Denali: Things to Do?

kabbie

We will be staying in Denali for 2 nights prior to our cruise and I am wondering what else besides the National Park there is to do?

We will arriving via the train on Sun, July 12th at 3:45pm (from Talkeetna). Thinking about doing a whitewater raft run from 6:30pm-9:30pm that night. On Mon, July 13th, we have the Tundra Wilderness Tour from 6am-1pm approx. Is there anything else not to miss? We won't be leaving til Tues at noon for Anchorage.

Thanks!

Kabbie

yes i would love an answer to that one too! we are doing both as well. maybe go into town/ glitter gulch and do a wee bit of shopping. perhaps the cabin night dinner theatre?

There is no "into town" at Denali. The strip called "Glitter Gulch" is about 2 blocks long across the highway from the Princess and the HAL lodges. Trust me when I say, there's nothing "glittery" about it!:D There are several tee shirt shops with the usual made in China junk.

If you're looking for something not too expensive, try the Husky Homestead tour. It's a tour of Jeff King's place where you'll learn all about the Iditarod and sled dogs and get to play with the most precious puppies!

Just take the free shuttle from whichever lodge you are staying at (we were at the Princess Denali) to the park visitor's center. The park service offers great 4 to 5 hour tours that go to mile 17. We spotted moose, brown bears, a lynx, snowshoe hares, ptarmigan, and had a talk by an Athabascan man. There is also a demo of dogsleds and the dogs, which is within easy walking distance of the visitor's center. The park visitor's center is about a 1.5-mile walk from the Princess Lodge.

If you can at all swing it, book a landing on a glacier. We did this with "Fly Denali" last year, and it is by far not only the best excursion we've ever done in Alaska (on 5 cruises and a total of 50 cruising days), but the best we've done anywhere in the world!

2551569513_2d7f50413f_m.jpg

More pictures here.

A lower cost (free) alternative to the dog kennel tours are the free tours of the Park Service kennels. I believe they leave the visitor center at 10am and 4pm, and take about 90 minutes. Not as extensive as the tours you pay for, but good if your interest isn't intense or you're on a budget.

If you can at all swing it, book a landing on a glacier. We did this with "Fly Denali" last year, and it is by far not only the best excursion we've ever done in Alaska (on 5 cruises and a total of 50 cruising days), but the best we've done anywhere in the world!

2551569513_2d7f50413f_m.jpg

More pictures here.

Do you remember which of their tours you took? I'm looking to book for August, and any help narrowing it down will be appreciated!

Do you remember which of their tours you took? I'm looking to book for August, and any help narrowing it down will be appreciated!

It was the Mt. McKinley Glacier Landing flight. The plane holds 6 passengers, and they picked us up at the lodge.

Archived