Dog Boarding / Sitting instructions.

ncovert

Well for any and all dog owners/lovers out there, every time we go on a cruise we have to have someone else take care of our golden retriever, Moe. Most of the time we ask family to take on this task, however this time we are actually going with family and will have a dog sitter come to our house and watch our dog along with my mother in-law's dog who is a Dalmatian, Sally.

Because of the very short time period we have had to prepare for our cruise my mother in-law started interviewing prospective candidates for this job. She did find a great, trustworthy lady who will be watching Sally and Moe May 31 to June 7th. I am actually very excited because my wife and have been trying to get my mother in-law to go on a cruise for several years and there has not been a trustworthy candidate for this job.

Yesterday my mother in-law handed me a seven page, front and back, hand written set of instructions for the dog sitter while we will b gone. Certainly we want the dog sitter to be well prepared. To me the list is a little long, but I also understand that Sally means the world to my mother in-law.

So what are people's pre-cruise ritual for instructions left for the dog sitters? Even though I think it is long does not mean it cannot be longer. We have listed:

- Daily Schedule

- Treats for Sally and Moe

- Things for inside the house

- Contact information for both the ship and trusted people in town

- Wishes of service in case of an emergency

Are there things that we might be forgetting. Thanks in adance

(P.S. sorry if this in the wrong place)

I also have a Golden Retriever, and a black lab/irish wolfhound mix.

We are very lucky to have some friends always willing to come watch our boys--they get VERY spoiled while we are away!

I think you pretty much got the basics down, but let me suggest these..

You may want to include a letter permitting the dog-sitter to seek medical attention for the pups. How will payment of the vet be handled, if this is needed?

Will the dog sitter be watching the dogs in YOUR home?

Last Dec, when we were away on a trip, we had a terrible ice storm. The power was out for 14 days. It was terrible, but we had not given the girls instructions on how to use the generator, or what to do with certain appliances (the HOT TUB), in the event of an outtage.

Luckily, hubby's friend came over and gave a generator "lesson".

I realize that these things rarely happen in AZ, but I'm sure you could have similar disasters that you just don't think about happening while you're gone.

Who to call if the hot water heater breaks and spews water all over the floor?

I know again.. once in a lifetime, but better safe than sorry, believe me.. been there, done that!

Enjoy your cruise- we'll be leaving TOMORROW!!!!!!:cool:

We kennel our pets when we're gone...they don't like being left, but they sure are happy to see us when we get back!

We found (after alot of searching) a great kennel, with indoor/outdoor runs, personal playtime, and really nice, dedicated folks!

I'd rather not have them in the house alone, as they become fairly "protective", even with folks they know well. Plus, if something should happen that the sitter can't get there, or they escape....a kennel is a more secure option.

I also have a Golden Retriever, and a black lab/irish wolfhound mix.

We are very lucky to have some friends always willing to come watch our boys--they get VERY spoiled while we are away!

I think you pretty much got the basics down, but let me suggest these..

You may want to include a letter permitting the dog-sitter to seek medical attention for the pups. How will payment of the vet be handled, if this is needed?

Will the dog sitter be watching the dogs in YOUR home?

Last Dec, when we were away on a trip, we had a terrible ice storm. The power was out for 14 days. It was terrible, but we had not given the girls instructions on how to use the generator, or what to do with certain appliances (the HOT TUB), in the event of an outtage.

Luckily, hubby's friend came over and gave a generator "lesson".

I realize that these things rarely happen in AZ, but I'm sure you could have similar disasters that you just don't think about happening while you're gone.

Who to call if the hot water heater breaks and spews water all over the floor?

I know again.. once in a lifetime, but better safe than sorry, believe me.. been there, done that!

Enjoy your cruise- we'll be leaving TOMORROW!!!!!!:cool:

Yeah, they will be watched at my mother in-law's house. That is a great thought about the vet. I will give her a call this afternoon. Also good thinking about the phone numbers. It is amazing how many things could go wrong. I am sure things will be ok. Thanks for the advice. Enjoy yours too.

We kennel our pets when we're gone...they don't like being left, but they sure are happy to see us when we get back!

We found (after alot of searching) a great kennel, with indoor/outdoor runs, personal playtime, and really nice, dedicated folks!

