Cruising and Photography

newbieMom

Hi all :) I've noticed a few threads here dealing with photography, mainly what type of camera you shoot with, what type to bring, waterproof equipment and so on, and it got me thinking there are bunch of amateur photogs around here :) I'm part of a forum that is all about photography, but it's mainly for women, and I had so many of my questions answered there, in fact, it's what's taken me from a total beginner to actually using my camera for some gorgeous shots in Key West (I was too nervous to take the DSLR off the ship in GC and Jamaica) Anyhow, It's called ClickinMoms...so if your a woman interested in photography, it's worth checking out:)

http://clickinmoms.com/amember/go.php?r=785&i=l0

It would be so great to have a photography themed cruise. Do the cruise lines set up themed cruises, or just groups of individuals? I would love to know how to coordinate something like this. I've heard of scrapbooking cruises, so I figure it wouldn't be too much of a long shot to have a photography one, since cruisers take bazillions of pictures! One more thing, I made a photo montage of our recent cruise on Freedom, but it's too long for YouTube. I'd love to be able to share it here, but I don't know where I can host the video? Any ideas?

... It would be so great to have a photography themed cruise. Do the cruise lines set up themed cruises, or just groups of individuals? I would love to know how to coordinate something like this. I've heard of scrapbooking cruises, so I figure it wouldn't be too much of a long shot to have a photography one...

There's a whole theme cruise discussion area elsewhere on CC. But to answer briefly, there are two types of groups that book: The ones that rent the entire ship (ie "Charter" Cruise), and the ones that don't.

An example of a charter cruise where the whole ship is booked by the company putting together the event are the famous Jazz Cruises. These tend to be more expensive than a regular Carnival cruise, since alot of the money is going towards professional entertainment and/or organized activities. The organizers are getting paid.

The other kind are like the CC Member Cruises. They are organized by whoever wants to do the work. Many are volunteer efforts, or put together by travel agencies. Also, on the cruise you'll be mixed right in with every other passenger on the ship at the time. It's hard to call these groups "theme cruises" when 90% of the ship aren't part of the group. But Carnival will allow you to book a lounge to put together a few Sea Day activities for the group.

However, in neither of those two cases is the "theme" orchestrated or promoted by the cruise line. So your best hope is honestly to put on your volunteer organizer hat and get to work. Or search the web for someone else that had the same idea.

Archived