Free Parking for Disabled People

merrymaker

I was wondering if any one could tell me what cruise terminals offered free parking for disabled people. I have seen some listed on here before but I am unable to locate them now. We are looking at a cruise out of New York for June.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if any one could tell me what cruise terminals offered free parking for disabled people. I have seen some listed on here before but I am unable to locate them now. We are looking at a cruise out of New York for June.

There is no free parking in NYC for diabled people, cost is the same.. but there are handicapped parking spaces.

http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html

Here in Texas several years back they accidently passed a law that Public Parking could never be higher than the cheapest rate for anyone. (I.E. If someone like an elected offical got FREE PARKING, then Handicapped got the same). Well what happened was, people found out about this & started parking a lot out at DFW AIRPORT where parking is like $20.00 per day. So as usual the GREEDY Govt officials & lobbyist got togetehr & closed this loophole. About the only thing I do know is METER PARKING here in Texas is still FREE. But you do have to follow the Time Limits & such or you can be ticketed for that.

Here in Texas several years back they accidently passed a law that Hadicapped Public Parking could never be higher than the cheapest rate for anyone. (I.E. If someone like an elected offical got FREE PARKING, then Handicapped got the same). Well what happened was, people found out about this & started parking a lot out at DFW AIRPORT where parking is like $20.00 per day. So as usual the GREEDY Govt officials & lobbyist got togetehr & closed this loophole. About the only thing I do know is METER PARKING here in Texas is still FREE. But you do have to follow the Time Limits & such or you can be ticketed for that.

disabled people get free parking???:confused:
in California you can park at at a spot with a parking meter free, But in parking garages you must pay the same rate as everyone else.

I think I read at Port Canaveral parking was free for disabled pax. There was at least one port I went out of that gave free parking.

Some ports give free parking for disabled vets too. So, the flaming isnt necessary, there are some ports that discount or give free parking.

The only free parking I am aware of is Port of Galveston. They offer free parking to Disabled Veteran's with proof, i.e. VA Card. We parked there for free last time and intend to do it again in November. It is a great benefit for disabled vets.

Again, other than being a disabled vet, I don't know of any!!!!!

I think I read at Port Canaveral parking was free for disabled pax. There was at least one port I went out of that gave free parking.

Some ports give free parking for disabled vets too. So, the flaming isnt necessary, there are some ports that discount or give free parking.

No free parking at Port Canaveral for the disabled. Charleston, SC has free parking.

At the risk of being politically incorrect and upsetting a lot of posters, if a disabled person can afford to cruise, shouldn't they also be able to afford to park? I can understand free parking meters in town -- many disabled people are on fixed incomes and this comes as a real help, but if you can plunk down $2000 for a cruise, surely you can swing $70 for parking?

(really scared about the responses I'm gonna get on this one, but I just couldn't help myself!)

At the risk of being politically incorrect and upsetting a lot of posters, if a disabled person can afford to cruise, shouldn't they also be able to afford to park? I can understand free parking meters in town -- many disabled people are on fixed incomes and this comes as a real help, but if you can plunk down $2000 for a cruise, surely you can swing $70 for parking?

(really scared about the responses I'm gonna get on this one, but I just couldn't help myself!)

No flames here!

Howdy almost-neighbor. ;)

I'm curious about this.. in privately owned parking areas they give free parking to the disabled? I am surprised. Is it a law that they must? I understand about close access but I didn't realize there was an income benefit? Especially for other than veteran's. I have a bad heart (don't drive so I don't need handicapped parking) but it has nothing to do with what I can afford to pay. Just with how hard it COULD be for me to get around.

Here is what the FL Division of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has to say:

What are the guidelines for charging a person to park whose vehicle displays a disabled parking permit under the new law?

The law allows municipalities to remove free parking in the following settings: government lots that are used for entertainment, such as convention centers, cruise port terminals, sports stadiums, sports arenas, coliseums and auditoriums along with airports and city or municipal garages.

When free parking is removed as described above, the law requires the free parking be maintained only for those vehicles with ramps, lifts, hand controls or State of Florida toll exemption permits.

Port Canaveral - Parking for the Disabled

Special parking spaces are provided. The parking fee is waived for vehicles that:

1. Have special equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls; or

2. Display the Florida Toll Exemption permit. (Call 800-983-2435 ext. 2 to apply for an exemption form.)

Visit the web site for each port you're interested in.

ken

Port Canaveral - Parking for the Disabled

Special parking spaces are provided. The parking fee is waived for vehicles that:

1. Have special equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls; or

2. Display the Florida Toll Exemption permit. (Call 800-983-2435 ext. 2 to apply for an exemption form.)

Visit the web site for each port you're interested in.

ken

I thought I had read that they got free parking in this port, thanks for clarifying the conditions. Its been over a year since I was there and read it on the port canaveral thread, but I knew I had seen it.

I am a retired Certified Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. My previous jobs involved assisting those with disabilities in preparing for, obtaining, and suceeding in gainful employment.

While I have always been a strong advocate for equal access and opportunities for people with disabilities, I am equally opposed to such measures as free parking or other feel good kind of perks which perpetuate the myth that all such people are poor dependent pitiful individuals.

I have had blind clients who became computer programmers, teachers, and business owners. I have had deaf clients who graduated from college and became successful professionals. And so on.

Disabilites are equal opportunity-there are many millionaires in wheel chairs or who are deaf or who are blind.

No matter how well intentioned, freebies based soley on the fact that someone may have a disability are insults to their dignity.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Archived