Formal nights on Princess

Cool seas

"On our first formal night we were seated next to a table of 8 who showed up in shorts, jeans, flip-flops, baseball caps, and cover-ups over swim-suits. And this was the second seating. It actually looked like an all out attempt to see if they would get kicked out.

"

Cover ups over swimsuits? I guess they boarded that way if lost luggage is their excuse.:(

"So people with lost luggage showed up in traveling clothes.

Formal dress is part of cruising history"

Since when? Princess states there are formal nights on their itineraries.

Just because you want it to be history doesn't make it so.

"The fashion police are free to continue to come to this board and lament on the changes in formal night dress until they get use to the fact that it is part of history. "

We aren't fashion police. We are answering the OP's question truthfully. You aren't. We wouldn't want you to give the wrong information to the OP. :p

"On our first formal night we were seated next to a table of 8 who showed up in shorts, jeans, flip-flops, baseball caps, and cover-ups over swim-suits. And this was the second seating. It actually looked like an all out attempt to see if they would get kicked out.

"

Cover ups over swimsuits? I guess they boarded that way if lost luggage is their excuse.:(

"So people with lost luggage showed up in traveling clothes.

Formal dress is part of cruising history"

Since when? Princess states there are formal nights on their itineraries.

Just because you want it to be history doesn't make it so.

"The fashion police are free to continue to come to this board and lament on the changes in formal night dress until they get use to the fact that it is part of history. "

We aren't fashion police. We are answering the OP's question truthfully. You aren't. We wouldn't want you to give the wrong information to the OP. :p

It is not that many people do not dress formal, but the "requirement" to dress formal is history. I and many others have commented on how formal night is optional. It is just how it is on the ship.

If you run into a mythical maitre d' who wants to enforce formal atire simply tell them your suit is in the lost luggage.

That is how it really is on the ships. Not nearly as regimented a vacation as those of you in the formal police would wish people would believe.

It is not that many people do not dress formal, but the "requirement" to dress formal is history. I and many others have commented on how formal night is optional. It is just how it is on the ship.

If you run into a mythical maitre d' who wants to enforce formal atire simply tell them your suit is in the lost luggage.

That is how it really is on the ships. Not nearly as regimented a vacation as those of you in the formal police would wish people would believe.

The "requirement" as you put it, is a request by the ship, that you abide by the dress code in the dining room for formal evenings. It is not optional. If you don't accept their policy and appear in the dining room without jacket and tie, then you are being disrespectful to the Captain and those who follow the policy. If the Maitre D decides to ignore your appearance to avoid a confrontation, so be it. If you don't care how you are viewed by fellow diners thats fine.

However, posters who come here for formal info should not be given anything but the dress code info that the ship provides. If they don't want to dress for the occasion, that's their choice, but at least they will be able to decide whether they would want to stand out in a room full of people or not. 99% of those who eat in the dining room on formal nights are dressed for the occasion. That is true info and to tell them otherwise is not right.

Once again, we are not formal police. We tell it like it is, unlike you.

the "requirement" as you put it, is a request by the ship, that you abide by the dress code in the dining room for formal evenings. it is not optional. If you don't accept their policy and appear in the dining room without jacket and tie, then you are being disrespectful to the captain and those who follow the policy. If the maitre d decides to ignore your appearance to avoid a confrontation, so be it. If you don't care how you are viewed by fellow diners thats fine.

However, posters who come here for formal info should not be given anything but the dress code info that the ship provides. If they don't want to dress for the occasion, that's their choice, but at least they will be able to decide whether they would want to stand out in a room full of people or not. 99% of those who eat in the dining room on formal nights are dressed for the occasion. That is true info and to tell them otherwise is not right.

Thank you!

So people with lost luggage showed up in traveling clothes. :eek:

Was the all out attempt to be kicked out really just them thoroughly enjoying themselves in spite of their luggage issues?

Would the fashion police prefer people with lost luggage not be allowed to enter the MDR on formal night? Princess has always tried to help people with lost luggage and I suspect Princess is not going to start ruining people with lost luggage vacations now. Especially since the passengers have gotten more and more informal over the years.

Formal dress is part of cruising history. If you wish to dress on formal night great. But the fashion police can not force casual cruisers or people with lost luggage to walk the plank so to speak.

The fashion police are free to continue to come to this board and lament on the changes in formal night dress until they get use to the fact that it is part of history.

Casual cruisers can simply take advantage of the lost luggage excuse should they ever run into any questions. :cool:

Lost luggage is a pretty lame excuse on the second evening of cruising for the gal in swimsuit and coverup. Yes, Princess does help those with lost luggage including providing stores with reasonable fashions, casual and formal. Lost luggage for all 8 people? First night, OK. Second night - they were trying to make a statement. Even if they had lost luggage, they would have had the opportunity to purchase (likely with Princess' money) some resort casual clothes.

As others have said: Formal Dress is NOT part of cruising history. Just go to the theatre on formal night - on the Emerald Princess a rough count is 98% of the people there are in formal (Tux for men) wear. That really doesn't sound like it is something of the past.

