What to do in Saint John/Halifax in June??

We'll be cruisin to Saint John and Halifax for our first time...during the third week of June and we were thinking of renting a car but since there are 6 of us, we would need a van. So I am wondering if it worth the cost to rent a van and drive around or is there enough to see in walking distance from the port?? Since it's our first time we mainly would like to do some site seeing, shopping and eating... Hopefully the weather is nice.

We'll be cruisin to Saint John and Halifax for our first time...during the third week of June and we were thinking of renting a car but since there are 6 of us, we would need a van. So I am wondering if it worth the cost to rent a van and drive around or is there enough to see in walking distance from the port?? Since it's our first time we mainly would like to do some site seeing, shopping and eating... Hopefully the weather is nice.

There is plenty to see and do within walking distance of the port. Market Square, City Market, Loyalist Burial Grounds and much more. You could even walk to the Reversing Falls via Harbour Passage.

Unless you were planning on going to St Martins to visit the caves, I don't see the need to rent a car to enjoy Saint John.

You'll also find shopping and eating within the area too. Enjoy your visit!!!!

The above answer had to do with Saint John. Also, for Saint John look at this site for a local, easy tour

http://www.saintjohntransit.com/index.php?id=15 . You just walk down to the General Store (turn left after you leave the pier area. It's a little way down on your left) and wait in line and pay the driver in exact cash.

A sign by the road by the General Store will list the departure times. Look for more info about it on this forum. Between doing this and walking the town, going to the City Market, etc. your day will be full.

Halifax is good for walking and sightseeing, also. There is a wonderful boardwalk waterside, the Maritime Museum is located on it. The Citidel is a good walk uphill, I haven't been inside, but many say it is worth the visit. After leaving the Citidel, go to the Public Gardens, they are beautiful. Many other places to see, also, so google Halifax for a map and sightseeing and have fun.

2fingers and travelbig ... thanks for the information...

do you have any suggestions on where to eat and shop?

Like I mentioned there are 6 of us... a couple teenagers, my husband and I and my parents that are in their late 70's...

We all love seafood.. so maybe you can recommend a few restaurants where the locals eat.

Also are there any places for shopping that are enclosed ... incase it's raining :(

Also are there any places for shopping that are enclosed ... incase it's raining :(

Saint John has a great indoor walkway running from the Hilton on the waterfront to City Market, so you can shop without getting wet. When you disembark the ship, take a left and you will walk down to Market Square with its indoor shopping mall and the walkway. There are also lots of restaurants right there - if the weather's nice, they have outdoor seating areas.

2fingers and travelbig ... thanks for the information...

do you have any suggestions on where to eat and shop?

Like I mentioned there are 6 of us... a couple teenagers, my husband and I and my parents that are in their late 70's...

We all love seafood.. so maybe you can recommend a few restaurants where the locals eat.

I recommend Billy's Seafood in the City Market. http://www.billysseafood.com/

If interested, I would make reservations (due to # of people here on cruise days)

For Halifax, the largest indoor shopping center we found is called Scotia Square Mall, located at the corner of Barrington St. and Duke St. A regular mall with nice stores, restrooms and food court. When you google a map for Halifax, it might be written on your map. It can be walked to if everyone is in good physical condition, and if it's raining there are taxis at the pier.

Happy to help with Halifax (we live here). You can certainly rent a van in Halifax and I don't think you'll find renting very expensive really. This will allow you to go to Peggy's Cove, and perhaps as far as Lunenburg and Mahone Bay which are about an hour from the city. Beautiful spots to 'poke around' in and get a feel for the Maritime Flavour. Getting out of the city can be a bit tricky for first timers as we grew up in strange configurations like most maritime Cities.. but you can't really go wrong and you can stop anywhere and ask for help - everybody's friendly!

Now if you want to stay in the city you really don't need to rent a car at all. You can have a wonderful day within walking distance to the cruise Pier. You have a broad group of ages so the biggest question is what to do? If you send me a sample of what you're interested in I'd be happy to make some suggestions. But here are our favourites.

Harbour Hopper Tour - really the most fun way to see things http://www.murphysonthewater.com/harbourhopper/.

