Akureyri, Iceland-anyone been to this port?

Depends what you want to do. The waterfalls requires transportation. The botanical garden and golf course (ya, really -- both are the Northern-most in the world) do not. Ditto the local museums. The town is small and easily walked.

Depends what you want to do. The waterfalls requires transportation. The botanical garden and golf course (ya, really -- both are the Northern-most in the world) do not. Ditto the local museums. The town is small and easily walked.

Sorry, but not true. Mainland Iceland is wholly below Arctic Circle, and there are several golf courses above the Arctic Circle - in Norway, Sweden, Canada, etc.

Anyway I was in Akureyri during land trip back in 1983. It's easily walkable but do take tours out of town to see interesting places.

You'll love Iceland. I have been there 4 times. :D

Sorry, but not true. Mainland Iceland is wholly below Arctic Circle, and there are several golf courses above the Arctic Circle - in Norway, Sweden, Canada, etc.

Anyway I was in Akureyri during land trip back in 1983. It's easily walkable but do take tours out of town to see interesting places.

You'll love Iceland. I have been there 4 times. :D

Thanks for the correction on the golf course. Either they lied to me or I misremembered. The latter is most likely. <grin>

You will get more responses to your question by posting your thread on the Ports of Call - Europe- Northern Europe board. You can also use the Search function there for past posts.

Hi allinthesameboat,

We will be in Akureyri on June 12th aboard the Azamara Journey and are taking the ship's tour to the Godafoss Waterfalls. Will let you know the details when I return.

Sheila

Archived