Cruising to Healthy

brooklynfc

I'm just gonna say it.............I kinda got dumped this weekend too. Grant it we had only been on two dates and talked for about a week on the phone, but I REALLY liked him. Like, the first guy I have REALLY, honest to God liked since I really started putting effort into dating. I was excited about all the things we had in common and how well we talked to each other and the CHEMISTRY. It was so there. I can't even be mad at him b/c he did let me know that he had found someone else he was really interested in and didn't try to hide anything from me. Said he still wanted to be friends. I said ok, but really..............if we can't date, I don't really want to be his friend. He is nice, don't get me wrong, its just that the attraction isn't a "friend" thing, so no use in putting myself through that. I'm guessing this whole "friend" thing will fizzle out eventually and I won't have to worry about it. Even though I didn't know him for long. I just really got my hopes up that FINALLY I had found a decent guy. I wasn't even bothered that he had a daughter and an ex wife (no offense to anyone). I told my bff about him and I said, "If he isn't the ONE, then he is pretty dang close." Well, obvioulsy wasn't the one so if he is pretty dang close...........can the ONE be that far away? I figure I've "kissed" enough frogs at this point..........gotta be getting close. I told my roommate that I've had to wait long enough.........I think I should get a really cute guy with lots of money, lol. But I'm sure plenty feel like that.

Anyway, I guess I could have turned to food and drink for comfort that day because on top of my aunt's comment and that text message I was in a very emotional place. But this time I decided to be constructive and so I spent most of the afternoon in my yard spreading mulch, grass seed, planting. That's probably where I overdid it with my back, but I didn't over eat.

Gotta learn to deal with things sometime.......I guess.

So sorry to hear about the guy, Brooke, but good for you for turning your feeings into something positive and working on your yard instead of turning to food! You are the one in charge of your food intake and don't let anyone else make you upset enough to lose sight of your goals. I'm sure it was his loss, but I would also suggest that you not totally disregard the offer of friendship. Some of the strongest romantic relationships I know started out as "just friends" (including my DH and I, who were friends in college before we started dating). Who knows, his new relationship could fizzle out and he might appreciate having a friend to talk to. I'm a hopeless romantic, but "When Harry Met Sally," is my favorite romantic movie (and also kind of mirrors my relationship with my husband)...sometimes best friends do end up together!!

Best of luck to you!!

So sorry to hear about the guy, Brooke, but good for you for turning your feeings into something positive and working on your yard instead of turning to food! You are the one in charge of your food intake and don't let anyone else make you upset enough to lose sight of your goals. I'm sure it was his loss, but I would also suggest that you not totally disregard the offer of friendship. Some of the strongest romantic relationships I know started out as "just friends" (including my DH and I, who were friends in college before we started dating). Who knows, his new relationship could fizzle out and he might appreciate having a friend to talk to. I'm a hopeless romantic, but "When Harry Met Sally," is my favorite romantic movie (and also kind of mirrors my relationship with my husband)...sometimes best friends do end up together!!

Best of luck to you!!

Thanks. I hope things work out too. Here is hoping that my intuition will work in my favor. It often helps others.

I did great with Easter. I made roasted veggies to bring and they were a big hit, only came home with a baggie of them. I ate small portions of everything on the table (tablespoon or two) and most it was healthy b/c most of my family has to eat better now. We had pound cake with fresh berries and homemade whipped cream. I didn't eat anything until later that night and I had a egg sandwich. I felt no compulsion to stuff my face because I could. It was a nice feeling.

Wooo hoooo! Awesome job with Easter, Brooke. I cooked for my family (ham, potato salad, corn casserole, salad, peas, fruit and veggies platter). I also did well. I stuck to the salad and fruit. I tried to have the ham, but one bite and I knew it wasn't going to sit well. Protein is very challenging to get in for me and it's the most important part of my eating now.

Things continue to be slow. I'm at 68 lbs and have been for several days. I am 22 lbs away from losing 100 lbs (from my all time high - not my pre-surgery weight). I am so excited. I never thought this would be possible for me to do. I have a much healthier lifestyle and approach to eating. It's not the priority for me anymore. I don't think about eating like I used to. Now, it's just fuel for my body. It's an incredibly foreign feeling for me.