I'd rather not have them in the house alone, as they become fairly "protective", even with folks they know well. Plus, if something should happen that the sitter can't get there, or they escape....a kennel is a more secure option.

I like the idea of the kennel. My mother in-law wants her Sally at home in her bed however. I think the kennel would give top notch service and would almost without a doubt keep thing secure. Sally, as her owner says, cannot be put in a kennel because she has never been. I however disagree, but since we want my mother in-law we have gone with the next best thing. Thank you for the advice.

If your intrested in a kennel option you can always go to your local place of choice and ask to have your dog boarded over night just for the night to see how they take to being in a kennel with other dogs and different smells. I would suggest this to your mother in law she might like the idea of Sally getting some play mates for the week instead of being all alone in a house most of the day. Dogs crave activities to keep from getting too bored. We have two yorkie and they cant stand to be apart from each other (they are mother and son) our local kennel took them in over night ( no charge) and even let them stay together in the small kennel space, this was our test for our cruise next year. Just make sure if you do this to bring along a shirt that you recently wore so they feel more comfortable and they will be fine. Expecially if they can be together and are friends anyhow. Just an idea. I know we are super protective of our "kids" but I cant stand them being home what if something happens like a fire, or even someone breaking in while we are on vacation and the house is obviously empty. I would hate to think of them getting taken since they are purebred or heaven forbid them getting hurt in a situation they cant get out of. You can even maybe arrange for someone to visit them at the kennel during the week then you can call them from the ship (can be expensive) and see how they are doing! This works for at home as well :)

Sorry didnt mean to make you paranoid I am sure if they do stay at home they will be content some dogs love to just lay around and sleep all day :D I am sure no matter what you choose it will be the best.

If your intrested in a kennel option you can always go to your local place of choice and ask to have your dog boarded over night just for the night to see how they take to being in a kennel with other dogs and different smells. I would suggest this to your mother in law she might like the idea of Sally getting some play mates for the week instead of being all alone in a house most of the day. Dogs crave activities to keep from getting too bored. We have two yorkie and they cant stand to be apart from each other (they are mother and son) our local kennel took them in over night ( no charge) and even let them stay together in the small kennel space, this was our test for our cruise next year. Just make sure if you do this to bring along a shirt that you recently wore so they feel more comfortable and they will be fine. Expecially if they can be together and are friends anyhow. Just an idea. I know we are super protective of our "kids" but I cant stand them being home what if something happens like a fire, or even someone breaking in while we are on vacation and the house is obviously empty. I would hate to think of them getting taken since they are purebred or heaven forbid them getting hurt in a situation they cant get out of. You can even maybe arrange for someone to visit them at the kennel during the week then you can call them from the ship (can be expensive) and see how they are doing! This works for at home as well :)

Sorry didnt mean to make you paranoid I am sure if they do stay at home they will be content some dogs love to just lay around and sleep all day :D I am sure no matter what you choose it will be the best.

No need to apologize. Thanks for your advice and help

We are very fortunate to have a pet/house sitter for our 2 Westie Girls. One is a diabetic, who needs an injection 2 times a day, which brings another set of things to worry about. The suggestion about letting your vet know is a very good one - ours knows when we are gone, what measures we want taken and that we will pay the bill when we return.

Our sitter knows about how to shut the water, etc off and how to work everything. I always leave lots of numbers and notes. She still has problems working our TV set up though :D

Our girls seem to like being in their own home and beds. Our DS and DIL board their 3 dogs and are happy with that.

It's hard to leave them, we miss them when we are gone and always bring pictures with us.

• 3 weeks later...

When we went away for a week in May, my brother stayed with our two girls (one golden retriever and one chocolate lab). They are both 11-1/2 and I hated the thought of kenneling them if I didn't have to. I left a letter with my vet, to be included in the file that my brother had authority to seek treatment for them if necessary and that I authorized whatever treatment my vets considered to be in the dogs' best interests. I trust the two vets in the office (uncle and nephew) and if I didn't I'd find another vet!

DH and I have decided that "next dogs" will start being kenneled a few times per year from the first. We'll just have to go away for a weekend now and then, and leave them there so we aren't faced with kenneling senior pups. The kennel nearest our home is reasonable, clean as can be, and takes excellent care.

Archived