water taxi to stone island

pne

water taxi... dropped us off right near a restaurant where I had the best shrimp EVER!

yep, thanks for reminding about La Puntilla, right next to the water taxi pier; yet kinda hidden. Locals love it. Great ambiance waterfront. We'll stop by and try the shrimp

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

Is that through your cruise line or private? We booked privately for $35 and got the activities which we didnt use, a mediocre lunch and open bar where they must not have used alcohol because we had like 10 drinks each and felt absolutely nothing. Then our catamaran ditched us 90 minutes early and we were forced to pay to take the water taxi back. That actually worked out cuz it dropped us off right near a restaurant where I had the best shrimp EVER!

What tour group did you use? We are thinking of booking this with Johann and Sandra - Mazatlan tours.

yep, thanks for reminding about La Puntilla, right next to the water taxi pier; yet kinda hidden. Locals love it. Great ambiance waterfront. We'll stop by and try the shrimp

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

Thanks for posting, I have seen this restaurant from the ship when leaving port in Mazatlan. I've also heard that many of the ship's crew east here. This is the first that I have seen it on CruiseCritic. Thanks again. :)

Two weeks ago -

water taxi - $2.00 round trip

banana boat ride - $6.00 each. fun, fun, fun!

shrimp platter at Victors - $13.00 yum!

ice cold beer at Victors - $1.50 each

chips and salsa free at Victors

We could have gone horseback riding, rented a kayak, had a massage. The water was clean and warm. The beach was sandy and pretty.

We had a great day!

TrueNorth~~Thank you for the current info. :)

I've read that ATV's are available for rent on Stone Island. Do you know the approx. cost and where we would find them? Victors, maybe? or ????

Also, can you please tell me the situation with "restroom facilities" on Stone Island?

Thanks in advance!

Karen

The directions for getting to the water taxi as given by mpbmark are accurate and much appreciated. We were just in Mazatlan on 2/17 and although a somewhat gloomy and wet day, we had a great time. I took some pics to share with those of you concerned about getting over to Stone Island.

Here is the ticket area. Please note that they do make change. I have seen posts that say they do not, but they do.

DSC_6958.jpg

A view from the taxi before we left:

101_0710.jpg

Walking back to catch the taxi:

DSC_6950.jpg

Looking back after we boarded the taxi:

DSC_6951.jpg

DSC_6952.jpg

Arriving back on the other side before walking back to the ship:

DSC_6957.jpg

Lastly, if you or anyone you are with have mobility issues, be forewarned. My son helped someone who was rather large to get into the taxi and it was not an easy feat for them getting in or out of the small boat. You need to be able to board the boat by stepping off the dock and climbing up and over the bow of the boat. If you cannot lift your leg up comfortably, you may want to reconsider this mode of transportation. This is especially true as the boat is not always as pictured in the first photo when it is docked.

Hope this helps someone!

TrueNorth~~Thank you for the current info. :)

I've read that ATV's are available for rent on Stone Island. Do you know the approx. cost and where we would find them? Victors, maybe? or ????

Also, can you please tell me the situation with "restroom facilities" on Stone Island?

Thanks in advance!

Karen

We were there just last week and rented ATVs. They wete 35 for an hour. My 13 yo son was even able to rent his own.

Laura

The directions for getting to the water taxi as given by mpbmark are accurate and much appreciated. We were just in Mazatlan on 2/17 and although a somewhat gloomy and wet day, we had a great time. I took some pics to share with those of you concerned about getting over to Stone Island.

Here is the ticket area. Please note that they do make change. I have seen posts that say they do not, but they do.

DSC_6958.jpg

A view from the taxi before we left:

101_0710.jpg

Walking back to catch the taxi:

DSC_6950.jpg

Looking back after we boarded the taxi:

DSC_6951.jpg

DSC_6952.jpg

Arriving back on the other side before walking back to the ship:

DSC_6957.jpg

Lastly, if you or anyone you are with have mobility issues, be forewarned. My son helped someone who was rather large to get into the taxi and it was not an easy feat for them getting in or out of the small boat. You need to be able to board the boat by stepping off the dock and climbing up and over the bow of the boat. If you cannot lift your leg up comfortably, you may want to reconsider this mode of transportation. This is especially true as the boat is not always as pictured in the first photo when it is docked.

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks for posting the update. !!

We were there just last week and rented ATVs. They wete 35 for an hour. My 13 yo son was even able to rent his own.

Laura

:DThanks Laura for the update....Glad you had fun! I'm assuming that was $35 u.s. dollars, correct? I would prefer to pay with pesos though. :cool:... Did you rent them at Victors?

Thanks again!

Karen

Concur with swedish weave. When you get off the northern water taxi dock, just walk along the dirt road that goes along the hill behind the restarutants and cut thru.

Our day on this beach was the best of our cruise (late Jan). Saddled up at Victors. Mas Cervezas. Played smashball and threw the frisbee. The surf is really easy. Didn't feel the urge to pay for any water sports. Was tough to leave.

Concur with swedish weave. When you get off the northern water taxi dock, just walk along the dirt road that goes along the hill behind the restarutants and cut thru.

Our day on this beach was the best of our cruise (late Jan). Saddled up at Victors. Mas Cervezas. Played smashball and threw the frisbee. The surf is really easy. Didn't feel the urge to pay for any water sports. Was tough to leave.

From the photos posted recently, it looks like the new pier on the Stone Island side has been finished recently. Any recent reports? Thanks in advance.

We hadn't been there previously so I am unsure if this is the "new pier" that people are talking about in the pics I posted. When you are walking back to the pier, you walk along the beach toward the rocks. The brown roof at the left of the pic is just before where you go to get on the water taxi so you can see it is just a short distance from the beach:

b90f9981.jpg

As you approach the rocks you will see the cruise ships in the distance:

302ae6d6.jpg

Perhaps it is a road of sorts, but be careful walking over these purple rocks!

396dc7be.jpg

Go along the small dirt path a few feet and cross the dirt road and the pier will be right in front of you:

55f65c87.jpg

seems there are 2 piers. We have always used this one. $2 round trip. rode with a cookie vendor recently, so it must be the cheaper?

IMG_8549.jpg

This is the pier they normally use, but when I was there, the floating portion was removed for repairs, so they took us a couple hundred yards up the channel to another pier. If you go to this one and don't want to cross the purple rocks, walk to the left up the road a hundred feet or so, and there is a wide dirt path from the road to the beach that is smoother and easier walking than crossing the rocks.

banana boat rides? How long and how much? horseback riding?

Seems about $10 per person banana boat and $35 per person horse. 20 min banana, 1 hour horse (negotiable, as always in Mexico, could be off some, from memory of chatting with others)

Recent Stone Island - we chatted with kids wanting to do that banana

IMG_8452a.jpg

Archived