question for the board regarding suites on the Navigator

Hopefully you will get more responses. We are booked in 601 next May. From what we have been told, there is a horrendous noise when the anchor goes down around 5:00 a.m. Also, in rough seas, you feel movement in all directions.

If you can put up with the noise, it is a wonderful suite. There is a double balcony (that we could see when we were docked on our last cruise).

Our TA thinks that we're fortunate to have booked "601" -- that remains to be seen!

The anchor won't be going down unless you are in a tender port, and even then it depends on what time of day you get there...so I would go for it! Sounds great to me, and from my recent Navigator experience the "normal" suites are very nice indeed...

Having stayed in this cabin many times I agree with your TA. If I can't get this cabin, I don't book. The cabin is much larger than other standard suites at 500 sq. It has a partially separated bedroom and sitting area. The dividing unit holds the televisions for each "room" and also has extra storage. There are now back-to-back televisions rather than one that rotates, and the only silly limitation is that you cannot watch movies from the on demand system on both at the same time. You can pull drapes on either side of the unit to completely separate the sleeping area. It also has a double balcony, now with two chairs, a small table, and a lounge chair.

As far as the downside, unless you are a light sleeper and late riser the noise really isn't a problem Contrary to what I keep reading, it is not the anchor dropping that causes the grinding sound. You will hear it about an hour before coming into port, every time you come into port, whether you are tendering or docking. It is also loud during storms or rough seas, which is actually more disturbing. I manage to sleep through it, but some might be disturbed. Otherwise it is a stable cabin with very little vibration.

Enjoy your "special" suite.

We are early risers anyway and like the idea of the larger space. Earlier in our travels when service was better we did all the cross country Amtrak routes, and if I can sleep on those, I can manage allmost anything.

So we are booked in cabin 601 for the Auck-SF Dec 2010.

Archived