If you are looking for something with a bit more of a true historical/less tourist kitch.. the Ambassatours Deluxe Historic tour may have better guides (usually guided by history teachers or some such) and will get into more detail of what you're seeing. You can see this one and other tours at http://www.halifaxtours.net/

In terms of places to go/things to see.. here is what I recommend (all within reasonable walking distance of the cruise terminal (hopefully you'll have good weather. It is sunny and 20 degrees Celsius today - yesterday was raining and 10 degrees celsius!).

Maritime Museum of the Atlantic - fantastic marine exhibits, including the largest collection of Titanic artifacts anywhere. http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/index.html

Citadel Hill - the number one tourist icon in the city - learn about the wonderful history of the city. http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/visit/index_e.asp

Spring Garden Road and the Halifax Public Gardens - walk up Spring Garden road.. a short road with lots of little shops on the street and its sidestreets. At the top find the Halifax Public Gardens where you can stroll through a small beautiful gardens and get a great ice cream!

The Waterfront - you can walk right across the Halifax Waterfront from the cruise terminal. HIghlights to look for: Maritime Museum (see above), Historic Properties (little shops in a beautiful historic building), Nova Scotia Crystal where you may be able to see craftspeople making the most beautiful top quality crystal anywhere, and great seafood restaurants. You'll see the following seafood restaurants in this area Waterfront Warehouse (old warehouse, mid-priced, mid-quality http://www.rcr.ca/restaurants/waterfront-warehouse/), Salty's (Great seafood, stunning view - Try to book a window table in advance - downstairs is more casual, upstairs more pricey But my favourite seafood restaurant in the city. http://www.saltys.ca/), McKelvies - (decent atmosphere, great food http://www.mckelvies.ca/). While you're on your walk you shoudl note that between the waterfront and the 3 blocks north (Lower Water St., Upper Water St., Hollis St. and Barrington) you'll find lots of great pubs and restaurants.

You can also get lots of information at the website of the Halifax tourism industry http://www.destinationhalifax.com/ And if you have any particular interests or destinations in mind, please let me know and I'll try to help.

I hope you have a wonderful time in our city.

The above answer had to do with Saint John. Also, for Saint John look at this site for a local, easy tour

http://www.saintjohntransit.com/index.php?id=15 . You just walk down to the General Store (turn left after you leave the pier area. It's a little way down on your left) and wait in line and pay the driver in exact cash.

A sign by the road by the General Store will list the departure times. Look for more info about it on this forum. Between doing this and walking the town, going to the City Market, etc. your day will be full.

Since your last visit the General Store has been moved across the street as part of the area improvements, so the poster would be looking for it on the right and not on the left as he walks up the street from the pier.

Thank you ... so much to everyone who responded ... lots of great information. I will look it all over and I'm sure I'll have questions :)

If we decide to rent a van .. which car rental places are close to the port and would you recommend doing it in advance?

Also as far as shopping ... what do you recommend for souvenirs??

Thanks again..

:) we too will be in st john on a sunday ( sept 27 )so I emailed maureen hayes at the city market email address and she advised me that the city market will be open on sept 27 form 9-4 ..you are right a lot of places are closed on sunday..she was very quick to respond....

We'll be in St. John on a Sunday. What can we do that will be open then? I've read that many places are not open on Sunday.

Since your last visit the General Store has been moved across the street as part of the area improvements, so the poster would be looking for it on the right and not on the left as he walks up the street from the pier.

sapper,

Thanks for letting me know this. I definitely don't want to pass out bad info.

Happy to help with Halifax (we live here). You can certainly rent a van in Halifax and I don't think you'll find renting very expensive really. This will allow you to go to Peggy's Cove, and perhaps as far as Lunenburg and Mahone Bay which are about an hour from the city. Beautiful spots to 'poke around' in and get a feel for the Maritime Flavour. Getting out of the city can be a bit tricky for first timers as we grew up in strange configurations like most maritime Cities.. but you can't really go wrong and you can stop anywhere and ask for help - everybody's friendly!

We've booked a car from Alamo, and plan to drive to Peggy's Cove. We're a family of 5 (2 boys 16, 14, and girl 12). We could also drive to Mahone Bay and even Lunenburg. But what are special in those two places to see, as opposed to going back to Halifax and see the Citadel or others?