Wooo hoooo! Awesome job with Easter, Brooke. I cooked for my family (ham, potato salad, corn casserole, salad, peas, fruit and veggies platter). I also did well. I stuck to the salad and fruit. I tried to have the ham, but one bite and I knew it wasn't going to sit well. Protein is very challenging to get in for me and it's the most important part of my eating now.

Things continue to be slow. I'm at 68 lbs and have been for several days. I am 22 lbs away from losing 100 lbs (from my all time high - not my pre-surgery weight). I am so excited. I never thought this would be possible for me to do. I have a much healthier lifestyle and approach to eating. It's not the priority for me anymore. I don't think about eating like I used to. Now, it's just fuel for my body. It's an incredibly foreign feeling for me.

You doing so well though. I can only hope I'll make it to 68# someday. Right now if I can get 30 off, I'll be excited. The dreaded 30# is always hard for me. It seems to be wear my body refused to go any further. So, I want to get there, but I'm also scared of it.

It wasn't my best weekend. I decided to blow off some steam and not track this weekend, although my natural appetite is not as large as it used to be anyway. I of course went out and had drinks and didn't even dance to work off the calories. But I'm back on track today. Spot on.

My grandad went back into the hospital again. This is the third time in a month. I don't know how much longer he can do this or how much longer they are going to let this go on. Honestly, I just don't think anyone is ready to let go of him yet and refused to make that decision. I don't want to lose him either, but I see the damage its doing to my mom. She is hanging on so hard and trying just to be strong, but it is taking its toll. Its not my place, but as much as I love him.........I love my mom too.

On top of this, the guy I liked did break up with that girl (who he said was crazy. I'm just saying that I totally called this). We started talking again and then...........we talked too much one night. We had the "what are we talk." It needed to be had, but I knew that it wasn't going to go well for me. I got the, "You are an awesome girl, but I'm not ready to really be in relationship" speech. He was nice about it and wants to be friends, but I told him I would have to think about that b/c I don't see him as just a friend. He is going to give me some time. I can't even hate on him b/c he just did everything in a very respectful way. I hate that everything about the "potential" relationship would have been great. I won't go into to detail, but trust me, it was a very hopeful thing.

Anyway, went out this weekend to try and distract myself. Been doing some yoga and breathing exercises to help work through things too. Lavendar baths are my best friend. I'm doing everything I can not to turn to food, though I did turn to alcohol a bit, but I'm too old for that kind of medication for emotions now. It didn't work and it didn't feel good after either. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I'm moving on and foresee a good week for me. :D This is week 4 of my back injury so I guess I get to go into the chiropractor and see if I have to wait two more weeks for more activity or if I'm good to go. I hope I'm good to go because I could use some activity to work out these stressful things.

It is good to hear that you are putting in efforts and caring about yourself and your body. A Healthy body is when you feel healthy from inside and that creates a kind of satisfaction for you when you get compliments for your body. I suggest you that try doing some aerobics and extra cardio which might help you maintain a lien body.

It is good to hear that you are putting in efforts and caring about yourself and your body. A Healthy body is when you feel healthy from inside and that creates a kind of satisfaction for you when you get compliments for your body. I suggest you that try doing some aerobics and extra cardio which might help you maintain a lien body.

Thank you. I do cardio, but I'm restricted right now due to a back injury. Hopefully the chiropractor will clear me this week, but I might have to be restricted for up to another 2 weeks. But for now I right the recumbent bike and work on some easy weights. I do yoga when its in session too.

I've been noticing a trend as I keep track of my weight daily. It seems when I'm about to go down another # or 2 I always go up a couple pounds then come down 1# at a time, then drop quickly. Its so weird. I need to compare this to my food journal and see if this is a eating habit that is showing up too or just a weird way my body works. Honestly, if I could nip this in the bud, I'd be losing 2# exactly each week instead of taking two weeks to lose two pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit I've been at a stalemate for about 2 weeks. I've let some stress in my life get the better of me. Those reasoning skills I bragged about before seem to have left me. But everyday I'm make strives to get back in the proper frame of mind. I was putting emphasis on someone I shouldn't have been. Its about me right now and I can't forget that.

