Minis in checked bags

sokz

Has anyone ever put mini bar bottle things in your checked bags? do the bag checker people remove them if they see them or anything? I was thinking on doing this to save on some bar bills.

Thanks

Has anyone ever put mini bar bottle things in your checked bags? do the bag checker people remove them if they see them or anything? I was thinking on doing this to save on some bar bills.

Thanks

I chatted with some cruiser friends today. They have sailed five times in large groups (usually 8 couples or so). They say if you are taking booze on board to make sure it is in your checked luggage and not your carry on. They have routinely carried on beer and bottles for the group and have never been questionned or stopped. Hope this helps!!

You may bring the 1 bottle of wine per person in you checked in luggage. You may also bring a small quantity of soda.The bags go through the x-ray for detection, so it's really up to the person manning the station. I have included a plastic suntan lotion shaped bottle of rum and had it go through, I have had 3 beers taken out and I have had 2 bottles of wine go through.

I've taken 12 packs of beer, litre bottles of booze, bottles/boxes of wine. All with no problem in the checked baggage. Don't waste your time with minis. Go big!:)

You can always take home what you do not drink...and those minis are expensive.

I know this is Carnival but I caught an interesting show the other night on cruises and liquor revenue.

They focused on the NCL Pearl and said that they have to earn $112,000 on each cruise in liquor sales just to break even.(in liquor costs) Further they said that they must also earn 25% of the sales for one cruise once the passangers are on board, the rest or 75% coming from the cruise cost. Again, just a break even, Knowing all of this I gained a better understanding as to why they are x-raying baggage and trying to stop brining liquor on board.

Now I know NCL enforces this policy much stronger than the other lines, and I cant say that these numbers equally relates to Carnival, but LOL, being a CPA I found the numbers interesting.

I know this is Carnival but I caught an interesting show the other night on cruises and liquor revenue.

They focused on the NCL Pearl and said that they have to earn $112,000 on each cruise in liquor sales just to break even.(in liquor costs) Further they said that they must also earn 25% of the sales for one cruise once the passangers are on board, the rest or 75% coming from the cruise cost. Again, just a break even, Knowing all of this I gained a better understanding as to why they are x-raying baggage and trying to stop brining liquor on board.

Now I know NCL enforces this policy much stronger than the other lines, and I cant say that these numbers equally relates to Carnival, but LOL, being a CPA I found the numbers interesting.

I don't for one second doubt what you have posted as exactly what was reported. I do find a lot to question on "Liquor Cost"

I drink Bombay Sapphire. Carnival sells it in their duty free shop for around $ 20.00 per liter. A one ounce shot at a bar is $ 5.75. Divide that into $ 112,000.oo and you have 19,478 drinks needed to be sold..

Assuming Carnival(NCL) is NOT making a profit when the sell you the liter out of the duty free shop (Ha-Ha-Ha),200.gif and assuming the bartenders "spike" the drink with 1 1/2 ozs (Ha-Ha-Ha). 200.gif With those assumptions weighed heavily in Carnivals(NCL) favor, the liquor cost them about $ 1.oo per drink.. Ice must be VERY expensive on ships ~~!!~~

Total Cost less than $ 19,000.oo total retail $ 112,000.oo ???????

If you factor in the over priced DOD made with less expensive liquor and mixers and sold @ $7.50, their profit margin increases.

Thanks

To answer your original question, yes I have, on many cruises over several cruiselines and have not been called to the naughty room yet. those small mini (airplane drink sized) bottles fit well in the toes of shoes, makeup bags, evening purses, etc. as you pack.:D

Allows you more diversity in drink offerings if you pack several different types of liquor.:cool:

Dianne

Another advantage to the minis is that you can carry them on board the aircraft in your carry-on, as long as you put them in a quart size ziplock bag. Trust me, you can put a lot of them in one bag. I don't trust airport baggage handlers with large bottles in my checked bags, so I pack the minis. Plus, as a previous poster noted, you can bring a greater variety.

Just a thought.... For the price you pay per ounce for those minis, wouldn't you be better off buying a liter (quart) from the Bon Voyage Dept? Yeah, it costs about double from what you will pay at a liquor store, but, I think you will wind up paying the same, and the booze is delivered to your room waiting for you to enjoy!;)

Just a thought.... For the price you pay per ounce for those minis, wouldn't you be better off buying a liter (quart) from the Bon Voyage Dept? Yeah, it costs about double from what you will pay at a liquor store, but, I think you will wind up paying the same, and the booze is delivered to your room waiting for you to enjoy!;)

Let me see, one quart of one brand of liquor verses a variety of drink possibilities from minis for about the same price? Hmmmm, I'd have to think about that.

Thought about it. I like a variety. It's the spice of life.:p

Dianne

That is what we did last cruise, also bought 40 drink coupons :eek: Not only can you bring a variety of drinks in your checked luggage, but they are easier to pack. Also when you go into a port it is alot more convienient than trying to get a bigger bottle out. On deck you just throw a couple in your beach bag, get your pop or juice and just dump it in, no need to keep going back to your cabin for a refill.

That is what we did last cruise, also bought 40 drink coupons :eek: Not only can you bring a variety of drinks in your checked luggage, but they are easier to pack. Also when you go into a port it is alot more convienient than trying to get a bigger bottle out. On deck you just throw a couple in your beach bag, get your pop or juice and just dump it in, no need to keep going back to your cabin for a refill.

