first timer

I am a first timer to cruising, and I have booked to go on the Jewels of the sea to Scandanavia and Russia in August.

My husband is unable to travel so I will be travelling with my 12 year old daughter, I hope it is suitable for us, has anybody else travelled as a single parent?:)

Yes I have traveled as a single parent. My first crusie was with my son who was 14 at the time. We both had a wonderful trip. My first trip to Europe was also with my son who was 12 at the time again, we both had a wonderful time. Remember you cant see it all so do a few things well rather than many poorly. If you are going to St Petersburg, do not miss the Hermitage!

I have also traveled alone with my daughter, 17 at the time. Of course, it was a special trip to celebrate her graduation from high school and the fact that she would be going off to college that fall. A last mother/daughter bonding time before she was off on her own.

You will have a wonderful time, don't worry about it at all. Enjoy your time together!

Go to the roll call for this cruise and meet others who will be on the cruise with you. Your daughter might be able to make friends with some others of her age but if not you will meet some great people and probably be able to share excursions. I did this cruise in 2006 and it is wonderful

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The Jewel of the Seas is a beautiful ship. You will love her.

I have traveled WITH people as well as alone on my cruises.

You and your daughter should have a fine time even without your husband's presence, and will undoubtedly meet many new people along the way.

A cruise ship is like a big family in many ways so if you are open to sharing your experiences with others and hearing what they have to say, I'd recommend getting a medium to large table in dining rooms and not just spending the time together, 24/7. This is also a good opportunity, as someone else said, for some mother-daughter bonding.

This kind of a trip for a 12 year old is perfect -- she will learn so much, more than she can ever get from school books.

Go -- and have a fabulous time -- you could not have picked better destinations. Just be sure to have some cold AND warm weather clothes -- you never know what weather will be like in that region.

I am a first timer to cruising, and I have booked to go on the Jewels of the sea to Scandanavia and Russia in August.

My husband is unable to travel so I will be travelling with my 12 year old daughter, I hope it is suitable for us, has anybody else travelled as a single parent?:)

Go to the roll call for this cruise and meet others who will be on the cruise with you. Your daughter might be able to make friends with some others of her age but if not you will meet some great people and probably be able to share excursions. I did this cruise in 2006 and it is wonderful

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The Jewel of the Seas is a beautiful ship. You will love her.

thanks for the reply,I am really excited about going, especially to Russia.

Did you go on the ship excursions ,and if so,which are the best ones and were they worth the cost?

I have traveled WITH people as well as alone on my cruises.

You and your daughter should have a fine time even without your husband's presence, and will undoubtedly meet many new people along the way.

A cruise ship is like a big family in many ways so if you are open to sharing your experiences with others and hearing what they have to say, I'd recommend getting a medium to large table in dining rooms and not just spending the time together, 24/7. This is also a good opportunity, as someone else said, for some mother-daughter bonding.

This kind of a trip for a 12 year old is perfect -- she will learn so much, more than she can ever get from school books.

Go -- and have a fabulous time -- you could not have picked better destinations. Just be sure to have some cold AND warm weather clothes -- you never know what weather will be like in that region.

You are right, it is a wonderful oppurtunity for both of us to experience some fantastic destinations and also to meet other people who you would not normally get a chance to meet.

It is such a different type of holiday, rather than sitting by a pool for a fortnight,

and as I work full time the shared time with my daughter makes it all the more special

Archived