Balcony Size

klo

It looks like on the brochure photo/layout of the ship of the Constellation that the balconies on the Sky deck are larger in the middle of the ship before the Sky Suites. I'm in cabin 9141 and it looks smaller. Can anyone verify if this is true? Celebrity said that the square footage is the same.

Just remember, it's not the size of the balcony thats important, it's how you use it!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Thanks, Sharon. That was a concern for us too, but when we booked we were told that Concierge Class cabins were the only ones left. Come to find out a couple of weeks later, cabins were released and there were many open from inside, outside to balcony. A little irritating but I don't think we have a choice now. Luckily family members wanted to come along, and they have paid less then we did. Oh well, I guess you never really know about cabins that are on hold in comparison to those that are paid for.

Cabins come and cabins go. If you see a better cabin open up and you are already booked in another cabin, the odds are pretty good your TA should be able to switch you around, and if the price has dropped, get you credit for that too. Not knowing when you are cruising, if there is still a cabin you are interested in changing to, check with your TA. That being said, I believe those balconies on 9 may be a tad larger, but not significant. If you want significantly larger, you need to go aft, or to the 1A's near the suites on 6. The concerns on deck 9 are 1) privacy and 2) noise since you are directly below public areas. For those reasons we only book decks 6-8 on M class ships. Have fun!! Jeff

susan and/or jeff

Thanks, Jeff. The noise is definitely a concern for us. We are in 9141 which is under the Seaside Cafe so I don't know how that will affect us. We are leaving in a month for Scandinavia so I doubt there will be too many people running around the pool area when it's so cold yet. So perhaps trying to move forward is a good idea. What is your take on the overhang issue and the noise where we currently are?

Just to be a contrarian, I've done 7 cruises on Millennium-class ships. All of them in deck 9 cabins, which is my preference. Although I've read complaints on the boards about noise I have never experienced it myself. My sense is that noise is a problem just below the service area located in the middle of the cafe. Those cabins have been redesignated 2A, perhaps for that reason. 9141 is not located below a source of noise.

Nor do I see any "privacy" concerns. It is possible, with some contortion, to view a sliver of a few balconies from the cafe, but not 9141.

The overhang is personal preference. In warmer climes, we like an overhang as we have some shade and then sun etc. In colder climes, don't see the issue - if it is sunny you'll still get plenty of sun, depending on time of day, direction of the ship, etc. As long as you are not in your skivvies, privacy is a relative term, but there could be noise, particularly early in the morning once the cafe gets going. If you are early risers, probably not a problem. But then again, as you can tell, others swear by deck 9, so there you go. Jeff

susan and/or jeff

Thanks. I'm just going to take our chances and if it's noisy then I'll ask to move. Hopefully, they'll be room somewhere!

It seems that some people hear noise and others don't. Too many factors to consider and everyone has different experiences. I will let you know though when we return.

Klo,

The deck diagrams are not always accurate, and the Celebrity reps are clueless when it comes to balcony size. The sky deck that you are questioning are standard size.

The fact is that some balconies are huge. The balconies that are facing aft are 6X bigger than standard size. 6135, 6136, 6143, and 6144 are 3X bigger than standard size. There are 16 2C cabins at the very front of the ship on the penthouse deck that have balconies that are 2X bigger than standard, but the deck diagram shows them as being very small. There is much information about balcony size posted in older threads, just do a search.

Splendour of the Seas, 11/17/00

Summit, 10/28/02

Mercury, 5/05/04

Archived