Dog camp???????

wilber1

Hello I was wondering if any one has done the summer dog sled camp in Skagway or Juneau? I believe they pull some type of wheeled cart on trails. I would like to know if it was worth the money and your thoughts!

Thanks

Yep, we've done it twice at Caribou Crossing. The last time was 2 years ago, so I apologize it any of this is out of date. They offer a shorter and longer ride. Reservations are needed for the longer ride only (which is the one we did). If you do make reservations, remember that the time changes at the Canadian border.

What's involved? A dogsled racer comes out and shows you a racing cart and gives some information on what a race is like. There may or may not be puppies to play with and coo over. Then it is time for your ride. It is crazy to see how excited the dogs get when they know a ride is coming. They jump up and down, clearly communicating "Pick me! Pick me!" You load up on a wheeled dogsled with 3 rows of seats, and when the musher gives the signal, you're off! The ride is bumpy and pretty fast and goes through a wooded area. Usually they stop part way through to give the dogs water (since even if the weather is only in the 70s, it is still hot for them). We really, really enjoyed this the two times we've done it. As a bonus, you get a nice drive on the way there (about 1 1/2 one way, if memory serves).

Hi: My husband is doing the heli/dog sled on glacier in Skagway while i just do the heli/walk on glacier. Dont think would like to just do without the ice. We will do with TEMSCO. They operate out of Juneau and Skagway. As more to do in Juneau, i think, will do in Skagway.

We're doing the Seaveys Ididaride kennel tour (Google it) in Seward before the cruise starts...1 1/2 hr...2-3 mi. ride. They placed 4th-6th and 48th in this yrs Iditerod race, and the owner placed 1st in '04. Pick up from Seward included...60$$ w/tx

My husband and I did the summer dog camp in Juneau on our second cruise to Alaska. We did the heicopter landing / dog sled the first time and while the summer camp tour didn't compare to that we enjoyed it and thought it was well worth the money. There was a musher that lectured/answered questions after the ride and that was very informative then we got to help socialize the puppies which was a delight. I've attached a couple of pictures.

1962865930_musherscamp2.jpg.b2e350f941b8389f4ae4585b7de42dc6.jpg

2052585978_musherscamp.jpg.903c95e34064ca9053a2b451027dba57.jpg

With regards to the Caribou crossing one,the puppies were outside of where they kept the actual sled dogs, and were free for al to play with. They were soooooo cute--and tired,lol You would pick them up and they would barely stir. We wanted to bring one home with us!!

We have done both the summer camp in Skagway and the camp in Caribou Crossing. Both are lots of fun.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/sapphire2.html

and

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Incidentally, I have answered this question REPEATEDLY on these boards and if you do a search you will find lots of threads on this question. No need to post it yet again ...

We visited the puppies at Caribou Crossing in Skagway, and elected not to do it. Reason: we did the wheeled cart ride before, in Wasila, and decided it was worth it to do it once. But not twice. The puppies were sleeping and not overly sociable when we were there, either. However, they did have a year-old Golden Retriever who was VERY sociable.

Archived