Cruising w/a 3 yr old on Emerald Princess

Punchie

Hello! I will be sailing with my mother and daughter on the Emerald this Fall. I have never sailed with a child before and have some questions.

Do I need to bring a car seat with me for if/when we do shorex? I really would like to avoid having to store it in our cabin.

What is the children's program like? Is it worth signing her up? If I do, should I make a mad rush as soon as we board to get her on the list?

Do you have any other recommendations or advice?

Thank you!

You do not need to rush to sign her up for the children's area. There is an open house like arrangement the first evening that you should attend. This is where you sign up. I would go even if I was unsure my child (grandchild for me) would use the area. The kids are broken down into age groups but she could be with kids 3 to 7 if there are only a few of them on the ship. The counselors are fabulous. Your child must be totally potty trained to stay there by themselves. You have to have picture ID with you to drop off and pick your child up. If your child is under 3 or not completely potty trained then you can still use the kids area but you have to stay with her.

Thank you for your response. Maybe it would be wise to call Princess to find out the number and age breakdown of other children on the cruise. She'll be 3 by the cruise date, and is potty trained so we're good there. :) I'm glad I don't have to make a mad dash for the children's area when we first board. What kind of activities do they have for little ones?

colouring, making bead necklaces, face painting, crafts, games, movies, ice cream treats, and so much more i can't remember. in alaska there was a nature interpretive activity put on by the glacier bay rangers.

my gs did not spend a lot of time there and as he is not potty-trained one of us stayed with him. but they had themes most days: circus, beach, pirate, pj party etc. you can go for as much or as little of the activities as you want. and there are beepers they can give you if you do leave your little one alone and they need you.

there was so much more going on that we all did together. the little one loved to just walk around the ship inside and out and also loved the attention from the other passengers and especially the cruise staff.

have fun!

The age group will be 3-5 but it varies by how many kids are any particular sailing. They have a great kids area. there is an enclosed outdoor area with a toddler pool and big wheels to ride around. On the first evevning usually before dinner they will have a sign up and you get to meet the counselors. No rush everyone gets in. How long your grand child stays in the program is totally up to you. You can get the weekly schedule of activities on Day 1. Since you are sailing in the caribbean, they may not have the same safety child seat laws as we do here in the US but that doesn't mean its not a good idea to bring it and use it. HOnestly I never brought it. I buckled my daughter up with me in the seat when transporting from point a to point b. That does not mean I recommend it, only telling you my experience.

I've dragged a car seat all over the world and while it's a PITA to do it, it's more comfortable for the child and definitely more hygienic than anything you can rent.... My DD used to love to sit in hers outside on our balcony! Balconies can be a great place to store things like that.

The kids clubs on board are excellent. My DD is now 8 and loves going. The activties are age appropriate and vary constantly, with a full program for every day and evening. Check it out on the first evening and sign up then. Attendance is always optional, but you do have to be signed up.

Princess will tell you how many kids are on board and wll give you the age breakdown as well. You can call them directly or your TA can easily find out for you.

A day to day listing of the activities will be in your cabin when you first get there. Also info on the registration meetings. There you will meet the counselors and your child can meet some of the other kids, while you're filling out the necessary forms.

During the week there will be a kids' dinner at the buffet. One side of the Horizon (or similar locale) will be closed for a "private party" and you drop your child off. After wards, the counselors will take the kids back to the "fun zone" for the evening activities.

We did take the car seat on the cruises with us (and when she was older, the booster seat). We stashed it in the closet (you should be able to stow suitcases, etc. under the bed. You probably won't be able to install the seat in most taxis outside of the US.

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it. :) I think I might buy my daughter a booster instead of taking the carseat. The one we have is huge and I don't think 3 pp in the cabin will leave a lot of space.

Archived