Bering Sea Crab Fishermans Tour VS Misty Fjord boat tour

reefexplorer

Which would you choose? I am trying to decide. I know they are different, I was wondering if the Misty Fjord boat tour will be more of the same scenery that we will be seeing from the ship or is it a must not miss type of a tour. The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour seems interesting. I would love to hear input from those who have done either or both tours.

Thanks Linda

Hi Linda,

Seven of us are headed to Alaska in July. My DH, DD5, DS9, and myself opted for the Bering Sea Tour for several reasons: 1) My husband and I are big Deadliest Catch fans, 2) My kids love animals and sea creatures, and 3) My kids and DH aren't big scenery fans and the fjords tour is almost an hour longer. I thought 3.5 hours was enough for them.

However, my Mom, Sister, and BIL are doing the Misty Fjords boat tour that day. They want scenery and a relaxing boat ride.

I have read outstanding reviews of both on these boards for both tours. So I think it comes down to personal preference. Whichever you pick - have a great time!!!:) Michelle

We are just back from the Island Princess southbound and did the Bearing Sea Crab Fishermans tour on Saturday. IMHO, it is not to be missed. If you are a Deadliest Catch fan, it will live up to your expectations and then more as the crew tells their stories of their trips in the Bearing Sea. One of the highlights was the feeding of the Bald Eagles which was totally awesome.

We took the Bering Sea crab fishing tour last year and it was phenominal! We're cruising to Alaska again next year and plan to take the tour again. As the previous person mentioned, the bald eagles were awesome and probably my favorite part of the tour. Even if you aren't a Deadliest Catch fan, you'll find the tour very informative.

We are doing the Tracy Arm cruise in Juneau...which is said to be more beautiful than Misty Fjord and far more wildlife and glaciers which you don't get in Misty, then we're doing the Bering Crab boat in Ketchikan. (it's our 48th wedding ann. that day so this is how we're celebrating it!!) Very different tours, but you can do both (You need a full day in Juneau, as that tour is about 9hrs!:)

I'll add my vote for the Crab Fishermen's tour, also. We did this last year and are thinking of doing it again this year. It's one of the best excursions we've done (and the best of those that don't involve an airplane!) in 5 cruises to Alaska.

This is the closest you'll ever get to wild eagles, by the way:

2511377325_e35abf1b1e_m.jpg

We are just back from b2b in Alaska and did both of these tours. The Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's tour was fantastic. You won't see anything like it anywhere else. It rates up there with our all time favorite tours on any cruise. Misty Fjords was a lovely trip. It was mostly scenery viewing. We did stop to see an eagle's nest and some seals. It fit our mood on the day we did it. If I had to give these tours a star rating:

***** Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's tour

*** Misty Fjords

Here's how I'd rate other tours we took:

**** Yukon & White Pass RR

***** Major Marine tour in Whittier

*** Nature & Wildlife Expedition

**** Days of 98

My wife went on the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour to pacify me. I am a huge Deadliest Catch fan. When she saw how well constructed the boat was and how organized the presentation was, she was very impressed. She loved the information and the charismatic way it was presented. She even touched the crabs caught by the crew.

The Tsimshian Natives were given Annette Island in the Gravina Islands and about 3,000 feet of water surrounding the island. In the Tsimshian waters, U.S. laws against feeding bald eagles from a boat do not apply. Captain Dave formed a joint venture with the natives to use their waters so he can catch certain crabs and fish all year long without U.S. regulation.

The highlight is when the eagles see the bait fish being thrown from the boat....the eagles come close to the boat and stab the water with their talons. It is like watching an eagle airport with the runway around 20 feet from you. It is just spectacular. My wife wants to go back with our daughter just to do this tour. I told her that when the Tour is no longer a secret, the prices will go way up. She says she doesn't care.

I loved seeing my wife in such awe. She needed a great vacation, and the Bering Sea Crew....Captain Dave, Terry and Kiwi....gave us an experience that we will never forget.

My wife took 647 pictures of the eagles.....be sure to set your cameras to fast click so you can get some great pics. My only complaint is that Captain Dave is going to cost me another $5,000.00 by having to send my wife and daughter to Alaska next year!

I agree, the highlight of Bering Sea Crab was before we even caught a single crab. People seem to really like Misty Fjords, too, but besides the price, we cruised through Misty Fjords on the cruise ship twice in the past.

My vote is for the crab fishermen's tour. That tour and cruising Glacier Bay were the two highlights of our cruise last week. My DM has never seen Deadliest Catch, but she applauded my choice in this tour. Like others, feeding the bald eagles was her favorite part.

