - the destination services info points out that travelling time may be longer than suggested for their trips so you need to allow for that.

Pompeii is a huge site - 2 hours I would say would be needed to see all the main attractions there. [Perhaps Herculaneum which is smaller may be a more realistic.] We've been to Pompeii independently by train - but that was the main focus of our day there. We had time to explore Naples a little before going back to the ship but this destination covers a large area with several high profile attractions. It may not be possible to cover all the bases on one visit but perhaps other travellers, especially those who have tried private taxi firms, would be able to advise you better.

Have you looked at the Mediterranean Forum? A lot of Americans go in for private tours so you may do well to pose your question there. Anyway, good luck with your planning.

Archived