In the meantime, I did walk a 5K on Saturday. Though I walk about 3 miles in my neighborhood a couple times a week I hadn't done it in a while due to my back injury, plus the terrain for this 5K was def. more challenging. I still completed it though I pretty much came in last of the walkers. But I tracked it with my phone and we really did closer to 4 miles rather than the 3.1 a 5K is. So in that light, I give myself props for not really having much preparation b/c of my injury, this being my first 5K and that they miles were kinda off.

I mowed the yard yesterday with the push mower. My front yard isn't that hard, but the back yard is pretty much all slated, so I'm mowing on the side and up the hill mostly. I def. get a nice workout in b/c I'm walking with a self propelled mower. That thing pulls you, so you have to walk it's speed if you use the self propelled part. It took me about an hour and MFP says I burned about 800 calories. I also stayed in motion for most of the day, cleaning and so forth.

Today I get back to food basics. Being mindful of my amounts and WHAT I'm eating as well. I'm already back to where I was 2 weeks ago on the right track, but I really want to hit the next milestone and that will take me, making time for myself and not letting others influence my decisions. And I WILL DO IT. I'm 5# away from 20# and I can't wait to see that number.

I have been focusing myself on someone who obviously doesn't deserve my focus and I've let myself slip because of it. Maybe just proof I'm not ready for a relationship. Though in my defense we both were on a healthy journey and I did feel encouraged by him until he decided he didn't want to date. Then I just went into a whirlwind of trying to figure out what was wrong with me and how to change his mind. OBVIOUSLY, that was stupid.

Anyway, I'm glad I have seen the error of my ways and will I'm now back on track. I won't be able to see the results for another week or so, but I'm focused back on myself and making myself better (by MY standards).

Hi everyone! Just want to introduce myself on this thread! My family and I are leaving on the Dream out of New Orleans on Oct. 26. That gives me right at about 5 months to do something!

I have been yo-yo dieting for the last couple of years. I'm 5'0 tall, and in my early 20's let myself get up to 220lbs. Then I did a lot of calorie counting and Zumba and got down to about 180...fell in love, got married, and gained... got back to 200... then I tried Medifast...got back down into the 180's...and my sweet MIL who I adored passed away in a tragic car accident. Over the last year and a half I spun out of control with eating. My main problem is FAST FOOD (had a kitchen remodel and couldn't cook for several months), sweets and carbs.

Now I am trying Advocare and doing Zumba again. I have lost 2.5lbs in the past 10 days or so. I would love to at least be in the 180s before this cruise in October!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hi everyone! Just want to introduce myself on this thread! My family and I are leaving on the Dream out of New Orleans on Oct. 26. That gives me right at about 5 months to do something!

I have been yo-yo dieting for the last couple of years. I'm 5'0 tall, and in my early 20's let myself get up to 220lbs. Then I did a lot of calorie counting and Zumba and got down to about 180...fell in love, got married, and gained... got back to 200... then I tried Medifast...got back down into the 180's...and my sweet MIL who I adored passed away in a tragic car accident. Over the last year and a half I spun out of control with eating. My main problem is FAST FOOD (had a kitchen remodel and couldn't cook for several months), sweets and carbs.

Now I am trying Advocare and doing Zumba again. I have lost 2.5lbs in the past 10 days or so. I would love to at least be in the 180s before this cruise in October!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Welcome and I think that you sound determined and very reasonable and will reach your goal most definitely!

• 2 months later...

I'm doing fine.

I'm very slowly, but surely making progress at 17# down. I want to be at 25# by Nov. second for my cruise.

I've picked up doing weights too. I can bench press 65# and do two sets with 5 reps

I can do 80# on the resistance machines 2 sets at 10 reps

I can do 320# on the leg press and I've worked my way up to 5 sets of 15 reps.

I do cardio on the elliptical when my back is in good shape or I switch to the recumbent if my back needs a rest. About 25 mins. a 5 days a week and then I switch back and forth between upper and lower body weights between those days.

I also signed up for a mud run obstacle course. My roommate and I will do it September 13th. We aren't training for it and neither do I plan to actually run. I plan on trying to do as much of the obstacles as I can physically handle all well helping out our local YMCA.

