It's gonna rain on our 2 days in Bermuda! What to do in Bermuda, now?

irisheileen

Our extended family, is taking my 16 yr old niece on her first cruise THIS Saturday, June 6, 2009. She fell off of a waterfall, fractured her cervical spine and became paralysed on 8/8/08 while on vacation in Hawaii. This is a trip to lift her spirits, as well as her family's.

Now I see that there is a 60% chance of rain on Monday, our full day, and 40% rain on Tuesday our partial day in Bermuda. She was so excited to go to a beach on Monday, Tobacco Bay, and sit at the water's edge and sunbathe while we snorkel. We planned to ferry over to St George, go to Tobacco Bay and check out that general area by the fort. We would taxi to maybe Swizzle Inn, go to Hamilton, explore, and then head out to Horseshoe maybe, or ferry back to Dockyards for Destination Dockyards.

What can we do as an alternative if it rains?

Tuesday we were maybe going to Horsehoe (if we didn't go Monday), and then meet up with members of our group when they were done scuba diving. We will be meeting at Snorkel Park.

What to do on that day if it rains?

I know that Dockyards have alot of shops indoors, and glassworks, but that won't take up 1 1/2 days!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Now I see that there is a 60% chance of rain on Monday, our full day, and 40% rain on Tuesday our partial day in Bermuda.

Many times the rain in Bermuda comes and goes in less than one hour. Don't rule out the day at the beach yet.

If it were raining I'd probably stay on the ship. Another option would be to visit the Crystal Caves or the Aquarium. And, for sure, a meal at the Swizzle Inn. Or Hog Penny in Hamilton.

Many times the rain in Bermuda comes and goes in less than one hour. Don't rule out the day at the beach yet.

A few years ago, I was upset because I saw the weather forecast that called for mostly rain. We only had rain for a few hours one day. On the day that we did have rain, we hired a tour-taxi and took a 4 hour tour of the island.

I have started only using the web site weather.bm for Bermuda weather. The US based sites never had an accurate weather prediction.

I don't think the Crystal caves would be a good option. There are 88 stairs to get down and back up again. Both Crystal and Fantasy have long sets of stairs to navigate.

Yeah, that will be good for most of us. The caves will be nice.

Thanks to all, but I'm trying to work out options for my w/c bound niece. I should have been more specific in my question!

Any other ideas?

Thanks to all, but I'm trying to work out options for my w/c bound niece. I should have been more specific in my question!

Any other ideas?

I can't say from personal experience, but I have read good things on here about the perfumerie and the maritime museum. If your niece has any interest in history, the museums should be fascinating. I am hoping someone who knows more about the museums will post, but I wanted to plant the seed. Good luck.

I can't say from personal experience, but I have read good things on here about the perfumerie and the maritime museum. If your niece has any interest in history, the museums should be fascinating. I am hoping someone who knows more about the museums will post, but I wanted to plant the seed. Good luck.

Thanks, I wonder if the Perfumerie is w/c accessible?

I saved this information in case we have a rainy day. It might be worth it to shoot them an email or call if they don't respond right away.

We are open from Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm

Closed on Sundays and Holidays

Admission is free

The Bermuda Perfumery

Stewart Hall

5 Queen Street

St. George's GE 05

Tel.: 441-293-0627

Fax: 441-293-8810

info@bermuda-perfumery.com

Our extended family, is taking my 16 yr old niece on her first cruise THIS Saturday, June 6, 2009. She fell off of a waterfall, fractured her cervical spine and became paralysed on 8/8/08 while on vacation in Hawaii. This is a trip to lift her spirits, as well as her family's.

Now I see that there is a 60% chance of rain on Monday, our full day, and 40% rain on Tuesday our partial day in Bermuda. She was so excited to go to a beach on Monday, Tobacco Bay, and sit at the water's edge and sunbathe while we snorkel. We planned to ferry over to St George, go to Tobacco Bay and check out that general area by the fort. We would taxi to maybe Swizzle Inn, go to Hamilton, explore, and then head out to Horseshoe maybe, or ferry back to Dockyards for Destination Dockyards.

What can we do as an alternative if it rains?

Tuesday we were maybe going to Horsehoe (if we didn't go Monday), and then meet up with members of our group when they were done scuba diving. We will be meeting at Snorkel Park.

What to do on that day if it rains?

I know that Dockyards have alot of shops indoors, and glassworks, but that won't take up 1 1/2 days!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Is your niece named Melissa? If so, then I am a teacher at her high school. She was in our thoughts and prayers all year as we were updated on her recovery. I saw that you are from PA and I thought, with it being such a rare story, that it must be the same.

Are you going to Bermuda out of Jersey? I am going to Bermuda in August..I cannot wait!

I'm so happy that your niece and your family are able to take this trip. She will have a wonderful time. After this past year, you sure need it.

Much love to all of you!

The perfumerary is quite a small house with a few stairs to get through the front door. It isn't much to see but you may be able to get into the garden at the side with a wheelchair. I am attaching a pic and it is the building past the pink one in the foreground.

