Acne and a sunburn! AACK!

Okay, I got a horrible case of acne on my back and shoulders and got mildly sunburned today! I am leaving on Sunday for Alaska. Are there any suggestions of what I could do to help my formal dresses not look so bad for my skin or am I just going to have to bite it and look weird?

I have found in my experience that when I had a breakout of back acne (usually when auntie flow visits) that sun will clear it up right away. I think you will still be fine in your formals, I do suggest extra moisturizer on the burned areas so you will not peel. Have a wonderful cruise!

The ships are usually pretty chilly anyway do you have a wrap or pashmina you could throw on? Honestly, nobody will notice most likely. However, if you are uncomfortable people will notice that! So just throw on a wrap, or just go out without it and have fun! Enjoy Alaska!!

Just use a mild soap that you would use on your face. Don't get too crazy washing it or it will get worse. If you can tolerate it, Neutrogena has these pads that you use on your face that I also use on my back (they are in an orange, round container). They might sting on the burn, but they will clear you up. Also, just be sure to use something like a facial sunscreen (I think Coppertone has a 70 spf for faces) on your back.

Seriously, no one will notice. If worse comes to worse, bring a black cardigan with you. That goes with everything!

One of the best things for acne (and sunburn) is Tea Tree Oil. It can be applied directly to the skin but if you have sensitive skin I would suggest diluting it in a little Olive Oil. Anything which is not absorbed by the skin will evaporate allowing your skin to breathe.

Regards, Judi

One of the best things for acne (and sunburn) is Tea Tree Oil. It can be applied directly to the skin but if you have sensitive skin I would suggest diluting it in a little Olive Oil. Anything which is not absorbed by the skin will evaporate allowing your skin to breathe.

Regards, Judi

Really? You would think anything with "oil" is evil for your complexion. I love the smell of tea tree oil! Thanks Judi.

No problem. Tea Tree Oil is one of the Essential Oils which has a multitude of uses: cold sores, cuts, dandruff, fungal infections etc.

You can mix it will a little water in a spray bottle and use it as an insect repellent for your skin.

It's also great if you mix a few drops with a facial wash - keeps the skin looking good.

I've used essential oils for years and Tea Tree is a good staple to have (as is Lavender Oil).

Judi

Darn, I got to you too late!

My Great Grandmother used to put ice on our sun burns. (I guess it takes the heat out of it) It works so well I still do it to this day! I ice the area down off & on until bed time and when I get up the next day it's barely noticeable. Unfortunately, you have to do it the day you get the burn other wise it won't work.

No problem. Tea Tree Oil is one of the Essential Oils which has a multitude of uses: cold sores, cuts, dandruff, fungal infections etc.

You can mix it will a little water in a spray bottle and use it as an insect repellent for your skin.

It's also great if you mix a few drops with a facial wash - keeps the skin looking good.

I've used essential oils for years and Tea Tree is a good staple to have (as is Lavender Oil).

Judi

What does the lavender oil do for you?

I've heard of people using Visine on their pimples. I guess it takes the red out of the blemish. Or you could try Noxema, I know it will pull the heat from the sunburn, and I guess it could also help your skin.

Acne generally has nothing to do with oil production, it is caused mainly by hormones. My daughter suffers still from teen acne and has dry skin...a terrible combination.

Scrubbing acne can make it worse, you really have to treat it gently. Many acne products are so drying to the skin, they actually act as more of an irritant and makes the acne worse.

The best thing to do for acne is to see a good dermatologist who can recommend what is right for your particular skin. Others here on this board can be well meaning, but steer you in the wrong direction.

For example, the best thing for my daughters acne has been washing with Cetaphil, the dry skin formula, only using fingertips no washcloth or scrubbie. Followed by a topical antibiotic, she uses moisturizer on the areas that are not broken out. The next person may not have a good result with this at all and need the drying lotions.

I do know that washing too frequently and too roughly stimulates the oil glands to overproduce, which then tends to back up under the skin, causing more acne.

What does the lavender oil do for you?

Lavender has many many uses - a good web site called "Joy of Lavender" gives you all the uses and how to use.

As with many essential oils Lavender should NOT be used by pregnant women or women who are breast feeding.

Tea Tree and Lavender are two of the few oils which can be applied directly to the skin - this should be done sparingly, at night after cleansing, with a cotton bud.

Other essential oils must be mixed with a carrier oil (Sweet Almond, Jajoba Oil, Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil).

I had terrible acne as a teenager/young adult and after trying many different products (washes, scrubs etc) and steroid creams (antibiotics) which didn't work for me, I tried a Chinese Therapist who put me onto the essential oils. My acne cleared very quickly after that.

Archived