Tips: B2B cruises, QM2

Waswo

I apologize for starting another thread: I want to ask about tips. We will be on a B2B cruise on the QM2. Our cabin will not change; we don't need to leave the ship on the disembark/embark day (nor does our luggage). We do have two different booking numbers.

Should we do the tips in two rounds in case the personnel change? Or should we just tip at the end of cruise number 2?

I really want to do the right thing.

Also: is it better to tip in US $$ or in Canadian $$ or in English pounds? Or even Euros?

Thank you!

There is really no need to apologize!

Once on board you can probably find out whether the crew you wish to tip will disembark before you, and act accordingly. Depending on their nationality and/or destination they may prefer one currency over another, but US dollars are perfectly acceptable.

Have a lovely trip--B2Bs are wonderfully relaxing!

The majority of your tips will be included in the $11 or $13 per day automatic levy from your on board account. This is intended to take care of your waiters, room steward/ess and other behind the scenes staff. Bars and wine waiters are taken care of by their receiving a share of the 15% levy that you will pay on every drink. If you wish to tip in excess of these amounts then I suggest US $ or Euros or Sterling. As NdP says, if someone that you wish to reward for a particular service is leaving midway through your voyage you will need to deal with that early, otherwise it is fine to leave matters until the end. Have fun B2Bs are great.

Thank you so much! That's good to know. I do appreciate it. Do they still give out envelopes for the tips? I have not been on a cruise for almost 5 years and I know that things may have changed considerably.

Thank you again.

I've done several B2B trips and stayed in the same cabin. You can ask your room steward if he is remaining in your area and then if you wish to tip him/her extra it can be done at the end of the trip.

Same for the dining room. If you are remaining at the same table with the same waitstaff, again if you like they can be tipped extra.

The room steward likes it that he won't have to completely turn over that cabin for the next people and I always tell them, don't worry, just do up the cabin when you have time because turn-around day is such a hassle. The ship is wonderful when everybody gets off and it's a good chance for you to explore other cabins. If the cabin is open and they are cleaning them, just pop your head in and ask if you can take a peek. I've been able to see grill cabins, suites, etc. Gives you a chance to weigh your options for the next time.

It's also a good time to do laundry.

Thank you so much! That's good to know. I do appreciate it. Do they still give out envelopes for the tips? I have not been on a cruise for almost 5 years and I know that things may have changed considerably.

Thank you again.

If so, I HIGHLY recommend taking the fast (not the slow) Red Funnel Ferry over to Isle of Wight. There you can easily walk around in Cowes, visit Osborne House and even see Carisbrooke and STILL make it back in time for sail-away. Easier, of course, to do either the Castle or the House, but you CAN do it all. There's even a nice, noisy "chain ferry" on the way to Osborne House. Taxis are easy and there is a good bus service which is kind of fun. You can also walk from the castle down a little trail into the lovely town and THEN catch the bus back to Cowes.

Enjoy your B2B.

Oh, tipping. I forgot. Someone else wrote that you can request the same wait staff, which they appreciate since word travels. You will tend to have the same steward. You can certainly tip extra and I am sure you will KNOW what YOU want to give if you do. You can also fill-in and submit positive comment cards. The staff LOVE these because if they get enough of them, they get a free day off.

B2Bs (and B2Cruise2Bs) are wonderful if for no other reason that you get to know the staff. So, again, ENJOY!

Be very careful about talking about tipping. I was just called crass and vulgar (see latest postings under "sittings") for even suggesting that one tip for services provided.

I agree with tipping. And it helps those crew members who have been hard at work serving me all day!

Be very careful about talking about tipping. I was just called crass and vulgar (see latest postings under "sittings") for even suggesting that one tip for services provided.

I agree with tipping. And it helps those crew members who have been hard at work serving me all day!

You were called vulgar for slipping money into the hand of the Maitre'D. Not tipping at the end of the cruise.

Why not simply set up an auction for the best tables? That might suit your philosophy better.

Not a problem on this thread. Perhaps it is you who should be more careful about the way you phrase things...

I bend to the moral upper hand. It is so nice to be told off so well. Could someone look up the purpose of a TIP, and the history of the word, and let me know how I have transgressed?

You have fallen prey to a particularly odious habit in the NY metropolitan area (and other large U.S. cities, such as Miami, LA, etc.) of bribing to get what you want. It works, no doubt, and in most circumstances the recipient does not object. But that does not make it tasteful or proper.

Why do you care what these strangers think of you, anyways? You surely have been called out on this bribery behaviour before.

Seaflint, thank you for the Isle of Wight idea. We love all things Victorian and have never been there.

The Carisbrooke Castle is wonderful. But I suspect you'll be back and can visit another time.

So, if you love Victoria, plan to get over to Isle of Wight as soon as you can. Spring for the cab (skip the chain ferry and buses, fun as they are) and have them drop you at the House. Then yo ucan spend all day there, walking the house and gardens and LARGE property. There is certainly a lot to see if you enjoy that (as we do). The ferry people will have a schedule and it is a VERY quick cab ride back to the ship.

Enjoy!

we may do a possible TA B2b summer 2010 (thought we would do one this summer but that idea went away) if you want to switch rooms in southampton, do you still have to get your luggage put down with everyone elses and then go retrive it, or can you have it justed moved to your other room for the other crossing?:confused:

Your stewards will look after moving your things - you shouldn't need to re-pack as clothes can be moved on a rail like they do in hotels. They will make it as seamless as possible. We changed mid voyage last year and barely packed a thing.

Next year one of the family is doing a B2B whilst 2 of us are flying out then sailing home - so she will be moving with all of her clothes PLUS most of mine!!! I'm not packing my formal wear and driving it around North America for 2 weeks when she will be driving to Southampton then sailing across. This seamless change of rooms is what makes us realise this is all a possiblity. Relax and let the staff do it for you!

Archived