Princess Cruiser but what about NCL?

gettingmarried

Another Princess cruiser here that couldn't pass up the deal on NCL. We took a trip on the Dawn to NE. I liked the ship, the service was good, and we had a wonderful time. We only ate in the regular dining room twice in 11 days - that was enough- the alternative dining was wonderful - but you do have to pay to get that level of food. Since then they have come out with increased spending on food, so haven't tried that. I'm sure you will have a good time. If I was going to do a cruise to Hawaii, I would be back - they also have some wonderful Bermuda itineraries. :D

We're somewhat biased, with 9 Princess cruises vs. only 1 on NCL. The NCL was on the Norwegian Crown 3 years ago to Bermuda. The ship was supposed to be moving out of their fleet at the end of the year and the attitude of the people on board showed.

The food on NCL was below the Princess standards, especially in the buffet. Very limited selections. We also had diabetics on our cruise and the diabetic desserts were very limited and bland compared to Princess. Shows on NCL were decent, but one of their comedian/juggler headliners we saw the next year on Princess, but instead of a headliner, he was only able to rate a job as a performer in the Piazza.

NCL is a more casual ship than Princess. Young people might enjoy it more than some of the Princess ships. I'd check the ship to see what services each ship you're considering offer.

NCL also used to offer a package on photos that Princess didn't. You could pay a flat rate and purchase all of the pictures you appear in. We wish this was available by Princess (and I don't know if NCL still has it).

We were also very disappointed with the response NCL personnel had when our ship had problems (we were on the Norwegian Crown when it ran aground on a sand bar for 12 hours in Bermuda). However, that's a very rare occurrence during a cruise.

I'd say the main thing I'd use to choose between the two lines is the ports we'd be visiting. Since our vacations are primarily to visit different countries and ports, I would decide which cruise line had the ports I was most interested in seeing.

It is an easy choice.

Even Celebrity has really gone downhill in there quality.^\

They and NCL are now comparable..

With Princess it is so SO much better in your values received and perceived.

Even after becoming merged with CCL/CUK :NYSE now they have exceeded goals and expectations. (( If your Shareholder.. Use your Shareholder benefit ))

If not BUY yourself at least 100 shares and each daughter too that amount.:cool:

Sunce NCL is a few dollars lower... there sure must be a reason.. they do as many cruise lines Nickel and Dime you...

But like in all things such as love and life..it is what YOU make of it which counts most!;)

I am a past Princess cruiser x 2 and wondering if anyone can give me some insight into cruising on NCL? Their cruises seem such a good rate and I realize one gets what they pay for. We are taking our two adult daughters with us, ages 24 and 22 and thought to save some $$$ we would cruise on NCL but do not want to do this if they are a crummy cruiseline. Any suggestions or comments would be great, thanks!

It is an easy choice.

Even Celebrity has really gone downhill in there quality.^\

They and NCL are now comparable..

With Princess it is so SO much better in your values received and perceived.

Even after becoming merged with CCL/CUK :NYSE now they have exceeded goals and expectations. (( If your Shareholder.. Use your Shareholder benefit ))

If not BUY yourself at least 100 shares and each daughter too that amount.:cool:

Sunce NCL is a few dollars lower... there sure must be a reason.. they do as many cruise lines Nickel and Dime you...

But like in all things such as love and life..it is what YOU make of it which counts most!;)

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! If NCL "nickle and dimes" you with alternative dining and everything else you at least know it ahead of time. Princess is NO WAY in the class of Celebrity..at least the Pacific Princess..and lets start with clealiness and service. Thought it was my imagination and I was being picky, but I've been reading other comments from Princess cruisers. VALUE RECEIVED.. you have to be kidding..the food in the MDR was great,but otherwise inthe Horizon Buffet, breakfast and lunch in the MDR was .. I'll order something and see if it comes.. Just read a review about the Emerald Princess Seinfield group..hysterical..we didn't run into those people but people who were ELITE and let you know it.. and the fact they got free laundry and free internet service.. If perks and an carrot before your eyes is what drives you to Princess.GO, have a great cruise. It cost me no more than $8.00 to do my laundry for two weeks and I didn't lose a shirt or socks.. Yes, the ship had a few positive items.. Thought over our meal at Sabattini's and it was mainly appetizers, tray after try after tray..hmmm. At least with NCL y ou know what your in for..

I had a friend who took her kids on an NCL cruise (actually NCLA) and she thought it was fine, but did have a problem with the kids' area and is still fighting to be heard (I don't think she'll get any redress on her complaint). But she just has a Carnival cruise years ago to compare it to.

I just don't like the idea of having to pay to have a decent meal (from what I've heard) and if I don't manage to get a reservation in, forget about a decent meal. I don't want to deal with freestyle...I can do that type of dining off the ship.

