Forget the bedspreads, do they EVER clean the tv remote

flagger

For me, one of the worst germ problems is at Church. I won't mention which denomination as my intent is not to start a Church discussion (like you won't be able to guess from my comments below;) ). Suffice it to say our practice is to hold hands with the people around you during the Lord's prayer and shake hands during Peace be with You's. Then, you go up to take communion and use your same hands that just held some sick person's hand to put it in your mouth. Or, you end up sitting next to someone who hacks and coughs the whole time. I also never drink out of the wine glass offered unless I am in the first row....I'm not drinking out of the same glass as hundreds of other people!

p.s. Yes, I have pulled out the travel sized bottle of Purell during Church to prevent the spread of germs. I hope others don't think its rude, but I'd rather not get sick!

pps...Nope not changing Churches, born and raised in it, so plan to stay....and plan to protect myself!:D

And I thought it was just me! GOing out to buy some disinfectant wipes right now, and will share them with my brother who's cruising with us, and undergoing chemotherapy. I was just concerned about flu during this no-flu-shot-available season, but I forgot about his compromised immune system. I personally never sit on the bedspread in a hotel, and REALLY appreciate those hotels that "wrap" the blanket in two clean sheets so I never have to touch it. Would that they all did! Happy sailing, all!

Money is the filthiest thing you will ever touch in your entire life. I know, I count it for a living. My hands are so dry from constant hand washing and purell sanitizing gel. You cannot imagine how dirty your hands look after counting thousands of dollars. Coin is even worse. Yuck.

Candi

For me, one of the worst germ problems is at Church.

Amen! I agree with you there. Sunday in our SS class, two women were hacking away. During the church service, we have a greeting session where you are to say hello and shake hands with everyone around you. I always feel so uncomfortable doing that and I will refuse to shake hands wirh someone if I am the one not feeling well. I wish others would do the same.

We are Methodist and do not share the glass. You must be Episcopalian?;)

I read an article a few years ago that said by us using all of these anti-bacterial potions, we are actually doing more harm than good to our immune systems, particularly in children. By not allowing the body to encounter these germs, you are not allowing it to build an immunity to them. Some scientist also think that eventually, the body's immune system will cease to control any infection, because it will not have built a resistance to it. It's kind of like how antibiotics are now resistant to certain strains.

I will see if I can find the article, but it was years ago. I'm sure there are others that believe the same though. I happen to think that contact with germs is natural, and I do not obsess over it, no hand cleaners, etc. and I am rarely sick.

I suppose if one had a defective immune system every germ would matter, but for the average person, I think, like the scientist, we are trying to make our world too clean, thereby ruining our ability to build a resistance.

I

I suppose if one had a defective immune system every germ would matter, but for the average person, I think, like the scientist, we are trying to make our world too clean, thereby ruining our ability to build a resistance.

I am a nurse and while I am at work, I wash my hands CONSTANTLY. But good grief, you could make yourself crazy by obsessing about germs on objects that we encounter in every day life. Aren't there better things to focus on, like joy of living, family, friends, and great life experiences?

Sure, there are germs all around us. That's why God designed the human immune system, and folks, it's really an incredible system which provides us with so much protection that it really makes it unneccessary to wipe down every single surface we encounter (obviously there are immunosupressed individuals for whom this generalization does not apply).

Sure, take common sense precautions, but some people seem to really go overboard (Oops, WRONG thing to say on a CRUISE SHIP forum!!!).

Be safe, be happy.

My thing is shopping cart handles at the supermarket. I have visions of runny nosed little kids sitting in it, grabbing onto the handle. I always have to wash my hands as soon as I get home from the store.

At our supermarket they put Lysol and store brand wipes by the carts so you can wipe them down before using them.

I remember seeing something very similar on TV a fews years back. I don't remember which program, but it was one similar to 20/20, Dateline, Primetime Live, etc. The show talked about how overuse of these products actually degrades the body's natural defenses and over the long-term will increase the likelihood of contracting treatment-resistant infections. The experts on the show recommended using these products very sparingly and instead practicing frequent handwashing (after using the restroom, before eating, etc.).

Ever since seeing that program I have stopped using all anti-bacterial and anti-viral products and I have noticed that I get sick alot less now than I did when I was germ-obsessed. It could be just a coincidence, but I truly believe that my immune system has gotten stronger ever since I stopped trying to constantly "help" it with anti-bacterial potions.

I read an article a few years ago that said by us using all of these anti-bacterial potions, we are actually doing more harm than good to our immune systems, particularly in children. By not allowing the body to encounter these germs, you are not allowing it to build an immunity to them. Some scientist also think that eventually, the body's immune system will cease to control any infection, because it will not have built a resistance to it. It's kind of like how antibiotics are now resistant to certain strains.

I will see if I can find the article, but it was years ago. I'm sure there are others that believe the same though. I happen to think that contact with germs is natural, and I do not obsess over it, no hand cleaners, etc. and I am rarely sick.

I read once that the WORST place for germs is the holes in bowling balls. EWWWWWW....

And they weren't "nice" germs either. Severe lack of hand washing after using the bathroom happening in those bowling alleys!

I bowl on a league. Easy fix : Buy your own bowling ball like I did! :p

Ok. Ok. You got me.;) Can't keep a secret around here very long!