;)

Dianne

I don't for one second doubt what you have posted as exactly what was reported. I do find a lot to question on "Liquor Cost"

I drink Bombay Sapphire. Carnival sells it in their duty free shop for around $ 20.00 per liter. A one ounce shot at a bar is $ 5.75. Divide that into $ 112,000.oo and you have 19,478 drinks needed to be sold..

Assuming Carnival(NCL) is NOT making a profit when the sell you the liter out of the duty free shop (Ha-Ha-Ha),200.gif and assuming the bartenders "spike" the drink with 1 1/2 ozs (Ha-Ha-Ha). 200.gif With those assumptions weighed heavily in Carnivals(NCL) favor, the liquor cost them about $ 1.oo per drink.. Ice must be VERY expensive on ships ~~!!~~

Total Cost less than $ 19,000.oo total retail $ 112,000.oo ???????

If you factor in the over priced DOD made with less expensive liquor and mixers and sold @ $7.50, their profit margin increases.

I agree with what you are saying here. To break it down a little more. A liter bottle yields appox 33.8 one ounce shots and 22.5 two and one-half shots. A liter bottle will bring nearly $190.00 @ 1 oz shots @ 5.75 per. That's a pretty dang good return for investment.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't evolved into a rant condemning people who even think about bring on their own libations. That sure isn't my intent here.

If Carnival really wanted to stop "smuggling" of booze on board and boost their sales, it wouldn't be that hard to do. First they would have to get serious about inspections of checked luggage (which they are not) and second cut the prices by 1/3 of what they are now. I can say with confidence the bottom line would much more profitable. Fewer people would feel the need to use rum runners and other "smuggling" tactics. Just my humble opinion based on all I read on this board.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't evolved into a rant condemning people who even think about bring on their own libations. That sure isn't my intent here.

If Carnival really wanted to stop "smuggling" of booze on board and boost their sales, it wouldn't be that hard to do. First they would have to get serious about inspections of checked luggage (which they are not) and second cut the prices by 1/3 of what they are now. I can say with confidence the bottom line would much more profitable. Fewer people would feel the need to use rum runners and other "smuggling" tactics. Just my humble opinion based on all I read on this board.

Your idea sounds good on paper but I still think there would be people who try to smuggle liquor on board no matter how cheap the drinks from the cruiseline.

Just like the # of people who smuggle an iron on board because they don't want to take the time to use the irons in the laundry rooms onboard.

Dianne

Your idea sounds good on paper but I still think there would be people who try to smuggle liquor on board no matter how cheap the drinks from the cruiseline.

Just like the # of people who smuggle an iron on board because they don't want to take the time to use the irons in the laundry rooms onboard.

Dianne

I can't disagree with you on that, you are right. However, if CCL was thorough in the inspections and consistent with confiscations, it could effectively be shut down to a very bare minimum. I don't know first hand but according to what others have said, the competing cruise lines don't have near as much problems.

As you implied, it is JUST a theory, BTW I plan of bringing some of my own next year.

Also, I have zero confidence that Carnival would lower their prices a dime even if no one "smuggled".

Thanks

I have never tried smuggling minis.

Have taken on boxed wine, along with a 26 of baileys, and rum.

We do it so we can enjoy drinks in our cabin. Not a major savings on the bar bill, as beer poolside is the best!

I can't disagree with you on that, you are right. However, if CCL was thorough in the inspections and consistent with confiscations, it could effectively be shut down to a very bare minimum. I don't know first hand but according to what others have said, the competing cruise lines don't have near as much problems.

As you implied, it is JUST a theory, BTW I plan of bringing some of my own next year.

Also, I have zero confidence that Carnival would lower their prices a dime even if no one "smuggled".

I don't think Carnival really cares about ``gentle'' smuggling of a few ounces of liquor. They scan more for the big time smugglers who bring a full bar or a few cases of beer on board.

NCL probably has the most strict policy of bringing alcohol onboard as any of the mass cruiselines yet the prices of drinks on NCL are fairly comparable to those on Carnival, RCL, Princess, etc.

(However, I do think that NCL actually adds real alcohol to their DOD's, unlike the other cruiselines we've traveled.:))

On cruiselines other than NCL I always ask for an extra rum floater for my pina coladas just so I can taste the rum. Forgot which line I was sailing on last year. Ordered the extra floater, took the first taste and then remembered I don't have to do that on NCL.:D;)

Dianne

I always take my own aboard in my checked luggage. I like Seagrams VO and no cruise line carries this. I still partake at the bars but there is nothing better than sitting on your balcony with your favorite drink and watching the sunset. By the way, I also use rum runners. Love them!!!

This is what happened to my brother. He took some Minis on board with him and they drank them in the room, well the next morning the steward picked them up and they got charged for the drinks because he thought that they came out of the frig. Well my brother was kind of embarrassed, he did not want to go to the pursers desk and ask for the money back and have to tell them they he smuggled booze onboard, so he waited until he say the steward and told him that the bottles that he was charged for did not come from the fridge, that they were brought in. The steward apologized and got him a refund.

So just make sure that they are not left out for the room stewards to pick them up, at least the brands that Carnival sells.

My DH brings a bottle of rum and I bring a bottle of gin each cruise. We put it in mouthwash bottles, shampoo bottles etc and have never had a problem - 12 cruises and counting. We always also order drinks from the cruiseline - like others - it's nice to have something to drink on the balcony.

We did see many try to bring booze back on from ports this past March, in water bottles - they all got caught - security asked for the water bottles and then shook them -

Think I'll order some Rum Runners for DH for Christmas - sounds like they work pretty well.

Archived