Sorry wrong pic but it is the Majesty coming throught the town cut LOL next thread will have the pic

853486809_Bermuda078.jpg.1e28b211162447754d848b4254cbb156.jpg

The perfumerary is quite a small house with a few stairs to get through the front door. It isn't much to see but you may be able to get into the garden at the side with a wheelchair. I am attaching a pic and it is the building past the pink one in the foreground.

Sorry wrong pic but it is the Majesty coming throught the town cut LOL next thread will have the pic

Here it is

692685555_BermudaJune2008097.jpg.1f5329e1dc102e1c7c28d454a8208aba.jpg

Is your niece named Melissa? If so, then I am a teacher at her high school. She was in our thoughts and prayers all year as we were updated on her recovery. I saw that you are from PA and I thought, with it being such a rare story, that it must be the same.

Are you going to Bermuda out of Jersey? I am going to Bermuda in August..I cannot wait!

I'm so happy that your niece and your family are able to take this trip. She will have a wonderful time. After this past year, you sure need it.

Much love to all of you!

Yes, it's Melissa! Thank you for your prayers, she needs them! The school has been so helpful, in fact, the whole community really stepped up for the family. We are so appreciative!!!!

http://www.aMiracle4Melissa.org

We are on RCCL out of Bayonne for a 5 day. Her Godparents are treating her. The entire family sure could use a break from the 24/7.

What ship are you on?

I have been in Bermuda since Saturday for work and the forecast stated rain each day. I don't think that it has rained more than 30 minutes the entire time.

:):):):):):) Love you!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't hear better news!!!!!!!

Normally, we roll with the punches on cruises, but, I've been working on this trip since the fall to make it special for my niece, so it's different.

Thanks for the heads up!

Go to the Bermuda Tourism web site: http://www.bermudatourism.com/maps_and_brochures.aspx

Under the "Travel" tab there is a "Maps & Brochures" page. On this page is a number of brochures. If you select the "Sightseeing & Activities Fact Sheet" you will get an eleven page PDF file of things to see in Bermuda that does list if the place is wheelchair accessible. The direct link:

http://www.bermudatourism.com/pdf/SIGHTSEEING.pdf

There must be plenty to see in Bermuda even wheelchair bound, because a lady on our roll call has cruised there many times with her wheelchair.

Also I no longer have the link to the article, but in mid-May Bermuda did add wheelchair accessible buses to their fleet.

Go to the Bermuda Tourism web site: http://www.bermudatourism.com/maps_and_brochures.aspx

Under the "Travel" tab there is a "Maps & Brochures" page. On this page is a number of brochures. If you select the "Sightseeing & Activities Fact Sheet" you will get an eleven page PDF file of things to see in Bermuda that does list if the place is wheelchair accessible. The direct link:

http://www.bermudatourism.com/pdf/SIGHTSEEING.pdf

There must be plenty to see in Bermuda even wheelchair bound, because a lady on our roll call has cruised there many times with her wheelchair.

Also I no longer have the link to the article, but in mid-May Bermuda did add wheelchair accessible buses to their fleet.

Thanks! I've just printed the PDF out. It's very user friendly.

I'll have to call the Bermuda Bus Service office again tomorrow about the W/C accessible buses because a couple of weeks ago they told me they had none. Thanks for the tip-it would be fantastic if they did have those buses!

Found the article on the buses: http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270&ArticleID=41347&TM=82947.3

Print.jpg Close.jpg

FINALHEADER.jpg Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Wheelchair users benefit from 15 easy access buses

Helen Jardine

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

41347a.jpgTest drive: Premier and transport minister Ewart Brown tests out the new wheelchair-friendly buses. *Photo by Helen Jardine Wheelchair user Willard Fox spends thousands of dollars each year on taxis to and from work.

Now, with the introduction of 15 wheelchair-friendly buses on the island, he hopes to save a small fortune.

Mr. Fox, who is also the Chairman of the Bermuda Physically Handicapped Association, says he will be first in line for the new fleet of specially-adapted buses which will be rolled out this week.

"If it's going my way you better believe I'll use it," said Mr. Fox who was born disabled 63 years ago. "Although it's about 40 years too late.

"Attitudes have changed a lot since then. Back then the line of thought was, 'Why would you want to go to town? You don't have a job, you don't have any money. Just stay at home.'"

Plans for the new buses have been underway since last spring and costs for them were outlined in this year's budget.

The buses, which cost $300,000 each, have a special ramp, which extends to allow wheelchair users to board the bus without assistance.

They are fully air-conditioned and can carry two wheelchairs at a time and only have six seats less than the previous buses they are replacing.

They will initially be started on all routes, with a focus on routes to and from Dockyard in lieu of cruise ship season.

"I just hope they run on a regular schedule," Mr. Fox said. "There seems to be a misconception that disabled people are never in a hurry to get anywhere - that we have all the time in the world. This simply isn't true. If I want to get to town for 9am, why can't I? They need to be as regular as possible."

"Also, I hope the bus drivers will not be put off collecting us because we are in a wheelchair and will take just that little bit longer to get on the bus. Some drivers may not want to be thrown off schedule by waiting for us."

Don Simmons, Director of Public Transportation, said the new buses, which were manufactured in Germany, are also more environmentally friendly with their high-pressure diesel engines.