Also, please take a look at the question for this thread by Cool seas. This wasn't a "fashion police" question - it was a legitimate question about what was in the norm for women to wear for formal night. Cool seas stated she wanted to dress formally.

I believe her question was answered in a respectful manner.

The "requirement" as you put it, is a request by the ship, that you abide by the dress code in the dining room for formal evenings. It is not optional. If you don't accept their policy and appear in the dining room without jacket and tie, then you are being disrespectful to the Captain and those who follow the policy. If the Maitre D decides to ignore your appearance to avoid a confrontation, so be it. If you don't care how you are viewed by fellow diners thats fine.

It is optional.

Princess routinely lets men in the MDR on Formal night with just a long sleeve shirt with no questions asked. You will find several men without jackets and tie every formal night.

If you tell them you have lost luggage you can wear almost anything.

If that does not describe optional I do not know what does.

You pay for your cruise....you wear what you think is comfortable and appropriate for you. That said, I would personally never feel "comfortable" wearing jeans, shorts, or swim attire to the dining room for any meal during the day, nor would I consider going to any dining room without shoes. Did I mention I have seen tennis shoes on men with a tuxedo on? I think we could all agree to disagree here on what one considers proper formal attire and seems to be a hot topic.

I know this topic has been mentioned quite a few times on here, but I've looked back through and can't seem to find anything.

We are going on a 14 night cruise so that means 3 formal nights. What will be acceptable to wear for women? Can I wear smart trousers and top, or do I need to wear a dress?

Sorry to open this topic again, but I need to know what to buy!!

Thanks in advance.

I fretted over this the whole time in preparation for the cruise. After reading all the "formal threads" here on the board, some of the posts had me petrified that I wouldn't be dressed appropriately on formal night.

It's very simple. Get dressed up. If you dress like you were going to a nice restaurant or party, you'll look great! We saw a few tuxedos, mostly suits on men. Women were in everything from dress slacks and pretty blouses to skirts and tops, cocktail dresses, to regular dresses, floor length gowns and a few "wowser's!" Someone in another thread mentioned some of the ones that get the most "formally dressed up" are the scariest. We saw one of those...a not so young woman with a very revealing gown on and I think perhaps she forgot that gravity does eventually set in...but you know what? She was having a grand time. So be it!

I will never worry about formal night again. I felt instantly at ease and they were lovely evenings.

Julie

It is optional.

Princess routinely lets men in the MDR on Formal night with just a long sleeve shirt with no questions asked. You will find several men without jackets and tie every formal night.

Can you show me where Princess cruises says formal dress is optional in the dining room on formal nights?

It is optional.

Not sure where you cruised to, but we were in Alaska and while we are more on the laid back side, we did not see anyone without at the very least a jacket and the sign at the dining rooms specifically said formal attire is required.

I made it a point to look around only because of all the hype I read on these boards about formal nights, and of the two formals, did not see one gentleman without a jacket or even in khakis. Maybe the warmer climate cruises are different?

The OP is probably very aware of the so called suggested dress code & wants to know just what is acceptable in the DR. They certainly don't need anyone to post or reiterate to them what's printed. They want the truth and that is exactly what this site provides except for what the clothes police like yourself want to infer.

As far as being disrespectful to the Captain and those who follow the policy that most laughable part of your beliefs. The Captain couldn't care less about how people dress & if you believe it so, that explains your position. As far a dressing to please your fellow cruisers , that's your choice if you care to go to the trouble but again it not required by any means.

Yes it's true that many people stay dressed for the shows (don't know if it's as high as 98%) and certainly don't need to since there's no dress code even hinted at or suggested. Also, the percentage drops dramatically on other evenings as soon as they seen many others changing immediately after dining and it becomes apparent that it really not a necessity but something people sheepishly do out of habit.

If you feel comfortable sitting through a show in a tux or gown, do so but don't think for one minute it's a requirement. You'll see people dressed in everything from jeans to shorts & sandals, even on formal evenings.

I stand by my statements. The OP has a right to hear the truth, not your version of it. I repeat, show me where Princess cruises says that formal dress is optional in the dining rooms on formal evenings.

I am a happily married man to a beautiful, elegant woman who carries herself with grace. Part of the allure of cruising for us is the elegance of it. It is my opportunity to be seen with my better half, when she is at her best and in her finest.

I'm (after 30 years of marriage) still somewhat of a romantic, a gentleman should take pride in himself, especially in his appearance. When you are surrounded by others, who feel the same way, it only adds to the occasion.

Maybe the world could use a little more elegance, and hold to more of the traditions that encourage self discipline and kind consideration of others. It couldn't hurt.