The fact that I push mow my .50 acres of yard (back yard is on a hillside) and I have a 4 month old puppy, I'm more mobile at home that I have been too. Once Fall hits and I get her better on the leash, I will start taking her for walks in the evenings. Its too hot for her right now b/c she is a husky/Shepard mix and neither breed do well in the heat.

I feel better all around. I'm not satisfied with my body weight still, obviously, but I'm okay with where I'm at. I had all my nephews and nieces over on Tuesday and they were playing run around my house in a circle (my living room and kitchen make a circle) and I was letting them chase me around. That felt good that I could play with them like that. What felt better was when we all took a break, but the 3 year old got right back up and looked at me and said, "Come On Broke," I didn't have to hesitate b/c I was too tired or out of breath. I got right back up and we all started chasing each other again. B/c of my spine, I probably won't be able to really ever run a 5K (advice from my chiropractor), but it is nice to know I have the endurance and strength to enjoy my nieces and nephews.............oh and my puppy.

My cruise is coming up and I'm already making plans of how I'm going to make time fore exercise during the cruise so that I might detour any over eating as my body is used to movement now.

On my first cruise Carnival cruise I was about 350# and I lived a VERY sedentary life. So when I went on that cruise, I was actually moving more on vacation than I did at home and lost 5#. Now I will have to prepare for the opposite. I will probably be more relaxed on the cruise than at home so I will have to try and counter that.

I will hopefully get back to my yoga come fall when they offer more class times. Right now I've been away for almost 2 months b/c they have it right after work and I HAVE to get home to let my puppy out. Once she gets older and can hold it longer and they have more times open, I will return to it. But I think its good to take a break from an exercise. Switch things up so you don't get bored and your body doesn't get stagnate. So this summer I've really working on my cardio and my strength. Come fall I can add yoga back in for mild cardi with resistance and core.

Here is me back on that first cruise:

c88f349e-5164-4ae6-ae39-e7a555eec4b6_zps93fa114a.jpg

Here is me this past weekend at a friend's bachelorette:

1621888_630267592506_7029870063129587806_n_zps44ee2549.jpg

This shirt wasn't the most flattering nor was I standing in a great pose, but you can see I still have a lot of work to get done. If only my body slimmed out as quick as my face:

05bcde92-bd7f-4bee-8a3b-d045d8663f12_zpsd560cd79.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on losing the 17 lbs!! That is wonderful!! I think you look great. Congratulations also on all of your gym time. I'm sure that makes you feel better. Yes, kids and animals...they will definitely keep you running around and in shape!!

I am fighting to stay on track this month. It's Magical Dining Month in Orlando when many 4 star restaurants offer a 3 course fixed price menu at a greatly reduced price. These meals all include dessert, so it's a cheat for me, but only happens once a year, so DH and I are indulging a bit. I think the key is to let it be an indulgence and not an excuse to go off track completely. I still do not eat bread, pasta, rice, or potatoes, so a occasional sweet every now and then isn't a complete disaster!!

Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise! No cruises in the near future for us, as I just started a new job and any vacation time I have is spent visiting my son in NYC to watch his school performances.

Great news on the weight loss!:)

Edited by pcrum
grammar

• 1 month later...

I can so relate! I'm doing Weight Watchers & doing good with it! One of the things I like about RCI is they have their spa menu. I had very lovely chicken with rosemary perfumed mashed potatoes most nights! I did eat the lobster on lobster night! I walked on the walking track, when we had at sea days, & walked at every port (even if it was shopping). I came OFF THAT CRUISE 8 pounds LIGHTER! I think a cruise is a great vacay for waist line watchers!

Navigator of the Seas

THANKSGIVING CRUISE

Sept. 23!!

• 3 months later...

:) Looking good Brooke, I haven't been on cruise critic for a long time. Job was taking up all my spare time, we installed a new system and since I was one of the only ones who understood how it worked I got to train everyone else. Now it is me time and back to exercise and good eating, I was such a slacker for the past several months.:( Now I got some working out to do. I hope all is going good in your life.