"The disabled community is always in the back of our mind," Mr. Simmons said. "They are citizens too whose tax dollars have helped pay for these buses.

"This is just the start. We are always looking for ways to improve the transit service."

Premier Ewart Brown said the government is "currently researching hybrid vehicles for the next future set of buses."

The Premier added:

"The drivers have welcomed the new buses. We take the drivers to test drive the buses before we buy them."

Related Links

Content © 2009 Bermuda Sun Ltd. Software © 1998-2009 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved

Thanks again, 14ersco!

After reading your tip, I researched and found that same article and have posted it on the Disabled forum and started a new thread here on Bermuda forum to alert people.

You have helped alot of people!

Yes, it's Melissa! Thank you for your prayers, she needs them! The school has been so helpful, in fact, the whole community really stepped up for the family. We are so appreciative!!!!

http://www.aMiracle4Melissa.org

We are on RCCL out of Bayonne for a 5 day. Her Godparents are treating her. The entire family sure could use a break from the 24/7.

What ship are you on?

I'm so glad that Melissa will get such a nice trip!!

I have visited her site before to check on her progress. Although I have never had her in class, I have heard from other faculty members about what a great person she is.

I am going on the same cruise out of Bayonne with RCCL on August 1st. You'll have to let me know how it is! I'm excited to have a cruise port so close to home.

Have a great time! :p:):)

Any other ideas?

We recently returned from Bermuda and my husband uses a power wheelchair and I use an electric scooter. We were taken on a wonderful tour of the island by Judith and Robin Simmons of Unique Vacations in their new wheelchair accessible bus. Their number is 441-331-8687. Their website is www.uniquevacations.bm. Their rates were very reasonable and they gave us personalized service. They will not only take you on a tour, but they can customize it to your niece's interests and accessibility needs. I believe they are lifelong Bermuda residents, so they should know exactly what activities to suggest.

We recently returned from Bermuda and my husband uses a power wheelchair and I use an electric scooter. We were taken on a wonderful tour of the island by Judith and Robin Simmons of Unique Vacations in their new wheelchair accessible bus. Their number is 441-331-8687. Their website is www.uniquevacations.bm. Their rates were very reasonable and they gave us personalized service. They will not only take you on a tour, but they can customize it to your niece's interests and accessibility needs. I believe they are lifelong Bermuda residents, so they should know exactly what activities to suggest.

Thanks for your suggestion!

I've had alot of contact with Judith and her service seems very nice! My sister has 6 in her family, however, and the charge is by the person. So, a 5 hour tour of the island for 6 ppl added up to an huge amount for that family. We wish we could have used her service but by the time 16 ppl went on the van it was $1,200! If it had been like taxis charge for the ride, we would have jumped on it!

Hi Foks,

Take a look at the Aquarium and Zoo in Flatt's Village. It's very accessible for a wheelchair and for a small place it's really good!

The other posters are right though, we tend to get very heavy rain for a short period, then out comes the sun again.

Have fun!

It was like 2 years ago and a group of us started out to Horseshoe Bay for a day of swinning. As we got there it started to sprinkle just a little bit and some of the group started fretting. We we got to the beach and it started to rain about the same time we saw a cave where we could keep our things dry, We looked around and the rest of the group was still at the concession stand waiting for the storm to stop. After convincing them to come to the cave with us and they would be dry they came but complained the wholetime. So here we are inside the cave and it is raing. :rolleyes:I convince my wife, daughter and son in law to lets go swimming, we came to get "wet". While playing in the water and having that warm rain hitting us it was really getting fun. We looked and a few more members of the group had joined us. :DIn less the 30 minutes our entire group was in the water having fun and it was raining. What made the change..when we left reminded the cave I ask them why did they come to the beach, everbody answered, they came to swim, and in oder to swim you had to get wet......:eek:Much to our surprise, 30 minutes later the rain stopped and there we were with Horseshoe bBay all to ourselves.:D So go have fun even if it rains.

It was like 2 years ago and a group of us started out to Horseshoe Bay for a day of swinning. As we got there it started to sprinkle just a little bit and some of the group started fretting. We we got to the beach and it started to rain about the same time we saw a cave where we could keep our things dry, We looked around and the rest of the group was still at the concession stand waiting for the storm to stop. After convincing them to come to the cave with us and they would be dry they came but complained the wholetime. So here we are inside the cave and it is raing. :rolleyes:I convince my wife, daughter and son in law to lets go swimming, we came to get "wet". While playing in the water and having that warm rain hitting us it was really getting fun. We looked and a few more members of the group had joined us. :DIn less the 30 minutes our entire group was in the water having fun and it was raining. What made the change..when we left reminded the cave I ask them why did they come to the beach, everbody answered, they came to swim, and in oder to swim you had to get wet......:eek:Much to our surprise, 30 minutes later the rain stopped and there we were with Horseshoe bBay all to ourselves.:D So go have fun even if it rains.

I like your spirit!

I would do what you did, but, we have a person in a wheelchair with us which poses the problem. Rain and metal don't mix.

Thanks!

Archived