Sistine for Philistines?

I know this may sound like we are band-wagon people only but: Is it possible to go to the Vatican Museum and just "skip ahead" to the Sistine Chapel? I have been there before and done the entire tour; the other 3 people in our party have not but have said they don't want to spend half of our 1 day in Rome doing the Vatican. I really want my DH (who is an "art person") to see the Sistine Chapel - and I think the other 2 would actually enjoy if I could get them there! When I went before we had a small private guided tour. So, my question is: If we went w/o a guide (with a timed reservation), how long would it take to just bolt to the Sistine Chapel? I'm assuming no "legitimate" guide would let us get away with that? I don't even mind if we skip St. Peter's as the one thing I really wanted to see there, the Pieta, was soooooo far away it wasn't worth the wait. Has anyone tried this approach? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Sure, quite a few people head straight for the Chapel. It's about a 10 (15?) minute walk.

If you give a guide the money, I am sure he/she will be happy to have a cafe instead of herding you around. :)

Although the path through the Vatican changes occasionally, they usually have signs pointing the most direct way (direct being relative, after all, this is the Vatican we are talking about) to the Sistine chapel.

Of course, I'm having a little trouble envisioning an "art person" who wouldn't want to spend time in the rest of the Vatican museum, but to each his or her own....

I'm not big into religious art either....or Baroque (perish the thought!). I spend my time in the Vatican museum in the wonderful galleries of Greek and Roman sculpture, Egyptian artifacts, and Etruscan collections...:D

We did it in 2 hours not counting the wait to get in . We followed Frommer's Rome Day-by-Day hitting the highlights which was sufficient for us. After 2 weeks in Italy, there are only so many Madonnas and bambinos that we could handle.

One of the big problems with the Vatican Museum is that there is a remarkable number of copies (many of the "Greek" sculptures are Roman copies) and a huge number of mediocre works. There are also some masterpieces but they tend to be swallowed up amidst the dross... not to mention the Baroque "let no space go ungilded" decor.

Thanks for the input. [On my first visit, I had 2 1/2 days there and so was more than willing to do the whole thing....but less than a 12 hr. day is just making me antsy!] Just wanted to have some options available and to be able to say "we can do this!".

Archived