I had a friend who took her kids on an NCL cruise (actually NCLA) and she thought it was fine' date=' but did have a problem with the kids' area and is still fighting to be heard (I don't think she'll get any redress on her complaint). But she just has a Carnival cruise years ago to compare it to.

I just don't like the idea of having to pay to have a decent meal (from what I've heard) and if I don't manage to get a reservation in, forget about a decent meal. [b']I don't want to deal with freestyle...I can do that type of dining off the ship[/b].

Two reasons I went with Princess over NCL, were not wanting free style and having a more formal setting. Low and behold I was forced to have anytime dining (aka free style). In my head the concept makes sense but in my heart, it's not what cruising is all about. With things changing, I think anytime will be best for our Alaska cruise. What's next, no dressing up, Oh dear:D Luckily I didn't go with Princess for the food because I was not impressed. We have budgeted for the specialty restaurant for our next cruise. Last November NCL had the 7 nights for $249, so for that price, I can adjust, make reservation, and embrace freestyle, all with a smile:D.

We are booked on our 3rd Princess cruise and have sailed NCL 4 times (5 if you count B2B as 2 cruises). We've also sailed a dozen times on Carnival, three on Disney, three on RCI and one on Celebrity.

We love the food, service, atmosphere and entertainment / activities on Princess.

We enjoyed our NCL cruises, but with some frustrations and disappointments. We thought the entertainment was lousy (production shows not appealing to our demographic, disappointing performers - like hypnotist). We ate in the buffet most of the time because the wait was so long for main dining room. We did pay the surcharge a couple nights, but didn't find the restaurants worth the extra money. Service was very good and we sailed newer ships, so they were very nice.

Given just the right parameters, I'd sail NCL again. But I definitely have a preference for Princess (or Carnival) over NCL.

We just got back from our first NCL cruise. The price was right and it was to Bermuda which we never have been to. I can say that it met our expectations but did not exceed them in any category. We have been on Princess many times and definitely prefer Princess but we would do this particular cruise again because of the itinerary and convenience. A cruise is a wonderful vacation no matter what and if you relax and just take it for what it is a vacation you will have a good time.

Let me start off by saying I have been from Boston to Bermuda from the year Royal had the Majesty and all in all it's probably been a dozen cruises from Boston to Bermuda.. We have not the "free style dining" or the new NCL although we will be doing a t/a in Nov. on the NCL Gem.. Being from MA there is no doubt that driving to the Black Falcon Pier.. dropping your car and luggage off and being on the ship beats flying to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.. Best of all..is being in Bermuda for more than two days... Until the Dawn berthed in NYC the Majesty was the most rebooked ship in the NCL line.. No, you can't compare it to Princess and I wouldn't want to and it certainly isn't Celebrity..Boston to Bermuda and now it's docking at the Dockyard has it's advantages..(haven't docked in the Dockyard and I'm unhappy about it not going to St. George, but that's another story).. A year from this coming week if the sky doesn't fall I hope to be on the Spirit and I hope it's the Spirit going to Bermuda..beautiful Bermuda.. where they actually like tourists, unlike an island I visited on a Princess cruise ship a few weeks ago..St. Barts..where cruisers are considered a nusiance..

From a different perspective, I have cruised mostly on RCCI, once on Carnival - and once was quite enough thank you!!, and once on NCL. I have my first Princess cruise booked and sail in 60 days.

We took an NCL cruise because the price was right, not incredibly cheap and, from a UK cruisers view, a little less than Princess. In the UK we have to pay considerably more than most US cruisers for our trips and they alway seem to cost more than RCCI or lines of that level.

We took the Norwegian Gem from Barcelona last August and went around the Western Med in a Mini Suite. The service was first class as was the majority of the food. We did eat in a couple of the pay restaurants, but that was because we had an anniversary package that allowed us to do so for free. The food was comparable to that in the main dining room as well.

We found the Freestyle Dining to be good and never had to wait for a table - we usually dine around 6.00 p.m. as we have a young daughter.

Our cabin stewards were first rate and we always got a smile from the Ships Officers if we saw them around the ship. The entertainment was a class above Carnival's and comparable with RCCI. We loved the vibrancy and colour on the ship and it was in tip top condition.

I organised a Meet and Greet on the ship and that went off well. About half our Roll Call attended and the staff made us feel very welcome and gave us personal contact numbers in case of any problems.

All in all I would rate, in my personal experience, NCL to be on par with RCCI in all respects.

I now await my first Princess cruise to see where it falls in my own personal League Table LOL!

