Need General Input for Platinum member on the Paradise 3 Night Cruise from Long Beach

Sailfish

Concerning the Paradise:

It's been a while since we last cruised with Carnival; we are Platinum level past guests. Though we almost never do 3 night cruises, we found one priced so reasonably aboard the Paradise that we decided to book it!

We have not been on the Paradise. There doesn't seem to be much recent input on the Paradise these days here at Cruise Critic - using the search function didn't help. So, those of you who have been aboard the Paradise recently - in the past 6 months - how did you enjoy the cruise, and what was your impression of the ship? I have a few more questions - maybe you can help answer some...

1. How does the Paradise compare to newer ships in Carnival fleet? Is it well maintained and clean?

2. What was your impression of the food? Any specific recommendations or warnings?

3. How was the nightly entertainment? What did you enjoy most while at sea?

4. Was there a past guest party on this three night voyage?

5. If you are a Platinum level past guest, can you refresh my memory as to what benefits you enjoyed while on this three day voyage?

6. How did you find embarkation and debarkation?

7. Do you have any other comments concerning the Paradise?

Thanks for your input!

Suzi

We have been on her in Jan 3 day and Feb 4 day of this year.

-The Paradise just had a drydock in December. In January we received new Drapes and Shower curtains. They are maintaining her well.

- The food has always been it or miss, one cruise great next cruise lousy. The Indian and squash vegetarian options always seem to be good.

- The same comedians and shows that we have seen for the past few years.

-No past guest party, but there is a Captain's reception on CE night, the second night.

-Platinum guests on this get the same as other cruises.

-Embarkation has been very easy. Debarkation can be easy if you do not stress about it. We are usually the last off the ship. Long Beach is not doing passport checks right now, just toss your form into the bucket on the way out.

-Parking at Long Beach is $15 a day.

We have found the crew very friendly on the Paradise.

We have been on her in Jan 3 day and Feb 4 day of this year.

-The Paradise just had a drydock in December. In January we received new Drapes and Shower curtains. They are maintaining her well.

- The food has always been it or miss, one cruise great next cruise lousy. The Indian and squash vegetarian options always seem to be good.

- The same comedians and shows that we have seen for the past few years.

-No past guest party, but there is a Captain's reception on CE night, the second night.

-Platinum guests on this get the same as other cruises.

-Embarkation has been very easy. Debarkation can be easy if you do not stress about it. We are usually the last off the ship. Long Beach is not doing passport checks right now, just toss your form into the bucket on the way out.

-Parking at Long Beach is $15 a day.

We have found the crew very friendly on the Paradise.

Thanks for the input...this is very helpful. Mind me asking - what is CE night? Also, is there still a formal night? How dressy is it? As we usually do 7 night cruises, we are used to dressing up, but not sure how dressed up people will be on a three night cruise out of LA.

Also, does Carnival still provide free toiletries? Is there an alternative restaurant aboard the Paradise?

Thanks again.

Suzi

Havent been on the Paradise but if you are Platimun you get VIP embark/debark, free laundry, canapes/petifours and I forget what else.

No past quest party on a 3 day

Enjoy your cruise !

Thank you for the feedback on Platinum benefits - so I suppose the PVP at Carnival didn't know what he was talking about when he told me there would be a past guest party! I had a hunch he was wrong, but he insisted there was one scheduled! That's why I asked here!

Suzi

Carnival no longer has Formal Nights. They are now Cruise Elegant.

Gals wear everything from blacks slacks/fancy top to ball gowns. Guys from Dockers and a dress shirt (no tie) all the way to tuxes.

Toiletries are shampoo and soap on the wall of the shower and some sample sizes of other things. They change from cruise to cruise.

No pay alternative restuarants, but you won't go hungry.

Thanks for the input...this is very helpful. Mind me asking - what is CE night? Also, is there still a formal night? How dressy is it? As we usually do 7 night cruises, we are used to dressing up, but not sure how dressed up people will be on a three night cruise out of LA.

