Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, means of transportaion?

starfish54

Last year we booked with Expedia for NCL cruise and paid $40/person for transfers from Ft. Lauderdale to the port. It was an OK ride, and overall wait time was not too long (about 1 hour). This was both from and to airport.

This year we are thinking about flying to Ft. Laudardale again for our cruise in November, but debate if we should instead just fly to Miami instead. Even with Miami, we still would have to pay for transportation from Miami airport to cruise port.

I would appreciate if anyone can shed some light and assist in finding transportation from both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airport to pier. We will not be flying back from Miami or Ft L, so it will not have to be round trip.

Last year we booked with Expedia for NCL cruise and paid $40/person for transfers from Ft. Lauderdale to the port. It was an OK ride, and overall wait time was not too long (about 1 hour). This was both from and to airport.

This year we are thinking about flying to Ft. Laudardale again for our cruise in November, but debate if we should instead just fly to Miami instead. Even with Miami, we still would have to pay for transportation from Miami airport to cruise port.

I would appreciate if anyone can shed some light and assist in finding transportation from both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airport to pier. We will not be flying back from Miami or Ft L, so it will not have to be round trip.

Contact MiamiBeach411.Com. They are a good consolidator. $40/person is too much for transfer from FLL to Port.

That's better but still per person? That should be the total taxi cost back and forth for up to 4 people.
FLL to the Port of Miami is 20 miles. Cab fare one way would be $60-70.

We've used SAS before and will use them again when sailing from Miami. Air fares for us are frequently less expensive than flying in to MIA.

Do note that SAS is a shuttle service and not a limo or cab. They will have others riding so you may be picked up and make a stop or 2 before heading for the port. On the return they may drop passengers off at hotels and the airport on the same trip.

Charlie

FLL to the Port of Miami is 20 miles. Cab fare one way would be $60-70.

We've used SAS before and will use them again when sailing from Miami. Air fares for us are frequently less expensive than flying in to MIA.

Do note that SAS is a shuttle service and not a limo or cab. They will have others riding so you may be picked up and make a stop or 2 before heading for the port. On the return they may drop passengers off at hotels and the airport on the same trip.

Charlie

Ah sorry I was thinking Fort Lauderdale Airport to Seaport. Knew I was missing something.

We just got back Saturday and used SAS Transportation. We had very good service. $15 per person. I would recommend them.

Our plan is to fly to get a cheap airfare from Ft. Lauderdale airport to Washington DC on the day we disembark our cruise on September 19th. The itinerary says the ship arrives back (at Miami port) at 8 a.m. and our proposed flight leaves at 11:20 a.m.

Any opinions if this is cutting it too fine to get to Ft. Lauderdale airport in time for our flight if we used SAS transportation - how long does the shuttle trip take?

Thanks

Our plan is to fly to get a cheap airfare from Ft. Lauderdale airport to Washington DC on the day we disembark our cruise on September 19th. The itinerary says the ship arrives back (at Miami port) at 8 a.m. and our proposed flight leaves at 11:20 a.m.

Any opinions if this is cutting it too fine to get to Ft. Lauderdale airport in time for our flight if we used SAS transportation - how long does the shuttle trip take?

Thanks

I would be leery of using any shuttle service from Miami to FLL in that time frame. SAS and any other shuttle service keeps their prices low by carrying multiple passengers. The vans we rode in carried up to 11 passengers. There were 6 of us when we rode from MIA to the ship and 9 coming back. From the time we made it to the sidewalk to our hotel on the return (we stay over whenever we can) was maybe an hour.

It would be possible but IMHO the best bet to make the 1120 flight would be a cab or limo, both of which will be a more expensive.

Charlie

Thanks

We are just back. We weren't cleared to disembark until after 8:30 a.m. We did self-assist, which got us off the ship by 8:50 or so. We were picked up very quickly by the van, but then hung around the port area for almost an hour while we waited for other passengers. We also stopped at a hotel to drop off a couple on our way to FLL. We never would have made a 11:20 flight.

We just got back Saturday and used SAS Transportation. We had very good service. $15 per person. I would recommend them.