K

Let me start off by saying I have been from Boston to Bermuda from the year Royal had the Majesty and all in all it's probably been a dozen cruises from Boston to Bermuda.. We have not the "free style dining" or the new NCL although we will be doing a t/a in Nov. on the NCL Gem.. Being from MA there is no doubt that driving to the Black Falcon Pier.. dropping your car and luggage off and being on the ship beats flying to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.. Best of all..is being in Bermuda for more than two days... Until the Dawn berthed in NYC the Majesty was the most rebooked ship in the NCL line.. No, you can't compare it to Princess and I wouldn't want to and it certainly isn't Celebrity..Boston to Bermuda and now it's docking at the Dockyard has it's advantages..(haven't docked in the Dockyard and I'm unhappy about it not going to St. George, but that's another story).. A year from this coming week if the sky doesn't fall I hope to be on the Spirit and I hope it's the Spirit going to Bermuda..beautiful Bermuda.. where they actually like tourists, unlike an island I visited on a Princess cruise ship a few weeks ago..St. Barts..where cruisers are considered a nusiance..

What did you expect from a wealthy French populated island. :rolleyes:

Two reasons I went with Princess over NCL, were not wanting free style and having a more formal setting. Low and behold I was forced to have anytime dining (aka free style). In my head the concept makes sense but in my heart, it's not what cruising is all about. With things changing, I think anytime will be best for our Alaska cruise. What's next, no dressing up, Oh dear:D Luckily I didn't go with Princess for the food because I was not impressed. We have budgeted for the specialty restaurant for our next cruise. Last November NCL had the 7 nights for $249, so for that price, I can adjust, make reservation, and embrace freestyle, all with a smile:D.

The dress code is the same, traditional or anytime, but I feel that traditional dining is what sets a cruise vacation apart from land vacations. IMO, Princess shouldn't call it "personal choice" dining (their umbrella term for having a range of ways you can eat dinner...not just anytime) if you don't get your choice. If there's a waitlist for traditional dining by the sailing date, an area should be cordoned off in the anytime dining room and be made available for traditional dining. You get the same waitstaff and the same tablemates for the entire cruise, without having to wait in line to plead with the maitre'd. Or have to telephone in a request.

[/color]

What did you expect from a wealthy French populated island. :rolleyes:

Well, I tried to spend my Euros (and I did have them with me) but the local shopkeeper was very very intent on her computer and after 4 tries at getting her attention she paid attention to us and I was able to buy the necklace..not a t-shirt.. Here is the best part.. we stopped to get a dish of sorbet (again with Euros)..and I picked mine, took it across the street and sat down.. The man in back of Parrot Pop and I said we had enough Euros... Parrot Pop joined me across the street sans his sorbet........It seems he had paid for his and was eating it when the proprietor told him it wasn't enough AND TOOK HIS EATEN SORBET BACK.. It was in the "local" shops we were treated like that..not Cartier or Bulgari.. From years of traveling I've kept in mind.. that don't worry how your customer is dressed or looks...(it is an old Tiffany story) but what is in their wallet.. You can ignore me because of the way I look (not chic) or my age.. but when you do.. G-d help you...I will go to another shop or another counter..

We prefer Princess over NCL for many of the reasons already listed, overall food and entertainment being most important. But NCL is our choice for itineraries that Princess does not do -- such as sailing out of New Orleans or doing Bermuda.

NCL positives:

We never had a hassle about getting a table for two on NCL but it seems that on most Princess ships we have been on they want to make anytime dining more like open seating and fill up large tables. On our last Golden sailing in April even though we had a reservation for two in the same dining room at the same time for 8 consecutive days, we were always asked at the door if we wanted to share!

We have also found NCL mattresses and bedding are much better than those on Princess. We also enjoyed the coffee maker in the cabin on the NCL Spirit so you could make your own, the "coffee" on Princess is more like hot brown water.

Free style cruising NCL style seems much less regimented than traditional cruising as on Princess. For me it is really nice to really relax and not have to get all dressed up for formal nights, or have to bring all those clothes for formal nights!

Both lines can make for great cruising -- especially if you know what to expect.

John

We also enjoyed the coffee maker in the cabin on the NCL Spirit so you could make your own, the "coffee" on Princess is more like hot brown water.

John

Wow, I always considered it much to strong. :eek: Different standards I guess.

[quote name='gettingmarried']I am a past Princess cruiser x 2 and wondering if anyone can give me some insight into cruising on NCL? Their cruises seem such a good rate and I realize one gets what they pay for. We are taking our two adult daughters with us, ages 24 and 22 and thought to save some $$$ we would cruise on NCL but do not want to do this if they are a crummy cruiseline. Any suggestions or comments would be great, thanks![/QUOTE]

We've been on NCL twice. They're o.k., but we prefer Princess. Just pick one of their newer ships if you're going to sail with them.

Archived