Mercury in inside passage

Putterdude

Kind of thought it was the CCG but was hoping otherwise. Good bit of investigative work Imagineer, maybe Global could use you and my blood pressure would go down from not having to watch and listen to John Daley.:D

YOURS AND MINE BOTH !!!:eek:

Agree: Imagineer spotted that one good.

BTW: if she left at 23;00hrs, she likely made the Narrows early morning tides....I doubt her next port of call was reachable ....

Cheers

Here is a thread on the incline test on the Veendam...wonder if it is done by the Coast Guard or LLoyds of London....or?

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1010565

Thanks for tracking that down.

Good stuff in that thread.

I suggest you're right: Lloyds of London would be a logical party to request such a test. I kind of tought all along a test like that always follows, very closely, a yard visit where major structural modifications take place. The normal due process of ''recertification of sea worthiness'' , would have to include a solid incline test....and such process would involve a '' Lloyds of London''-type company...

IMO.

Cheers

ahhhh....armchair marine engineering....;the pay sucks but it's fun, isn't it ??:D

It's just a SWAG on my part as to who would require such a test. However I am surprised that it would be done in the middle of a cruise season when schedules are so tight....one may of thought it would have been done just before or after a repositioning cruise when often there is a little slack in schedules...but then again no one consults with me.;)

At precisely 6:50 PDT a lovely ship in the livery of Celebrity passed in front of my barbeque while grilling a most wonderful rack of ribs. So I sighted it in thru my glass of vodka and tonic and dispite the fact that the ice cubes kept getting in my line of vision....I was soon able to discern that it was the Mercury.:D

:) I guess you won't let this go while the ship shows up eh ? Just you wait until those August dates. lol..

We are at Point Roberts for a month. Haven't seen any ships at all lately since the early arrivals in May.

No whales seen by us either but they have been around... all 3 locals pods.

Do you have a time on the Infinity doing its Northbound at all ??

:) I guess you won't let this go while the ship shows up eh ? Just you wait until those August dates. lol..

...thanks Putterdude for keeping the lookout up, but it will be interesting to see what happens in a few weeks, and LeftcoastBC, we may not have to wait until August as the itinerary for July 26 says the Mercury will be going up the outside, that's the date I want to see which way she goes...

cheers,

the Imagineer

I was thinking much the same thing last evening because this really is becoming quite

monotonous. So I am quite happy to stop making these posts and just perhaps post if and when she doesn't show up one Sunday.

Hi,

You're right....has to have its divine moments for sure.....specially evenings on friday, saturday, sunday and wednesdays....:rolleyes:

By the way, if you were watching, Carnival Spirit might have tested your patience earlier this evening: she pushed off at 18;05hr only....Of course, Volendam was out of here at its usual 16;55hr....

Cheers

:cool:

Didn't bother to wait to the see the Spirit tonight .... saw her on the weather shot on Global and figured she would be late. During the summer we of course have see a lot of traffic out in front and the cruise ships are just a bonus. One of our favourite things is to watch the tugs come by with their log tows. If there is a heavy outflow wind down Howe Sound, as the run from Trail Bay to the Fraser is the longest distance they travel in open water .... well sometimes we can have up to 4 of them and there tows here between us and the Trail Islands for days just waiting for the winds to drop. They will often raft their tows and boats, I guess the crews get togther and play cards and sometimes one of the boats will go into the pier at the foot of Wharf St. for pizza or something....I maintain beer but I am assured by a senior SeaSpan skipper that I know that is not the case.

Hi Sweet Pea 2009, saw you waving although you were a good way out in the strait. I am sure that you witnessed the helicopter evactuation of a 5 year old girl that took place some 150 miles north of Port Hardy on Vancouver Island.

http://www.theprovince.com/travel/Helicopter+evacuates+little+girl+family+from+Alaska+bound+cruise+ship/1790779/story.html

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy there, Putterdude! We, too, have been watching the ships on Sunday evenings, over here in Parksville. We are off on the Mercury on August 2 and the map in Celebrity's Alaskan brochure this year clearly shows her sailing outbound past Victoria and up the West Coast of V.I. There seems to have been a mistake in the mapping, as far as we can tell. The ship has sailed past here most Sunday evenings around 8 p.m., with the exception of June 28, when it was due to leave Vancouver at 4:30 instead of 5:00 p.m. according to their brochure. Tonight, we waited until around 9 p.m., and then gave it up. I see by your post that she didn't pass by your area until around 9, so we wouldn't see her for a while later on.

Hopefully, we will be passing by your oberservation point/BBQ pit on August 2, and we will try to site you through the ice cubes in our glasses, and raise a toast!:D Thank you for your most amusing and informative information regarding the shipping lanes in Georgia Strait and beyond!

Atlanteans in Parksville

• 2 weeks later...
however she was by this evening at about 7 pm with black smoke spewing from her funnel.

Hi,

Yep...she's a real '' smoker''....Pretty standard when she reverses out of her berth, does her 2 points and proceeds towards LionsGate Bridge: black smoke is the norm for her, way more than her ''collegues '' over here....

Zuiderdam poured it on pretty dark as well yesterday, just around drill time....

BTW : were you '' on watch '' last night ?? You must have seen all 3 within minutes !! They litterally backed out of their berths together, Serenade being the 1st to head for the strait, then Zuiderdam right behind her ( the degree of separation was, IMO, the absolute minimum permissible under martime traffic protocol....!!! ) , then Sapphire P ~~ 2 minutes behind. If nobody altered course on the way over your area, then, would have looked light the ''fleet on parade''....

Cheers

It's funny I have never noticed the black smoke from her before even when we were on here 2 years ago. She blew a bunch down towards Howe Sound and when she go to us you could see it but it wasn't too bad. We were at neighbours for dinner last night and while all of the ladies got up to see the ships go by and to wave at some neighbours that were on one of them we gents just sat with our Scotch and told the same old lies.:D

At precisely 7:07 the Mercury was abeam White Islet which is at the entrance to Trail Bay in Sechelt. So unless there are any further dates to watch for, dare I say that that Mercury has sailed on the east side of Vancouver Island this season and lay this matter to rest.

Archived