Civitavecchia to Funchal itinerary in November

mpb43

Hi everyone,

I am planning a 50th birthday getaway with my husband in November. There is a very appealing cruise on Navigator from Rome to Madeira--but it's in November. I don't mind cool temps, but it would not be ideal to have rainy weather for the week. Has anyone done a similar itinerary at this time of year?

Navigator does have nice cruise in October from Monte Carlo to Athens but we were just in Greece 18 months ago. We would prefer the November cruise but are worried about the weather. Any thoughts?

We've done parts of the itinerary in November and the weather is guaranteed to be the one thing you cannot count on - sunshine, rain, calm, windy, etc. We are booked on this cruise and can't wait to experience the destinations without the crowds of high season, on a ship that has a fabulous crew, and will be prepared to "dress" for rain/cool weather and bring sunscreen/warm weather clothing. However, if sunshine is extremely important to you, statistically, this might not be the best time of year for the itinerary.

Mariners,

Thanks for the informative reply. I really do like this itinerary, and my husband and I will be much more interested in exploring the ports than basking in the sun.

We were on Navigator in 2007. I really enjoyed the feel of the ship and I agree--the crew was great.

We did a similar itinerary in Nov 2007, Monte Carlo to Funchal, then the 8 night crossing to FLL. We were luckily blessed with incredible weather pretty much the whole time, including the crossing. However, that said, i would agree that Nov can be unpredictable so you should be prepared for some rain and such. The bright side is touring those ports without the usual crowds and feeling like you have the place to yourself.

Have a great cruise.

This cruise is the last leg before the crossing. I looked at the crossing with longing, but alas, we are leaving 3 children at home (the youngest just 6), and we can't be away for so long.

We did the Rome to Funchal itinerary, flollowed by the Atlantic crossing, last November on Voyager. The weather was not ideal but really didn't detract from the overall experience. I recall one instance sitting at the pool bar, where everyone was swathed in blankets, watching others swim and sunbathe. The weather in Palermo and Funchal (which for me were the highlights of the ports of call) was sunny and very pleasant. Tunis was rainy and chilly but still tourable. The ports in Spain were cloudy but not unpleasant. Casablanca was disappointing, but not because of the weather.

The seas seemed choppier in the Med than in the Atlantic. I don't know if this would be an issue on Navigator.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done this trip (either starting in Rome or Monte Carlo) every year on the Voyager and this year we will be on the Navigator. The dates have varied from late October through to early December. I only remember one year as having bad weather and we had to deviate from the regular port for Florence. Temperatures have pretty much been moderate and comfortable.

Last year in Tunis brought torrential rains, but this did not seem to stop people and their touring. I did the Berbar Village 4 Wheel Drive Tour. It was dry up there. Those on the closer in "city" tours were more affected.

The crossing is so far south that weather has always been delightful as well. The first year I had to buy short sleeve shirts as I though it would be much cooler. Live and learn.

I'm glad to hear that this is an enjoyable intinerary. I did book and am really excited. I am currently in Provence on a land trip and it is hot and dry. A cool cruise sounds really appealing right now!

Archived