Forget the bedspreads, do they EVER clean the tv remote

flagger

The things that wake you up at night. I always always strip off the bedspreads when I check into a room. However late last night I began to get the heebie jeebies over all of those tv remotes I have touched without first swabbing them down with alcohol/lysol.

Just the thought of someone watching Night Nurses from New Jersey, VOL IV and then handling their remote just made me lose sleep for most of the night. Something else I need to clean first thing when I get to my stateroom.

I am the queen of germaphobes. Give me a few minutes to think of some of my other anal travel tips!.....

The Purell goes without saying....Rub, rub, rub. Lysol disenfecting wipes to clean the light switches and such in rooms. The baggie is my favorite obscure tip. Most others are pretty common.:o

My thing is shopping cart handles at the supermarket. I have visions of runny nosed little kids sitting in it, grabbing onto the handle. I always have to wash my hands as soon as I get home from the store.

I also have a problem when I see a kid standing or sitting in the cart itself and not the seat. I watched a kid yesterday with muddy shoes getting it all dirty. I was thinking someone has to eventually put their food in there. Those handles do rate right up there with door knobs. Yuck.

And here I thought I was the ONLY one that carries disinfecting wipes! It's not that I'm a germaphobe, I just can't stand the grime (and not knowing where it came from!).

I do also and wipe down everything - except the remote. My DH is the only one that gets to handle it, so he can catch the cold. :D

The grocery handles are always sticky and I too can't wait to get my wipes out once I reach the car.:eek:

I was very happy the other day at the supermarket, the store had right by the shopping carts two containers attached to the walls with wipes to wipe down your shopping cart handle. That is a great idea.

I too saw that at one of our local stores....I agree great idea.....wish they all did it. :)

Don't put your wipes up yet!!!

I heard one of the most unsanitary items is a restaurant menu. Hows that for the appetite!!!

And don't even get me started on the buffet where the sneeze guards are about two feet above the little sneezers with their runny noses in the mashed potatos.

and here i thought i was the only "sicko" with a purse full of wipies & a suite case full of lysol/clorox....... :eek: my daughter has a hissy fit when we arrive in our room because it "assault time"....

i spray/clean everything, initially,,,, i bring my own blanket & sheet,,,, so i dont have to worry about scummmmiie blankets......:eek:

my daughter thinks i'm nuts,,,, but i dont care,,,, rather be nuts than germ ridden......... :p

Had a friend who would not drink out of a glass at the bars...years ago. Said that it was gross and disgusting and the glasses weren't washed right etc...would only drink bottled beer. Lo and behold, same guy would go home with a different "lady" every weekend. From the stories he told....didn't really matter where his mouth went after a few beers!!!!!!

Saw a special on 20/20 about hotels and if you ever knew the disgusting things that were picked up by microscopic details...none of us would ever sleep in a hotel or on a cruise again!!!!

My husband is germ paranoid and is also one of those that checks expiration dates on everything..one day past the day and he won't touch it...

Only thing that ever grossed me out was everyone using the same phone...When I worked, I always had the alcohol pads by the phone.

Just run your tongue over the touch keys a few times and it be clean. :p
I might could handle running my tongue over a kids with snotty hands touching it shopping cart handle, but not over a tv remote after someone has watched an adult film on Pay-Per-View.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

On my last cruise, I licked the remote control. It tasted just fine and it didn't make me sick. Then I licked the elevator buttons, just 11 and 4 though. Hmm, maybe I need to try the phone receiver next time. OOOhhhhhh, yuck!!:eek: :D

Didn't we just have a thread regarding this matter not long ago? I believe that it started with someone referring to the dirty comforters and they were wondering if it would be unusual for them to ask for a new one when they boarded. However, it turned into a germ ridden discussion. I truly don't know how some people enjoy life constantly worrying about wiping this and disinfecting that. I practice good handwashing skills on a routine basis and it works for me!

Someone on the other thread spoke about even bringing Lysol and drenching everything, their pillow included! GAG! I think that sleeping with your head in a puddle of Lysol would be much more harmful than on laundered sheets, even if I didn't launder them. I do agree that comforters on ships and in hotels probably have a nasty history (a big, dirty, hairy butt sitting on them), but just don't lay on them (or lick them).

I say loosen up, wash your hands, and enjoy your cruise (and life). Don't sweat the small stuff. By the way, when is the last time you know caught a life threatening disease by handling a phone or pushing a shopping cart?? Ummm, could you be saying "never" that you know of ???

:o

Do any of you wipe the coins or bills you get in change?? Public touch places include: elevator buttons, vending machines, your "sign & sail" card, your credit card (if the cashier handled it), rails on stairway, escalators and moving walkways, seat belt buckles in airplanes, keys & steering wheels on rental cars, chairbacks in restaurants, door handles in taxis, AND, for those of you who don't trust the ships laundry, POOL TOWELS.

Some things warrant special handling, and you should protect yourself, but you can't wash the whole world. Just wash your hands when you can and hope for the best.

Something you can do is speak up everytime you see someone putting a diapered baby in a pool or sitting them on a food or cash register counter. They won't learn unless someone tells them.

SeaBreezy: I agree to an extent, but during cold/flu season I think it pays for everyone to be extra careful. Hand washing is definitely the most effective way of keeping clean. But it's not always convenient, so wipes and alcohol gel are good stand-ins for those times. Also, please be aware that people with compromised immune systems or auto-immune diseases are not "obsessive," we actually enjoy our lives more when we feel better about cleanliness. What is "small stuff" to you can land me in the hospital--that's why we are so careful. The only other option would be to stay home and do nothing. (In fact, on a previous thread someone did post something like, "well, if you have a long-term illness, you should just stay home and not go anywhere or travel"--nice.) I'd rather minimize the risks and enjoy what I can.

And yes money is one of the worst offenders.

beachchick

Archived