Help...which cruise do we pick?

scorpiomum

OK, so we have cruised twice on RCI before in the med (we live in Ireland) and we are looking to pick up a bargain for this summer. Have two cruises in mind, and just cant choose so would appreciate any advice given.

The choices are Celebrity Equinox, maiden voyage (which i think could be exciting). Its 8 nights and leaves from Southanpton and does the Norwegian Fjords. We can get a great deal on a sky suite. we have never saled Celebrity, love the idea of being spoiled with Butler service. i was worried about the kids club but after having looked through comments here people said their kids loved the fun factory. But this will be a fairly quiet, relaxing cruise i suspect.

The alternative is 10 Night Scandanavia and Russia on Emerald Princess. We can only afford a balcony cabin so will have 2 adults and 2 children squashed in a room. We have only ever been in a grand suite on RCI. But its so port intensive we will hardly be in the room. Only 1 sea day. My husband is a little worried about the ship as he didnt like the Navigator and prefers to find quiet areas for a drink at night. We did however love the Brilliance.

so any advice? we havent been to the norwegian fjords which are very pretty, but st petersberg and northern europe sound fantastic. luxury and relaxation? or port intensive?

thanks

natalie

OK, so we have cruised twice on RCI before in the med (we live in Ireland) and we are looking to pick up a bargain for this summer. Have two cruises in mind, and just cant choose so would appreciate any advice given.

The choices are Celebrity Equinox, maiden voyage (which i think could be exciting). Its 8 nights and leaves from Southanpton and does the Norwegian Fjords. We can get a great deal on a sky suite. we have never saled Celebrity, love the idea of being spoiled with Butler service. i was worried about the kids club but after having looked through comments here people said their kids loved the fun factory. But this will be a fairly quiet, relaxing cruise i suspect.

The alternative is 10 Night Scandanavia and Russia on Emerald Princess. We can only afford a balcony cabin so will have 2 adults and 2 children squashed in a room. We have only ever been in a grand suite on RCI. But its so port intensive we will hardly be in the room. Only 1 sea day. My husband is a little worried about the ship as he didnt like the Navigator and prefers to find quiet areas for a drink at night. We did however love the Brilliance.

so any advice? we havent been to the norwegian fjords which are very pretty, but st petersberg and northern europe sound fantastic. luxury and relaxation? or port intensive?

thanks

natalie

Sky suite

Maiden voyage

Celebrity

Norwegian Fjords

vs

Balcony

Regular cruise

Princess

Scandinavia and Russia

I'd choose the former for luxury, relaxation and being pampered unless Scandinavia and Russia far outweigh Norwegian Fjords in your mind.

Never been on Celebrity, but have sailed Princess quite a few times. I'd go with the Celebrity option. A balcony cabin on Princess with 4 people would be pretty cramped and I don't think Princess is a better line than Celebrity that would warrant taking a lesser cabin for the same price.

The port-intensive itinerary would appeal to me, but then I have to fly 13 hours to get to Europe so I want to see as much as possible when I'm there. You guys live there, it's probably different for you. I will say, with kids I think it's nice to have more of a mix of sea days and port days, otherwise I'd end my vacation totally exhausted. Although, this probably depends on the age and independence of your kids, too.

I don't know what your future travel plans are like, but for me a European cruise is really all about the ports. You seem to be close enough ( compared to me ;) ) I'd probably also opt for Celebrity if I was in Europe like you.

Coming from the America's if price was the same , I'd pick the ports everytime. I can never be sure if and when I'll ever get to visit any given region/place and every vacation with the kids is priceless, and find even when I return to the same place again again to be different and special each time. Even if I get back around someday the kids will be older and maybe busy who knows. For me butler service and square feet, could never measure up to a timeless day in a special port with your children at a magical age.

Just my counterpoint thought :D

Archived