Sailing During Galveston Mardi Gras

texreno

Our Roll Call group was planning to wear Mardi Gras beads during embarkation so we could spot one another. While discussing where some of our member could purchase Mardi Gras beads it hit me that we were sailing in Feb. 2010. After a quick check of future Galveston Mardi Gras dates, I found that we were sailing right smack-dab in the middle to the celebration. So much for our plan on how to spot each other. Everyone will be wearing Mardi Gras beads.

Long story but I do have a question here.

Can anyone give us advice on what it's like embarking and debarking during Mardi Gras in Galveston? We're on the VOS sailing Feb. 7 - 14, 2010. Galveston's 2010 Mardi Gras dates are Feb. 5 through Fat Tuesday on Feb. 16.

I've gotten on the Voyager during Mardi Gras. The only hassle was that streets were blocked to cross traffic near the port. So when the shuttle went from EZ Cruise parking to terminal, it had to go many extra blocks down and back adding about 20 minutes to the time to get to the ship. Nothing else seemed to be going on in that area late morning to early afternoon. If you want to stay in Galveston overnight pre-cruise, book it early. (my experience was the year before the hurricane hit, so there may be some changes)

If you arrive early enough, I'll wave to you. I'll be sailing the week before you.

How about a large fake flower pinned to something or a tacky plastic lei since lots of folks will probably be in beads.

Archived