Viking cruise in 19 days -- no docs yet!

loum140

We're sailing on Viking (Amsterdam to Budapest) in 19 days. Can anyone tell me when to expect our cruise documents? Called them last week to confirm that they would be sent to us directly rather than to TA, but still waiting for packet to arrive and getting nervous. Do they ship via USPS or UPS? Thanks in advance. Marsha

FYI: Just thought I'd post an update. Spoke to our TA yesterday and she obtained the FedEx tracking number from Viking. Our cruise documents were sent from Ca. on 5/29 and are due for delivery today, 6/4 in NY. - 16 days before our flight to Amsterdam. Now I can start packing!!!! Marsha

And now for the bad news......yes, our packet arrived, but with someone else's cruise voucher! I know it's not critical as we're listed on the manifest, but it should have also contained vouchers for the shipboard credit we're entitled to for the fuel surcharge rebate and our AARP shipboard credit. They're supposed to overnight a corrected set to us.

• 3 months later...

We are taking our first Viking River cruise. I think I read somewhere that we can't use credit cards on board, yet we can pay our tips by cc. Can someone explain the system on Viking River to purchase from a shop or the spa? Is the cashless system like the regular cruise lines use (door key as credit card on board)? Thank you. [p.s. we are leaving in 16 days and no docs yet]

Also, I noticed a fuel surcharge refund. How did you score that?

We must have been on the same cruise but don't recognize your picture. We left on the 16th of August.

The trip was OK except for the last day. We got concerned about the safety in Budapest (should not have been, a great city) and bought the transfer to the Budapest airport for $120. In hindsight, that was an outrageous cost, espcially when the taxi for our friends was 12 euro each. But to top it off, we were taken and "deposited" at the wrong airport. Once we figured that out and got to the correct airport at our own expense we almost missed our plane.

Upon return, we called Viking, said they would get back to us shortly. That was two weeks ago and haven't heard back yet.

I'm wondering what is going on with Viking River Cruises.

• 3 weeks later...

To Above 100 : can you let me know if you have still not heard back ? I will make sure you get a refund processed within the next few days if this has not already been done. Sorry about the delay and your experience. By the way, the transfer prices are flat fees which compare favorably or unfavorably depending on the city and the available alternatives. part of the convenience should be that you are better taken care of than in a random taxi. This was clearly not the case here, and again, I apologize. Full disclosure: I do work for Viking River Cruises !

To everyone whose documents took too long: I will pass on your concern; we do normally send them out further ahead of the departure date that what is stated here. I know that part of traveling should be the anticipation, but not the anxiety. Sorry !

Archived