Differences between RCI & Carnival

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but I think we spoiled ourselves on our first cruise and took the Freedom of the Seas with RCI to the Western caribbean. Now we are looking at booking a Southern itinerary. I'd like to include both Dominica and Barbados into it. Several posters have told me of the Carnival Victory, which goes to both...but will I be disappointed in that ship/cruise line? I've always thought of carival as a cheap, party-like, kids-filled cruise line, which is NOT what we're looking for.

It would just be myself and my husband, both in our low 30's. We enjoyed the space on the Freedom, the pool decks, Royal Promenade, theater, and specialty restaurants. I know every ship has these things, but what is the "feel" like of a Carnival ship compared to a Royal Caribbean one?

Thanks!

The differences are miniscule.

The "party-till-you-puke" reputation that some still feel the need to put out there about Carnival is rediculous.

About the only thing I can come up with is that for the most part, decor on RCCL is more "refined" whereas carnival is more "out there".

Love both, but for some to insist that RCCL is so superior as to be worth (in a lot of cases) hundreds more per person for similar itineraries and ships is just beyond me!

I know every ship has these things, but what is the "feel" like of a Carnival ship compared to a Royal Caribbean one?

Thanks!

While I cannot comment on RCI, I would offer this....take the Carnival cruise and enjoy it. There may be subtle differences...your cabin will likely be a little larger and the food may be a little better. Or not.

Each cruise line has something in which it excels, and likely has a weak point or two. These are huge things for some pax, others could care less.

Be assured that you will eat well, be treated well, be entertained, see new places and meet new people and will return home refreshed and eager to go again....and again....and again.....;)

We've done the Victory and loved it , and the Destiny out of San Juan waa the same itinerary. Just remember that a lot of the guests speak spanish becuase they board and live in San Juan. We had an awesome cruise and we are considereding the Victory for our 12/10 cruise if we don't take the Dream on a western.

These 2 lines are more the same, than different. Also, the cruise where I've experienced the most whootin' hollerin' drunks, was on RCL, not Carnival. So far, all the cruises have been kid filled, on all 3 lines that we've been on.

I have done both lines with my husband and we are also in our 30s.

I do not see Carnival as the "Party Ship" people talk about...nor do I see it as a "Walmart" cruise (I have seen that on a couple threads).

The 2 main differences are the Promenade and Solarium.

Carnival has the same type bars and has some food (not as much as the PC on Royal's ships) up in their "windjammer cafe"...just not laid out on a Promenade.

I am not sure if the Victory has a solarium.

Of course, no rockclimbing wall or ice rink either.

We love the Promenade - been on Mariner, Independence and going on Freedom in January. If Carnival comes out with an itinerary we like we would definately take it. Actually, they have the same itinerary as our Freedom cruise next year - around the same time too. If we were not traveling with another couple we would probably do Carnival.

Just my opinions -

• Windjammer buffet on RCI is a big step up from Carnival's Buffet
  • Carnival's Dinners in Main Dining room are better
  • Carnival has better pizza
  • Carnival is more congested, especially pool area
  • Carnival has bigger balcony cabins
  • Royal Caribbean has more to do on its ships
  • Royal Caribbean's ships are nicer and more upscale
  • But Carnival has the outdoor movie screens
  • Carnival has "in your face" cruise directors who are constantly on loudspeakers or on the big screen movie theaters.
  • Demographic is slightly different due to higher prices on RCI

I looked at the Carnival Victory. It's an older Carnival ship without all of the whistles and bells. It simply is not in the case of the RCI FOS.

Archived