Just wanted to amend my own post. While we had good service with SAS, a friend that I recommended them to did not. When she called Steve from the port he said he did not have a driver for them. I would be afraid to recommend them to anyone again.

Just wanted to amend my own post. While we had good service with SAS, a friend that I recommended them to did not. When she called Steve from the port he said he did not have a driver for them. I would be afraid to recommend them to anyone again.

Did your friend have a booked reservation with Steve?

Dianne

Dianne, Yes. Their flight was at 4:30 out of Ft. Lauderdale. He was going to pick them up and take them to a hotel for the day and then later provide transportation to the airport. When they called Steve from the port like he asked, he said a wedding came up and he did not have a driver. I felt bad because I had recommended SAS.

• 2 years later...

It seems like SAS has been recommended multiple times, both here and on few other sites.

I tried to call SAS today to make sure they would have availability, it was right around 5pm and the recorded message simply said "we are closed, please use our website to make a reservation". Is this normal for this type of service to close promptly at 5pm?

As much as I would like to pay $40 less ($100 with NCL vs $60 with SAS for the round trip of 2 passengers) I would probably feel somewhat more comfortable with NCL's chatty senior staff who greet you at the airport, hang around and tell their life stories, and finally line us all up (around 40 minutes later) and then walk out to the shuttle waiting area, and then hang around for another 20-30 minutes until the shuttle bus finally shows up. :)

If we were like a party of 5 or 6-7, it would make a huge difference, then SAS might be worth it.

With all the people on this forums, I am surprised we don't utilize the roll-call section to arrange a group fare with a direct airport to seaport shuttle.

SAS is a favorite on these boards for transportation between the FLL area and POM, but there are other good FLL based shuttle services to consider. Check out QLS (www.qualitylimoservice.com ) and Go Airport Shuttle (http://goairportshuttle.com/) to see if they can meet your needs.

Good luck! :)

If you're heading to a hotel overnight and don't need to go straight to the port, Miami's public transportation is extensive.

From FLL to Miami:

Grab the yellow FL-1 Tri-Rail shuttle out of the airport to the Tri-Rail station (free)

Buy tri-rail ticket to Miami ($3.75)

Look at Tri-Rail map to determine transfer point. There is a Tri-Rail /Miami metro transfer station. You can go from there to MIA or downtown via Miami metrorail. (Pick up MDT day pass easy ticket from Tri-Rail ticket booth. (free with tri-rail ticket)

If it suits your destination, take metro to Government Center station and transfer to the Metromover lines. (free) We are staying at the Hyatt which is connected to the Knight Center Station downtown by the river.

So bottom line: $3.75 for transportation from FLL to downtown MIA. Taxi from Hyatt to the port: $7. :-P

If you're heading to a hotel overnight and don't need to go straight to the port, Miami's public transportation is extensive.

From FLL to Miami:

Grab the yellow FL-1 Tri-Rail shuttle out of the airport to the Tri-Rail station (free)

Buy tri-rail ticket to Miami ($3.75)

Look at Tri-Rail map to determine transfer point. There is a Tri-Rail /Miami metro transfer station. You can go from there to MIA or downtown via Miami metrorail. (Pick up MDT day pass easy ticket from Tri-Rail ticket booth. (free with tri-rail ticket)

If it suits your destination, take metro to Government Center station and transfer to the Metromover lines. (free) We are staying at the Hyatt which is connected to the Knight Center Station downtown by the river.

So bottom line: $3.75 for transportation from FLL to downtown MIA. Taxi from Hyatt to the port: $7. :-P

So a shuttle and 3 trains (if I counted correctly) saved you a whopping $8-10 per person. :confused: Sorry - my time and sanity are more valuable - but this may be an option for some. :o

I have no problem using SAS. Are some of the posters giving the whole story? Did they, in fact, reserve and have conformation of the dates in question? Steve has 14 operating vans and is usually very accomidating given the time to do so. If you try and book last minute.....whose fault is that?

We have no problem using SAS again. Just sayin.........

Archived