Anytime dining versus assigned

Fawn

A couple of questions about dining. We have cruised often, but never done anytime....we're thinking of trying it this time.

Are the menus the same as the regular restaurant for that night?

Do people dress up on formal night like they would in the regular restaurant?

Is there only one place to go for anytime dining, or are there other options?

Thanks!

From what I understand on most ships the dining room is divided, half is scheduled dining, half is anytime. Yes all dress codes apply and you'd dress as you normally would.

I'll let you know how much we like it next month. I think we'll love it. The flexibility seems ideal for us and I'd actually prefer to have varying staff instead of the same waiter each night although you can request the same one.

We have only been on the 1 cruise, although the next one is booked, and we had anytime dining and loved the flexibility of it. You get to eat when you are hungry, not when someone tells you it is time to eat. The cruise we are booked on doesn't have it and I'm not real keen on that fact but I will deal with it :)

I have only done assigned dining, but my mom has done both. She said that when it's just her and my dad the anytime was better. But since we had so many family members this time the assigned was much easier. Dinner was the only mandatory family event for us so we needed it set in stone.

A couple of questions about dining. We have cruised often, but never done anytime....we're thinking of trying it this time.

Thanks!

We enjoyed the anytime. One portion of the dining room was reserved for anytime diners. The menu was the same. Dress code was the same. The flexibility was great. You can even request the same waiter if you want and you can eat with other people for on your own. If you eat with others, you dont wait until the table is full, you order right away. You get to meet lots of different people.

We just returned from the Elation and LOVED the Anytime dining.

We had a table for 4 the entire cruise and each night requested the same wait staff..the most we waited was 20 minutes and that was after the captains party let out and it got crowded. Otherwise, we didnt feel rushed at all and it was nice having our own table. We've never had an issue in the past with tablemates, but it was nice sitting with just your family and friends. We met enough new friends in the piano bar ;).

We will be back on the Elation again in Aug and will be doing Anytime dining again for sure.

We were on the Sensation 5/3-5/7 and had open dining. Didn't know it until we boarded.. LOVED IT.... We sat at a 4 person table the first night, 6 person the second and just the 2 of us the next two nights. Had different wait staff each night. Wish we had requested same wait staff maybe for 1 additional night, but got to meet other staff that way. We went at all different hours and never waited at all, were seated immediately while the assigned line was wrapped around the atrium. Did I say we loved it, and will request whenever possible...:)

I guess I'm the renegade on this subject. All of the other posters have liked the anytime dining option. I don't like it and that's one of the reasons I've stopped booking cruises on NCL.....they have no assigned dining at all. I have been on many, many cruises and except for NCL, had assigned dining on all of them. I can honestly say that 99% of the time we have had excellent tablemates and have made some lasting friendships with some of them. This past april we were on Valor and had a terrific waiter and his assistant, and also had very nice tablemates. One couple and their son were from Vermont, and another couple were from Israel. I guess I'm old fashioned, but we have had more fun at dinner on most of our cruises, and I want it to remain that way. ;)

We booked anytime dining for our cruise in November.

We have an 8 year old and a 5 year old.

Some nights we will want to eat on the earlier side if the kids are tired, and other nights we don't want to have to rush back from the port and might want to eat on the later side. So, anytime seemed like the best option for us.

We wouldn't mind a bit of a wait in exchange for the flexibility.

We just got back from the Sensation and loved anytime. We have a 5 year old and with Camp Carnival closed at certain times. We would have dinner when it was closed and head back to it when it opened again.

In the dozens of thread on the subject the most important one to me has yet to be mentioned: SANITATION ~~!!~~

With traditional dining ALL the silverware is placed on the table. We've all noticed how the waiter will come around after each course and removed the unused silverware for that course and place in the CLEAN drawer at his station for placement for the next seating.... I have seen on numerous past cruises silver wear being dropped on the floor and then "replaced" on the table, people coughing & sneezing and then fondling their silverware not knowing which to use, and the waiter picking it up off the table and putting it in with "clean" silverware.. I have been aghast at this practice.. Since my first cruise when it happened.

With anytime dining there is only "one" set of silverware when seated, and ALL unused is placed with the dirty dishes, and a clean set is delivered with each course depending on what is ordered. NO second-hand silverware... Also the table cloths were replaced between pax's.

On the recent 16 day T/A we had the same wait team all but a couple of evenings, two being the "Chef's Diner" when our main waiter was assigned to the Chef's table, and we were able to eat in the joining station.. The only wait time was when we showed up a few minuted early and had to wait until the dining room opened.. Toward the end of the cruise the person at the door knew we wanted table 217, and would just tell the person seating us which table we wanted.

Another BIG advantage was the food was always HOT. Since it was only two of us (except a couple of nights we ate with friends-same server, a larger table next to 217). The pax's are scattered around the dining rooms so that each waiter has between a 10 to 15 minute wait between you and his next table, the service was excellent. Jodi and I were offered a "complimentary" drink toward the end of the cruise by our waiter....