Just FYI, I'm just as comfortable wearing my Ferragamo opera pumps with black tie as I am a pair of vintage Onitsuka Tiger fencing shoes. It's about confidence. Tacky beat-up formerly-white cross-trainers? *shiver*

E, Feeling Supremely Confident Wearing Vintage Sneaks With The Same Tux That President Obama Wore To The Inaugural (for the record, it's the Hart Schaffner Marx Gold Trumpeter - everybody looks presidential in it)

As others have said: Formal Dress is NOT part of cruising history. Just go to the theatre on formal night - on the Emerald Princess a rough count is 98% of the people there are in formal (Tux for men) wear. That really doesn't sound like it is something of the past.

Well, I for one, do dress in a suit for formal night. One of these days I may get around to renting a tux. :) But, in general, the second we're done with dinner, I make a beeline back to my cabin and change back to shorts, hawaiian shirt and flip-flops. I'm not THAT fond of formal dress... :p

Can you show me where Princess cruises says formal dress is optional in the dining room on formal nights?

We both know it does not say that on the web site. If you call 1-800-Princess you can get a different answer as they will tell you you do not need to wear a jacket if you do not want to.

What really matters is how things actually occur on the ship. On the ship they just do not enforce a formal dress code. I regularly wear khakis and a white long sleeve shirt, no jacket and no tie. They never question me they simply show me to a table.

People frequently talk on this board about these mythical maitre d' who will prevent casually dressed cruisers from the MDR on formal night. I do not believe they exist as they never question me let alone try to turn me away. But if people feel they need a back up plan trust me the suit is in the lost luggage works like a charm.

If you have lost luggage Princess will not prohibit you from attending formal night.

So why dress formal and then change for the rest of the evening? Well I do not. I dress neat and casual. I enjoy dinner in the MDR and do not have to go put on shorts like other posters.

I know the fashion police will say horrible things about me, but I am not the only one doing this. I always see several other casual cruisers amongst the suits and the tuxes. Casual cruisers need the truth about how things a truly handled on the ship not fear about not being seated or derogatory comments from the fashion police.

We both know it does not say that on the web site. If you call 1-800-Princess you can get a different answer as they will tell you you do not need to wear a jacket if you do not want to.

What really matters is how things actually occur on the ship. On the ship they just do not enforce a formal dress code. I regularly wear khakis and a white long sleeve shirt, no jacket and no tie. They never question me they simply show me to a table.

People frequently talk on this board about these mythical maitre d' who will prevent casually dressed cruisers from the MDR on formal night. I do not believe they exist as they never question me let alone try to turn me away. But if people feel they need a back up plan trust me the suit is in the lost luggage works like a charm.

If you have lost luggage Princess will not prohibit you from attending formal night.

So why dress formal and then change for the rest of the evening? Well I do not. I dress neat and casual. I enjoy dinner in the MDR and do not have to go put on shorts like other posters.

I know the fashion police will say horrible things about me, but I am not the only one doing this. I always see several other casual cruisers amongst the suits and the tuxes. Casual cruisers need the truth about how things a truly handled on the ship not fear about not being seated or derogatory comments from the fashion police.

Of course you don't have to wear a jacket but it is requested by Princess in the dining room on formal night. They have provided the casual cruiser alternative dining. Once again, you are omitting this important info in your responses.

We are not fashion police. We want the OPs who ask the question to hear the truth. Why don't you?

I stand by my statements. The OP has a right to hear the truth, not your version of it. I repeat, show me where Princess cruises says that formal dress is optional in the dining rooms on formal evenings.

They don't, on formal evenings but on the other hand they don't require a true formal attire either & that's what I was trying to get across to the OP. The ladies can get away with a fancy top & a pair of slacks & the guys can be dressed in as little as a long sleeve shirt, no tie & jacket and still be served. Myself, I wear a short sleeve shirt (no tie) & carry my jacket as insurance but have yet to wear it in the DR. Maybe I'll be losing my luggage in the future so I don't have to pack that jacket. ;)

Bravo.

They don't, on formal evenings /B]

We both know it does not say that on the web site.

I rest my case.:D

Of course you don't have to wear a jacket but it is requested by Princess in the dining room on formal night. They have provided the casual cruiser alternative dining. Once again, you are omitting this important info in your responses.

We are not fashion police. We want the OPs who ask the question to hear the truth. Why don't you?

Exactly, a jacket is not required it is simply requested or suggested by Princess.

I did not comment about the buffet because I do not wish to eat there. I want to dress casually and eat in the MDR on formal night and on Princess I can.

Most cruisers are not even on CC they simply get conflicting requirements from NCL, Carnival, HAL, etc. Many casual cruisers could not recite the dress code suggestions for the various cruise lines. Trust me the Maitre d' does not want to ruin some ones cruise because they thought that since Princess adopted anytime dinning like NCL did they also adopted casual atire.

Most cruisers are interested in a nice casual relaxing vacation not becomming a member of the fashion police.

Why is it that those of us who enjoy formal nights are referred to as "fashion police" and "sheep" for merely stating what formal night is SUPPOSED to be about?

Perhaps I've read too much cruise history by John Maxtone-Graham, but I don't see what's wrong with holding on to at least a bit of tradition when on a cruise. I'm looking foward to 3 formal nights. :)

Archived