Celebrity vs. RC for kids

cyndiehabs

We would love to take a Celebrity cruise but our kids (14, 11) have only sailed Disney and Royal Caribbean - just wondering if there is alot for the kids to do and are there many other children aboard? Thinking of a Greek Isles itinerary.

While people do like the Celebrity kids program and it is a good one, the RCI Adventure Ocean programs, and the ships themselves do tend to be more kid and family friendly. The newer RCI ships have a lot more to do such as the rock climbing wall, surf rider, ice rink, in line skating and a full sports court. You don't find that on Celebrity ships.

As for kids, a lot depends on time of year and itinerary. My cousins recently did a Greek Island cruise and there weren't the number of kids on board that they expected, and this was on RCI. I think the Greek Islands tend to attract less families than other itineraries. You also have to remember that the M class ships of Celebrity are a lot smaller than most of the RCI ships.

Most times you will find that RCCL ships have a lot more kid oriented activities, e.g. rock climbing, ice skating, kid sitting, etc. But do check the specific ships for what's available on both lines.

I've been on 1 cruise each on with my kids - and while there were more "kids" activities (the rock climbing wall and the mini golf) on RCI, they liked the kids program better on Celebrity. The RCI cruise had too many kids (it was a Feb. vacation week - 25% of the passengers were under 18), so many activities had to be changed to handle the volume. And it was harder for my teen to meet kids - most seemed to be with a group.

That said, I agree a lot has to do with the itinerary. I would take my kids on either ship again - it would depend on the ports, timing, etc. I just think the Celebrity kids program doesn't get the credit it deserves on this board sometimes.

Archived