I have had a lot of stress and tragedy in my life recently. Though not an excuse it has deterred me and created some bad habits. I tried getting back in the gym last week and I injured my disc quite badly. So my chiropractor asked me to start with some easy yoga then work my way back up to cardio and weights again. I could hardly walk last Wednesday, but I listened to the Chiropractor and have been resting, icing and taking anti inflams and have healed more quickly than he thought. But I'm still be cautious and taking a noon yoga class on Wednesday. I'm really focusing on food for the next two weeks. Getting back to my daily calorie intake and tracking it. I also spent my lunch today planning two weeks of dinners (I need to plan lunch too, but one thing at a time) and putting together the grocery list for it. My roomie and I have agreed on this and hopefully we can help each other be healthier by planning ahead. Though not all the recipes are "healthy" They are planned and balanced and we are practicing portions. Hopefully in the next two weeks I'll be add in more yoga and get my calorie intake in check. Then I'll work on planning lunches for myself, adding in more cardio slowly and creating lower calorie meals.

That's my plan for now. Short term, but that's what I can deal with for the moment.

I know I've been at this a long time. I depress myself sometimes at my lack of progress. However, I accept the fact that I probably will never fit into medical parameters of "healthy weight," But I want to fit into my definition of it. So, I'll start there. One step at a time, just like you said.

So far, 4.2# gone this week. Just goes to show how bad my eating habits were if I can lose that much and still not be 100% onboard.

Doesn't help that I've a string of bad luck with a sinus infection, then my disc going out and now the Dr. says I have a viral infection that is causing cold like symptoms. So, nothing, but treating symptoms really unless it goes up to two weeks like this. The end of this year ended with so much going on, death, serious illnesses and I just want to start fresh and feel better. Its hard pushing through this, but I'm doing the best I can to stay positive and realize that life really isn't all that bad at the moment. Just a little tough.

I have been trying really hard since the beginning of the year to lose some weight and get back to the gym, so far I have lost only 1 pound. I was so depressed on Friday morning when I got off the scale I wanted to hurl it at the mirror. I did not, I told myself to just keep pushing on. I take a ton of vitamins so I rarely get sick. Just keep pushing on that's all we can do. Have a good week!

I start back to my split schedule this week. I work half a day then come back at night to work. Its hard b/c it messes with my eating and workout schedule some. But so far me and my roomie have done well sticking to our two week meal schedule. We have moved some meals around, but have done well with keeping in sync. The hardest part will be the snack foods I buy the students I work with. They have a entire cabinet of junk food I keep for them. I'm just gonna have to STAY OUT OF IT. I'm an adult. I can do that.

I'm free to start back to exercise this week after being off from my disc injury. But I'm just going to do some yoga for starters. Then work back into cardio and weights again. I don't want to hurt myself that way again.

Officially lost 4# this week. So its a start. I'm supposed to lose 2# a week on the calorie intake I have and that's without exercise programmed in. I'm just looking at this week and losing 2# by next Monday. That's as far as I'm looking.

• 5 months later...

I'm sure its not a shocker to anyone. But I'm now pre-diabetic. Not a shocker to me either as its in my genetics, even for those who aren't overweight on my dad's side. My brother has been for 2 years. My dad and his sister are actually diabetic, as was his mother. My dad and his sister are both doing super great with staying on point, lost about 50 # each and are at healthy weights. My brother could lose about 50 and be fine. Obviously, I could stand to lose a whole person.

I would say this is a turning point and blah blah, that people normally say, but it isn't. People get scared by this stuff and I guess since I've grown up around it, its always been a part of my family and life, it isn't that scary. Desensitized, I guess.

But what does make me unhappy is how bad I feel all around. For the past 9 months I guess you can say I've been in somewhat of a functioning depression. I've barely made attempts at the gym or exercise, I've not paid much attention to food intake and make excuses for what I do eat, I've retreated to staying in a lot, napping, boughts of sadness and stress etc.

I think it started when my pawpaw died in December. I loved that man more than I can ever express. We didn't needs words or to see each other all the time to show how much we cared. He was supposed to live forever in my eyes and I was not ready for him to go.

Also during this time my brother was dealing with a serious run of kidney stones. Hospitalization, surgeries etc. So I was helping with the kids a lot. Christmas Eve, about a week after my pawpaw died, I got a phone call in the middle of the night b/c my brother needed to go to the hospital and I had to come stay with the kids. By Christmas morning, he was in the ICU with a very serious blood infection from the back up in his kidneys and it was very touch and go. Meanwhile, 4 kids on Christmas woke up with no parents and only me and grandma. Me, who was still very much grieving and very much so on the one holiday that belonged to my pawpaw.

