Snorkle at St John when docked at St Thomas

30thteam

We have taken the dawn last year and went to Megans Bay which was very crowded. People said to take a ferry over to St Johns and do snorkle there. Is this an excursion or do you get off and look for somethign there?

There will be an excursion from the ship. Trunk Bay is the place you want to go to. Absolutely beautiful. You can get there on your own. You might want to check the Ports Of Call threads for info. But I'm sure someone here will know. I've done it on my own a few times but haven't in a couple years so it may not be the same routine.

If you don't want to take the ships tour....you get off the ship, find a taxi driver to take you to redHood, get on the Ferry, get another driver to take you to the beach, i think trunk bay gets to crowed, i would suggest Cinnamon bay or Caneel bay. to get home, do the same thing in reverse.

If you wanted to take a private trip, I would suggest going to your roll call and see if 4 more people wanted to charter the "Rumbaba" with you! Beautiful yacht, absolutely delicious food ( they ask for your preference ahead of time), fantastic crew. You can go to the most exclusive beaches ( I agree the Trunks Bay is too crowded). Maybe if you go to your Roll Call, there may already be people looking for 2 more to join them!

• 2 weeks later...

Red Hook is the ferry to St. John. Taxis are waiting to take you anywhere once you get there and it is a beautiful ride. You can snorkel from any beach, but Cinnamon and Trunk have the best facilities. Trunk has a nice little snorkel path to follow. Watch your times though. You might want to try Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas if you like sea turtles, or Coki. Any boat excursion on either island will give you better snorkeling in general.

Yes take the ferry to St John, get off the ferry and leave the dock turn left and walk up the street about a block turn left when you see the VIRGIN ISLAND NATIONAL PARK sign...go into the park office and ask them to point you to the path which takes you to the the prettiest beaches with few tourists....the first one is less then a mile up the path....VERY EASY walk...best thing other then the ferry ride....the National Park is free and really few tourists!!! Enjoy..Donna

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I spent a week in St. John (no s) last year and LOVED it. I wanted to go back this year, but he likes to do new things. :( I want to live there. The snorkeling at Trunk Bay was great and it is so beautiful! We saw lots of fish, coral, 2 turtles, a ray and an octopus while we were at Trunk Bay. We snorkeled lots of beaches there and that was one of my favorite! You will LOVE it! It is crowded at that beach when the cruise ships are in, but most places cruisers go to are, in my experience!

Zubsin in right. We did the Linde Point Trail on St. John and LOVED it, even though it was rather a hassle to get there and back. If you do a search on Yahoo or Google, I'm sure you'll get leads. Or you can go to the NPS website for more info. We hiked to the two beaches [salamon Bay and Honeymoon Bay] then over to Caneel Bay to catch a cab back to the ferry dock. We took the ferry into Charlotte Amalie on the way back to avoid the taxi ride back, and because it was leaving before the Red Hook ferry was leaving. We didn't go very far out to snorkel at either beach, so we didn't see a lot, but what beautiful [and "deserted"] beaches. Be sure and take water/snacks - no facilities at all, except at Caneel Bay, and some of those are limited to guests only.

Archived