My wife took 647 pictures of the eagles.....be sure to set your cameras to fast click so you can get some great pics. /quote]

Any chance you could post some of your pictures. Would love to see some of the eagles!:) Thanks!

How was the motion on the boat? I always take bonine when cruising but I'd guess you get lots more bounciness with a crab boat.

No motion at all, you don't leave the protected waters close in to Ketchikan.

We are doing the Bering Sea Crab trip in the afternoon and a flightseeing tour of the Misty Fjords in the morning so hopefully we'll see the best of both BUT we won't have any time to explore Creek St. Guess we'll just have to go back for that!:)

We are in Ketchikan from 7am to 1pm and are really interested in the Bering Sea Crab excursion. HAL indicates it is a 3.5 hour excursion and doesn't depart until 8:30am. Will there still be time after the excursion to stop somewhere to order salmon to have it shipped home?

Thanks,

Soccer Mom

We are in Ketchikan from 7am to 1pm and are really interested in the Bering Sea Crab excursion. HAL indicates it is a 3.5 hour excursion and doesn't depart until 8:30am. Will there still be time after the excursion to stop somewhere to order salmon to have it shipped home?

Thanks,

Soccer Mom

There are a few salmon stores right off the docks. The Bering Sea Tour was very prompt in letting us walk off the boat right at noon. Don't waste anytime and you can walk about 5-7 minutes to buy salmon and actually carry it with you back onto the boat. Beisdes having a couple of stores devoted to salmon products, you can find it in the souvenier shops as well.

You should be able to get back to your ship around 12:25 to 12:30 and wait in line to reboard.

A better option for you would be to get off the boat at 7:15 a.m. and go buy your salmon. You can have it shipped, of course. If carrying it, you can either return to your cabin and drop it off or carry it with you on the Aluetian Ballad. They will let you keep it in the store/coffee room or you can put it under your seat. That way, you won't be rushed.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if the Misty Fjord boat tour will be more of the same scenery that we will be seeing from the ship or is it a must not miss type of a tour.

We took the MF cruise... but in all honesty, other than the New Eddystone Rock and some steep rock canyon walls, it is mostly similar to what you see from the ship. Of course it's more dramatic and impressive since you're on a small boat and the boat can sail places the ship doesn't. However, of the two, if I had to do it again, I would probably choose the mock 'Bering Sea' excursion.

Trying to upload one for you....I am technically challenged!

Wow...had to send it on to my sister, she's going with us, and picked this tour out especially! Then we found out about the eagles. Can't wait. we're also doing the Tracy Arm tour as our ship doesn't enter there!:D

Hi all:

Will give another recent, first hand account of this after next week. We're heading out on the Star this Saturday; as major fans of Deadliest Catch this was our very first choice of all shore excursions.

Beyond this one, our group of 6 is doing several different excursions in each port, so I will post reviews and photos of all shortly after we get back. I am bringing my laptop and hope to have time to keep a running "diary" as we go, so that I can post ASAP. I know how it feels to be pumped up for the trip, eagerly awaiting info from those who have just returned!

Based on Budget Queen's strong recommendation, we have all booked the Tracy Arm excursion in Juneau and are extremely excited about that one (well, in fact, excited about everything on this trip!!)

Hi all:

Will give another recent, first hand account of this after next week. We're heading out on the Star this Saturday; as major fans of Deadliest Catch this was our very first choice of all shore excursions.

Beyond this one, our group of 6 is doing several different excursions in each port, so I will post reviews and photos of all shortly after we get back. I am bringing my laptop and hope to have time to keep a running "diary" as we go, so that I can post ASAP. I know how it feels to be pumped up for the trip, eagerly awaiting info from those who have just returned!

Based on Budget Queen's strong recommendation, we have all booked the Tracy Arm excursion in Juneau and are extremely excited about that one (well, in fact, excited about everything on this trip!!)

Hi again, Mooline. Make sure you bring some warm clothes for the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion. Although we went to Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, since Tracy Arm Fjord was too iced over. It was very warm when we left Juneau, but we needed our gloves, warm hats & warm jackets, especially one we reached Dawes Glacier. It was cold and very windy standing out on deck for 45 minutes waiting & watching for the glacier to calve. I should have worn my lined wind pants as my knees got cold standing outside. Many people did not come equipped for the cold and ended up staying inside, but you miss out on a lot if you're not outside watching & hearing all the sounds.

The Bering Sea - Crab Fisherman's excursion (Deadliest Catch) provides jackets, rain ponchos, & heaters for those who need them.

Be prepared to take lots and lots of pictures on both excursions! Oh, and don't forget sunscreen!:)

202_0217.jpg.e7a1da8c1fdcb01b44c527187504aa51.jpg

Archived