Come January I'm back at work.............with a sinus infection.............then I'm out of work with a very nasty injury to my disc, to which i reinjured it 2 more x before the 8 week healing process was over. Needless, to say my boss was not excited about my various absences.

It also started a weird relationship with my new supervisor and me. We don't communicate well. I like him well enough as a person, but as my supervisor I dont' understand him or how to work with him. I notice my overall job performance goes down and I'm messing things up that I know I can do.

March, my mom's dad dies. The last of my grandparents. I was supposed to work a big event at work that day and was standing in the parking lot waiting to gather to students to go to the event and my mom called and told me. I could have walked to my car and left and went home, as would have been my right. But, I knew I would get off early that day and that we were short handed, so I put on my best professional face and got through the day without telling anyone or losing it.

Meanwhile, I get on the scale and it just creeps up everyday. I tried many times to get back on course. Renew myself, try to new things, go back to old things that worked.

Then my roommate moved out for a new job. Not only my roommate, but my BFF. Then an old (bad) flame tried coming back into my life and at first I thought it was a second chance, until I figured out he was just using me to try and cheat on his g/f.

Work seems to get harder and no one tells me I'm doing a good job or even tells me how I could improve, which my SIL says is a tactic to get me to leave. I have a serious passion for my work b/c its where I went to school. But lately, I feel drained and useless and stupid. I know I'm not any of those things. I can do my job and do it well, I'm just not sure I want to anymore.

I guess I could continue to whine about problems that everyone has and don't put on 30# over and instead fix it. I know what people say about excuses, but honestly. I think excuses and road blocks are valid. If you continue to let them happen or don't see that they are happening or don't take action to try and prevent them. That's when I think you can get a little snippy about it.

Mainly, I've been feeling icky, overwhelmed, overweight (by my standards) and just not my normal self. And whether I'm 200# or 500# I want to feel good by at the very least, my standards. I'm not meeting my own standards at this point and that makes me more sad and upset than anything.

So one day at a time I'm on the road to trying to turn this back around. Focusing on several different areas that are causing some issues so that I can cleanse and get back on a overall life positive path. I'm in the research part now, finding and reading different perspectives on diabetics and genetics and dieting and wellness etc. Understanding and creating meal plans, spreadsheets. Anything to help me focus. As I'm a little bit of a OCD about planning, cleaning, organization this is my first step. Knowledge is power and I'm getting all I can at this point. But I am slowly, with what I know already taking small steps each day to change habits. 30 min. walks with my dog and changing to whole wheat, throwing out some just big NO NOs. etc.

I don't know why I wrote this, in the past I've gotten judged a little too much here, but I know there are some who have supported me all along so I guess I feel I owe you this and maybe I owed myself this. Written out, in black and white.

Brooklyn. You could have been a poster child,for many contestants on "The Biggest Loser". It all starts with your mindset and clearly that issue needs to be addressed first. Many clinical dieticians work with psychologists and tackle your issues on both fronts.

On a personal note last August I had a severe gallbladder attack and had to have a tube inserted for 6 months to drain it before they allowed me to have surgery laparoscopically. My doctor put me on a strict low fat low carbohydrate diet and in January of this last year after losing some weight they allowed me to have the surgery today I can boast that I've lost 55 pounds and it hasn't been easy I'm now back at the gym Planet Fitness which incidentally is a sponsor of the biggest loser there are no judgments by the people there and actually no scales at the gym kind of interesting. So it can be done and it won't be easy. Keep a positive attitude and your friends from previous cruises will keep you in their prayers

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Brooke, I am glad you posted, I often wondered how you were doing. I am sorry things have been difficult. You have always stayed positive so I hope you are able to find that inside of you again.

Life can have such ups and downs. Brooke, have you talked to your Dr. about the depression you have been feeling? There are so many good medications out there to help you.

I have been dealing with the pre diabetic issues for a couple of years now, I sometimes can do great for months and then go off the wagon as they say and gain some weight back that I tried so hard to lose.

I hope you continue to post and find some support and encouragement from people here that truly care.

I hope you stay in touch. Good luck. I am thinking good thoughts for you.

Lori