Also got an extended family. There are 7 of them, with a grandmom on cane. They didn't book a car (and now all booked out), so they'll either take a Carnival excursion of walk around Halifax.

We will be there in the beginning of September are are considering the jet boat ride in reversing falls. What will be the temperature of the water that time of year?

Mike

The temperature of the water in the Bay of Fundy and at the mouth of the St. John River (where the falls are) is bone numbing cold at any time of the year. The operator of the jet boat ride recommends that you take a change of clothing to have when you get off the boat. They provide a plastic poncho type of cover for you but you do get wet.

We've booked a car from Alamo, and plan to drive to Peggy's Cove. We're a family of 5 (2 boys 16, 14, and girl 12). We could also drive to Mahone Bay and even Lunenburg. But what are special in those two places to see, as opposed to going back to Halifax and see the Citadel or others?

Also got an extended family. There are 7 of them, with a grandmom on cane. They didn't book a car (and now all booked out), so they'll either take a Carnival excursion of walk around Halifax.

Mahone Bay and Lunenburg are quaint little seaside towns with beautiful houses, and waterfronts. little shops to dart in and out of etc. For the kids your kids age I think that a day of Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg might be a bit 'relaxed' for them. I'd chose either Peggy's Cove or Mahone Bay and then get them back to Halifax. Don't miss the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, and I'd also recommend the Harbour Hopper Tour for that age group as well.

With respect to your extended family I think I would definately recommend a tour. They can do the cruise one, or take their own (harbour hopper or double decker bus if they're running when you're here), Halifax is a beautiful city to walk, but it is spread out and although not extremely hilly is certainly not completely flat either.. I think it would be hard for someone with a cane. Keep checking the rental places.. budget, avis, and national all have locations downtown and would probably all deliver to the cruise terminal as well?

Mahone Bay and Lunenburg are quaint little seaside towns with beautiful houses, and waterfronts. little shops to dart in and out of etc. For the kids your kids age I think that a day of Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg might be a bit 'relaxed' for them.

Thanks. That's the answer I need. As much as Mahone Bay and Luneburg look like nice little towns, it probably won't be that appealing to my kids. Peggy's Cove it is.

I'd chose either Peggy's Cove or Mahone Bay and then get them back to Halifax. Don't miss the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, and I'd also recommend the Harbour Hopper Tour for that age group as well.

With respect to your extended family I think I would definately recommend a tour. They can do the cruise one, or take their own (harbour hopper or double decker bus if they're running when you're here), Halifax is a beautiful city to walk, but it is spread out and although not extremely hilly is certainly not completely flat either.. I think it would be hard for someone with a cane. Keep checking the rental places.. budget, avis, and national all have locations downtown and would probably all deliver to the cruise terminal as well?

We'll look into the Harbour Hopper. I was wondering about the museum because I know my boys are not the museum type, but maybe the Titanic might interest them. I guess I'll ask them this weekend.

Hi... I just took the 4-day cruise to Saint John on the Triumph and had an awesome private tour guide. If you're interested, here is the info ....

His name is Roy Flowers and he owns a cab service. During the tourist season, he provides private tours and can take up to 6 people in a van. He does work with others so he can provide more than just one van. There were four in my group and he met us right at Pugsley Terminal and waited for us to disembark (we were late due to customs issues).

He is an extremely friendly man, very knowledgeable about the area, and loves to talk :p! He took us to the old courthouse and showed us the oldest staircase... it's really cool. He also took us to a beautiful old cathedral before taking us to Fort Howe for photo opportunities (this is the best place to view the ship from shore).

After Fort Howe he took us to St. Martin and the Seaside Restaurant that serves THE BEST Fish & Chips as well as Seafood chowder! Oh my gosh it was soooo good!. He stopped anytime we wanted to take pictures and showed us a lot that you won't see on some of the cruise's excursions. My favorite was the lighthouses and old covered bridges in St. Martin and the drive along the Fundy Trail.

His rates are very good in my opinion.... he charges $50/hour per van (not per person) and his tours usually run 4-6 hours.

I hope this info helps you out. No matter what you decide, I hope you enjoy your cruise and port days! I hope to cruise to Canada again and get to visit Halifax as well!

Oh... if you want to contact Mr. Flowers, his email address is royscab@hotmail.com

Archived