Destiny/Renaissance Advice/Info

Hi to all. I'm new to this forum and hoping for some experience related advice on the destiny Renaissance cruise this September.

I'm thinking about Civitavechia to Rome, as it seems a fair distance. Are the transfers included in the initial cost of the cruise or do they need to be booked and paid for when on board.

Hope someone can help as I'm trying to work out the real cost of the cruise.

Thanks.

When you say "transfers" do you mean the cost of getting to Rome? These will not be included in the price - if you want to get to Rome you will need to book one of the many excursions that will be available or make your own arrangements which, for Rome, is not that difficult.

If you want to work out the "real" cost of your cruise, you will need to add on the cost of any excursions you may wish to book and the cost of drinks if you do not have the all inclusive package.

Thanks for the quick response. It's clear now what we need to do.

So, does anyone know the cost of the excursions-shore trips on this particular cruise? Oh, and the cost of the drinks package.

Thanks.

Prices for excursions vary considerably, depending on what you want to do. When we did this cruise in 2005 there was a choice of about five or six different excursions. They are not the cheapest way to get about which is why a lot of people prefer to make their own travel arrangements.

You may have left it too late to buy an AI package. Full price, these tend to be about £150 for the week. Personally, I think this is expensive but if you're the sort of person who likes their drink then it may be worthwhile!

Rome

Thompsons have various Rome Excursions depending on what you want to do. Either walk around or drive around. Pretty pricey. Average cost for Rome excursion about £50. You could get the train at a cost of 9 euro and walk around that way. Only two stops in Rome. 1st stop will take you to the Vatican. 2nd Stop (Termini) you can visit all the other sights on foot from there. Pretty easy really. Train back to boat leaves every hour.

Drinks Package

A few tins of Coke/Fanta during the day

A few cocktails during the day

Wine for your evening meal

A few G&T's to watch the shows with.

Times that by the number in your party and it soon adds up.

Personnaly I think the drinks package is worth it.

I always book early and get any freebie's going.:p

Hi Victoriana,

Have a look at this link from the Thomson site and search for your ports of call. When you look at the information for each port it will also give you the excursions (with prices) although they could change them and in the Destinations Guide, which you get once on board, there is often a wider selection available. But it will give you an idea with your planning. Some ports are easy to DiY, but it's more difficult when the port is some distance from the main attraction e.g. Rome.

http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewPorts.do

The 'Rome on your own' excursion takes you to St Peter's Square and gives you quite a long time in Rome to do your own thing. I think it cost us about £35. You can get into Rome on your own by train which is 9E return (or was!) but you have to head back much earlier than the Thomson coach does because of finding the station/platform/catching the train/allowing for missing the one you want and there still being another which will get you back in time!! We reckon we were able to spend about 2 hours longer when we did the Thomson transfer into Rome than when we went by train - but it's up to what you feel comfortable with.

(When Thomson say 'free transfers' they mean from the airport to the port and back.)

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 month later...

We have done the trip to Rome by ourselves twice. We have caught a shuttle bus Thomson have provided into town then done the short walk to the train station. Once in Rome there are many sight seeing buses can be caught which you can get on and off to see what you want around the city. The trains run regularly back to the port, but still be sure to give yourself plenty of time

Hi to all. I'm new to this forum and hoping for some experience related advice on the destiny Renaissance cruise this September.

I'm thinking about Civitavechia to Rome, as it seems a fair distance. Are the transfers included in the initial cost of the cruise or do they need to be booked and paid for when on board.

Hope someone can help as I'm trying to work out the real cost of the cruise.

Thanks.

Also Civitavechia has a lovely beach and market if you do not fancy a busy day in Rome. The shuttle bus takes you right to the port gate, the market is 50 ft to the right and the beach just behind it.;););)

Archived