Also, does Carnival still provide free toiletries? Is there an alternative restaurant aboard the Paradise?

Thanks again.

Suzi

CE= Cruise Elegeant Night which is the 2nd night

People were dressed to the nines others were wearing shorts, for the most part everyone was dressed up but not to fancy. Not as fancy as the 7 day cruises.

You will find shampoo and bodywash in your bathroom, there is also a basket that always varies. Ours had his and her razors, fiber and tums

along with toothpaste samples.

I was on her 5/22 . This was my 2nd time being on a Fantasy class ship. As old as she is, she does not look old at all. The crew does a great job at keeping her clean. We never made it to any show, but I know they were always packed as I would see lots of people coming out. I did read the capers daily and they have tons of activities planned.

What I really enjoyed is that up on the Lido there were hardly any lines

to get food except for the Mongolian station. You must try the Mongolian station :D

Embarkation was a breeze, however getting off for Catalina was a nightmare. This was my 7th Carnival cruise and I have never waited more than 10-15 minutes for a tender. On this ship we waited over an hour, I dont know if it had anything to do with the fact the itinerary had changed and maybe the company providing tenders did not have enough on a Saturday?????

CE= Cruise Elegeant Night which is the 2nd night

People were dressed to the nines others were wearing shorts, for the most part everyone was dressed up but not to fancy. Not as fancy as the 7 day cruises.

Well, this is a change; I am okay not having to dress to the nines, but this is somewhat confusing. If you had to describe what most people wore on the Paradise the one CE night, was it leaning towards the casual and more like going out to a nice restaurant on a Friday night than a back-tie event on New Years Eve? I had set asside my strapless back chiffon knee-length coctail dress and my husband's suit; now I am not so sure we need to take anything that dressy! But like I said, I also want to fit-in with the norm which almost sounds like "anything goes"! HELP!

We cruise a lot with Princess - we find most people wear what I term as country club casual most nights, but simple black cocktail dresses are still the norm for formal night. Long gone are the days when we all wore ball gowns (except on New Years Eves cruises), and I am very okay with dressing down. But what you describe is a little confusing.

Suzi

We were on the 5-14 cruise of the Elation - same class , same itinerary.

We've never done a 3 day and usually 10 days or more. With the give-away pricing on these formally Mexican cruises we found the demographic to be very young. I'd guess the average age was in the mid-twenties.

There was lots of partying, but the food and service were very good.

We walked right on to a tender in Catalina. Most of the partiers were probably still asleep. Timing is everything!

Well, this is a change; I am okay not having to dress to the nines, but this is somewhat confusing. If you had to describe what most people wore on the Paradise the one CE night, was it leaning towards the casual and more like going out to a nice restaurant on a Friday night than a back-tie event on New Years Eve? I had set asside my strapless back chiffon knee-length coctail dress and my husband's suit; now I am not so sure we need to take anything that dressy! But like I said, I also want to fit-in with the norm which almost sounds like "anything goes"! HELP!

We cruise a lot with Princess - we find most people wear what I term as country club casual most nights, but simple black cocktail dresses are still the norm for formal night. Long gone are the days when we all wore ball gowns (except on New Years Eves cruises), and I am very okay with dressing down. But what you describe is a little confusing.

Suzi

From what I read in his post, what you have laid out would be fine for the high end. On the other hand, if wanted to "dress down" a little( a nice pant suit for you and slacks with nice button down with open collar for DH, maybe a sports jacket), you would still see lots of folks dressed in the same type of attire.

DH wore Dockers and a dress shirt. Most seem to wear either a tie or a jacket, few wore both and I think we saw only a few tuxes from a wedding party.

It seemed that the guys dressed to the level of their ladies.

Keep in mind that you will see some in shorts, etc. Either they havn't had dinner, ate in the buffet or had changed already.

Archived