The diner tables were close enough to have conversation with those next to you as well as several table in each direction, yet far enough away for some privacy.

On The Ruby Princess the were two MDR for anytime and only one MDR for traditions. Which IMHO shows the gaining popularity of anytime dining ~~!!~~

We've always had assigned dining also. We're leaving in 10 days and are going to try anytime dining. We've usually had good experiences with tablemates before, but there were times when we would have to be back from shore excursions or from activities to get ready. We'll probably still eat at around the same time - but we won't feel so rushed. I've read about people who love it and people who hate it - that's what's so great right now - they are catoring to each group of people. I guess this new experience is one I'll experience and then be able to give my judgement after I've tried it.

Menus are identical.

People dress the same as in the rest of the dining room. Not going to get into the discussion of whether any of it is dressed up or not, but the dress is the same.

Just like with regular dining you are assigned to a dining room. Other than the supper club and Lido, just like with regular dining there are no other options.

Depending on the ship a portion of one or both dining rooms is used for anytime dining.

Thanks!

See answers above

I am planning on going with my family on our first cruise in the NEAR future. I was just wondering, do all cruises have the option of anytime dining?

Here is the schedule put out by Carnival:

Anytime Dining is available now on: Legend, Liberty, Sensation, Paradise, Miracle, Elation, Conquest, Pride

Available soon:

Carnival Fantasy 6/03/09

Carnival Spirit 6/13/09

Carnival Dream 9/18/09

Carnival Ecstasy – mid October 2009

Carnival Glory – mid December 2009

Carnival Fascination – Feb 2010

Imagination, Inspiration, Destiny, Triumph, Valor, Splendor, Freedom & Victory – by summer 2010

Do I understand right that there are 2 dining rooms on the Freedom and only 1 dining room on the Miracle?

The Miracle has Anytime and Set Dining?

The Freedom only has set dining for now. Do they switch you back and forth between the two restaurants??

How are the specialty restaurants on these two ships??

Do I understand right that there are 2 dining rooms on the Freedom and only 1 dining room on the Miracle?

The Miracle has Anytime and Set Dining?

The Freedom only has set dining for now. Do they switch you back and forth between the two restaurants??

How are the specialty restaurants on these two ships??

Correct. All Spirit class ships, including Miracle, only have 1 dining room. Conquest class, like Freedom, have 2.

Yes, Miracle has Anytime and Traditional dining right now. The Anytime is held in part of the upper dining room.

You may not switch back and forth between Anytime and Traditional dining. You much choose one and stick with it.

With Traditional dining, you are assigned a table and time. If the ship has 2 dining rooms, you will be assigned to one of them. You do not switch back and forth between the 2 dining rooms. The table number, dining time and dining room name will be on your S&S card.

Haven't been to the Supper Club because we love the dining room too much. Miracle is a great ship, though!

We had any time dining on the Legend in February '08 and the Liberty in April '09. It was the best. Everything is the same as assigned dining except you have control over when you eat. We have any time scheduled on the Dream for 12/03/09, and 2/20/10. The dining flexibility is part of the reason we booked all these cruises. :cool:

Correct.

With Traditional dining, you are assigned a table and time. If the ship has 2 dining rooms, you will be assigned to one of them. You do not switch back and forth between the 2 dining rooms. The table number, dining time and dining room name will be on your S&S card.

!

Can you request one dining room or the other?? Any advice on which dining room to choose??

Can you request one dining room or the other?? Any advice on which dining room to choose??

Carnival will not allow you to request a table size, so I doubt if you can request a dining room either. If you get assigned to a different dining room than what you hoped for, you can always see the Maitre D' and ask if you can be switched to the other dining room.

I haven't been on Freedom, and the only ship I've been on with 2 dining rooms was Valor. I really couldn't think of any reason that one dining room would be better over the other. They are both pretty much the same.

I have been offered to choose anytime dining for my cruise this September on Carnival Spirit. What I was wondering is this... with anytime dining, have they cut the announcements from the Maitre'd and the dancing and singing from the wait staff at the end of dinner? I imagine many people would be either just arriving, just starting or in the middle of dinner at this time. Would seem odd to have dinner 'interrupted' by something that normally occurs at the end of dinner on Carnival.

I have been offered to choose anytime dining for my cruise this September on Carnival Spirit. What I was wondering is this... with anytime dining, have they cut the announcements from the Maitre'd and the dancing and singing from the wait staff at the end of dinner? I imagine many people would be either just arriving, just starting or in the middle of dinner at this time. Would seem odd to have dinner 'interrupted' by something that normally occurs at the end of dinner on Carnival.

With Anytime Dining, you are still in the same dining room with the people who have Traditional Dining......you are just in a different part of the dining room.

So, the announcements and the singing/dancing waiters are still going to be there.

Archived