RCL Alaska -- Wilderness Express train

bilbo109

Are any of you familiar with the "Wilderness Express" train? How is the view from a w/c? Are the panoramic windows viewable or is it up stairs? Is the outdoor viewing platform accessible?

Apparently the Alaska Railroad has lift access to their domed view area, but the person I spoke with didn't know if the Wilderness Express (or HA's McKinley Explorer) had access to their view area.

I use a power wheelchair, no walking nor standing, no transfers out of the w/c unless very close and level (with great difficulty).

Thanks!

-- Bob

Are any of you familiar with the "Wilderness Express" train? How is the view from a w/c? Are the panoramic windows viewable or is it up stairs? Is the outdoor viewing platform accessible?

Apparently the Alaska Railroad has lift access to their domed view area, but the person I spoke with didn't know if the Wilderness Express (or HA's McKinley Explorer) had access to their view area.

I use a power wheelchair, no walking nor standing, no transfers out of the w/c unless very close and level (with great difficulty).

Thanks!

-- Bob

As you suspected, the panoramic windows are upstairs..and there is no access for a person in a wheelchair. Nor is the outdoor viewing platform accessible -- it is small, lots of bumps and openings (you can see through to the train track below), lots of opportunities to get wheelchair wheels entangled.

But the inside coach does have large windows, and you can certainly see outside, and out both sides, while the train is moving.

There is a lift to get you on the train -- but onto a special car apart from the other able-bodied passengers. In the section where I was placed, there was no room for anyone who was not in a wheelchair to sit. This wasn't an issue for me as I happened to be travelling alone, but if you have a companion, they'd be pretty uncomfortable.

We were on the Princess cars that also had HAL cars on the same train. The Princess cars have a lift from the outside to the first level and then have an elevator on the train that takes you up to the panoramic windows. There you do have to transfer to a seat and you do get to sit with your party. Meals are only served on the lower level but they bring the food up for those using chairs/scooters. The toilets (one is accessible one is not) are on the lower level and they will get your chair if you need to use the facilities.

Archived