Rumrunners for shampoo

I've read numerous threads concerning the usage of rumrunners for sneaking alcohol onboard. However, has anyone used them for things like shampoo, conditioner, self tanner, lotion, etc? They seem easier than taking the actual bottles...and yes, I need to bring my own shampoo/conditioner bc the ship stuff wreaks havoc on my tresses :p

what a hassle transfering the lotions to the rum-runner and as mentioned they are too big for that perpous in my opinion. why not by several of the travel size bottles of your brand or the smaller travel containers to put them in.

caa419, these RumRunners Flasks are flexible, collapsible plastic containers, designed for smuggling alcohol....but very useful for carrying any fluid when you don't want it to leak.

We just take regular sizes of shampoo etc. No way sample sizes would last 10+ days. We shower twice a day on vacation so that would be 40 uses for the 2 of us! You may want to bring the full size bottles. We also bring 2 full sized shower gels for a 10 day vacation and manage to use most of it.

I think my teenage daughter is related to you :p

It takes me about 2 months to use the contents of an 8 oz. bottle of shampoo at home. I wash my hair every day, so about 60 uses. She uses a different type than I do and a full litre of shampoo lasts her about the same amount of time, she shampoos about 4 times per week. About 32 uses from a bottle more than 3 times the size :rolleyes:

My husband and I don't use the entire contents of a 3 oz. bottle of shampoo in a week. We do buy 4 oz. tubes of conditioner, it has to be packed in our checked luggage, which is fine. We usually end up tossing the last ounce or so, so we don't have to take it home. Shower gel is a different story. I can have the same 16 ounce bottle last 2 months, his will be gone in 2 weeks.

I think a lot of people just pour the shampoo/conditioner/body wash directly onto their scalp/body before emulsifying it. If you emulsify first, shampoo the size of a nickel will wash your hair just fine, the same with conditioner. Body wash, I probably use the size of a quarter. I think my husband uses a cup measurement :)

If a liquid is thick, like hair conditioner or body lotion, it is a pain to refill into any type of refillable bottle, not just Rumrunners. I found this out the hard way just like phoenix1181.

I use refillable bottles for liquids that are the consistency of water only. For thicker liquids I just buy travel sizes or, like sunscreen where you need a larger size, I pack it into the checked case or purchase when we get to the destination.

I have some plasic travel containers that are jar-like. These are great for thick liquids, gels, or creams.

Archived