You are probably right about the whole over-purelling thing too. My DS2 is home sick right now with 102 fever....Daddy's home with him today as I'm on my way to a non-cancellable mtg. He unfortunately came down with the whole asthma thing this year. We have to give him 2 breathing treatments a day, and times like this when he gets sick are very worrisome as that is when wheezing starts. Then, we are in the yellow zone and have to do 3 treatments in an hour of albuterol...the daily stuff is pulmicort. Anyway, I tried soooo hard to make my kids immune system stronger by doing the whole breastfeeding thing for a year (believe me pumping at work ain't no picnic!), and here it didn't matter. Luckily neither of my kids have had ear infections which seem rampant among the young ones these days, but I truly do wonder why he came down with this asthma thing. Noone in our families have it. Strange.

I am making this observation based on my 10 years experience as an elementary school teacher. It is a sad, but true, fact that kids have asthma/allergies more than ever these days. My principal attended a conference and relayed these facts to our staff: it is believed that more kids today have asthma/allergies due to the overuse of antibacterials and cleaning agents. He advised us to not overuse cleaning products in our rooms wiping down desks and such. Some teachers would do this daily. Once a week is sufficient. He preached to us about teaching our kids good handwashing skills and habits. I did just that. I always made time before lunch to have the kids use the restroom then wash hands. I have already posted on this thread and if you read back, you can see my personal opinion on this topic. Many of the chemicals we use to kill germs are more harmful than the germs themselves! I had always heard that teachers are able to fend off most cold germs because they are exposed to them all the time. My opinion is that this is true. Kids would come up to me and cough or sneeze almost ON me and tell me they were sick. I can't remember getting a cold this way. Actually I can't remember the last time I had a cold. Simply wash your hands.

:)

Ok. Ok. You got me.;) Can't keep a secret around here very long!

You are probably right about the whole over-purelling thing too. My DS2 is home sick right now with 102 fever....Daddy's home with him today as I'm on my way to a non-cancellable mtg. He unfortunately came down with the whole asthma thing this year. We have to give him 2 breathing treatments a day, and times like this when he gets sick are very worrisome as that is when wheezing starts. Then, we are in the yellow zone and have to do 3 treatments in an hour of albuterol...the daily stuff is pulmicort. Anyway, I tried soooo hard to make my kids immune system stronger by doing the whole breastfeeding thing for a year (believe me pumping at work ain't no picnic!), and here it didn't matter. Luckily neither of my kids have had ear infections which seem rampant among the young ones these days, but I truly do wonder why he came down with this asthma thing. Noone in our families have it. Strange.

I understand that whole ritual, however, no one in my family had it either. I guess I outgrew it, or something. When I was in high school, I started smoking(no longer do)and it was then that the Asthma subsided, believe it or not.

When I was 2-6, I couldn't run, go out side in times of high pollen, had no pets, etc., and I was hating life. Now, I can't even remember the last time I had an attack. My sister, who never had it as a child, is now 48, and she developed it about 8 years ago, very strange, and she has it bad. She is also living with several cats, and she is waaayyyy over weight. I think both of those factors have something to do with it. She did smoke breifly in her 20's, but hadn't smoked for years when this all started.

Who knows, maybe he will outgrow it too.

Thanks for all your prayers an comments guys! My son is one of those kids who literally never stops. Even when he's sick, he's running around and playing. Even though he had 102 fever he wants to play. Non stop energy. So, it makes it hard to know how bad he's really feeling. Last time we didn't understand the zones well enough and almost had to hospitalize him. Luckily the albuterol did the trick. That is why we are watching him so closely now. You got it on the pollen/animal hairs and stuff like that too. The first time he got this wheezing problem was last april. Then july, then august, then october, then we learned and have had him on this asthma action plan since October. I'd really hate for him not to be able to play in sports as he is sooooo active. I mean he could really kick an amazing soccer ball as soon as he could walk. He hits t-ball great too. I sure hope this asthma problem doesn't hold him back. I have heard of Olympic swimmers with asthma so hopefully we'll learn as he gets older. The doctor did say we might take him off the daily treatments next spring and see how he does as he may grow out of it, so we'll see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Thanks for all your prayers an comments guys! My son is one of those kids who literally never stops. Even when he's sick, he's running around and playing. Even though he had 102 fever he wants to play. Non stop energy. So, it makes it hard to know how bad he's really feeling. Last time we didn't understand the zones well enough and almost had to hospitalize him. Luckily the albuterol did the trick. That is why we are watching him so closely now. You got it on the pollen/animal hairs and stuff like that too. The first time he got this wheezing problem was last april. Then july, then august, then october, then we learned and have had him on this asthma action plan since October. I'd really hate for him not to be able to play in sports as he is sooooo active. I mean he could really kick an amazing soccer ball as soon as he could walk. He hits t-ball great too. I sure hope this asthma problem doesn't hold him back. I have heard of Olympic swimmers with asthma so hopefully we'll learn as he gets older. The doctor did say we might take him off the daily treatments next spring and see how he does as he may grow out of it, so we'll see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

I am very close to an amazing soccer player. She was one of the top 5 goal scorers in the nation in her senior year of college (Division II) and is an amazing young woman in all respects. She has battled asthma for years but nothing stops her, and I mean NOTHING. She is now a working adult, a young married woman who still plays soccer on three teams. On two of these teams, she is the ONLY woman player and she still kicks major butt; I can't tell you the number of men she has put to shame, who will never tell her so, but who respect her immensely. She does this in spite of severe asthma, so no fear, this is something that can be overcome. Don't make the mistake of letting him quit out of fear (I understand this as I have two daughters who are also soccer players with asthma). This is a managable disease, though I acknowledge it's a major pain at times. Good luck and keep on truckin'. It's worth it, it really is.

Archived