Mosquitos in June?

OnVacation11

We will be leaving for Alaska on June 9. So far I did not see anyone mention any issues with mosquitos while on shore. Should I bring some repellent just in case? I am usually a magnet for them.

We do not plan on hiking in the woods other then walk in Ft. Abercrombie on Kodiak. Our other excursion on land is train/bus with Chilkoot in Skagway.

Thanks.

We will be leaving for Alaska on June 9. So far I did not see anyone mention any issues with mosquitos while on shore. Should I bring some repellent just in case? I am usually a magnet for them.

We do not plan on hiking in the woods other then walk in Ft. Abercrombie on Kodiak. Our other excursion on land is train/bus with Chilkoot in Skagway.

Thanks.

Doesn't look like you're coming up to Anchorage but if anyone is I need to warn you that last Saturday it's like someone turned on a switch and all the mosquitos have appeared and it's not only in my neighborhood as we here at the office all leave in different parts of town and we're all having the same problem. It hasn't been this bad in years and for people if the wind is blowing they don't seem to be that bad.

But when the dogs want to go out those little skeeters are hitching rides back in on them or they are sneaking in when I'm opening the door to let them in and out so I spend the next few minutes squishing those little buggers. Nothing worse than having a buzzing mosquito in your bedroom.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Word is that the skeeters are out in full force. We've purchased Maxi Deet (98%???) for that portion of the trip. It's supposed to be extremely effective for 10 hours - but READ the warnings before you purchase & decide if this is an option for you.

We've purchased Maxi Deet (98%???) for that portion of the trip. It's supposed to be extremely effective for 10 hours - but READ the warnings before you purchase & decide if this is an option for you.

Because of the Deet warnings, my wife is going to try lemon eucalyptus and and I'm trying picaridin. Hope they will work just as well. We'll find out soon!

can you put Deet on clothing more than skin?

Yes you can. I usually spray it on my clothes (especially on the ankle area...socks don't stop mosquitoes!), then spray a little on my hands to pat exposed places and my hair. It's just as effective as spraying all over, but you get a far smaller amount on your skin.

Also, avoid attracting mosquitoes in the first place: do not wear perfume, after shave, scented hair products, and strongly scented skin products. While I've read that the color blue attracts them, I've personally found that yellow seems to make me a target.

I don't know if this works, but if you take ginger pills it's supposed to change your chemistry and repel mosquitoes. Ginger also helps with sea sickness. I used it in Haiti, and am usually a magnet and was left alone BUT everyone was left alone ~ so I don't know if it works.

Karen

Archived