Wench Dunkings in St. George, Bermuda

Our family will be cruising on the "Dawn" in 1 1/2 weeks. We are interested in showing the grandchildren the festivities in St. George. Do they still do the "wench dunkings "and is it everyday at noon, or when? Has anyone seen this event, this Spring?

Our family will be cruising on the "Dawn" in 1 1/2 weeks. We are interested in showing the grandchildren the festivities in St. George. Do they still do the "wench dunkings "and is it everyday at noon, or when? Has anyone seen this event, this Spring?

The wench dunking in St. George's is lots of fun. During St. George's Market Night, May through Aug, 6:30 to 9:30 pm. The wench dunking is usually around 7 pm or so.

The dunkings are held in village square at noon. We were all set to watch this past Thursday (the "wench" was walking around wearing a sign) when suddenly the sky opened up. The performance had to be canceled.

We were in St. Georges at noon a few Mondays ago when the "wench" dunking took place. Some of the guys in our group were selected by the Town Crier to participate in it. It is fun to watch but can't be much fun for the wench. Lol

Come join our roll call!!! The CC Meet N Greet is Monday morning at 10:30 a.m. in the Star Bar. Link to the roll call is in my signature.

Totally off topic. I have to ask the OP... do your grandkids call you Mom-Mom? I started calling my grandmother Mom-Mom back in 1972 when I figured out she was my mom's mom! All of us cousins in the family grew up calling her Mom-Mom. Never heard anyone else use this term of endearment!

Have a great cruise!

KBG

The dunkings are held in village square at noon. We were all set to watch this past Thursday (the "wench" was walking around wearing a sign) when suddenly the sky opened up. The performance had to be canceled.

Ok, this is the first I have heard about Wench Dunkings. It sounds like a great time. Now here is my first question. From the name, I assume that the Wench ends up all wet. Now let me get this straight, they cancelled the dunking of the Wench (where she gets all wet) because of rain?

Second, would someone explain what happens at a Wench Dunking.

Totally off topic. I have to ask the OP... do your grandkids call you Mom-Mom? I started calling my grandmother Mom-Mom back in 1972 when I figured out she was my mom's mom! All of us cousins in the family grew up calling her Mom-Mom. Never heard anyone else use this term of endearment!

Have a great cruise!

KBG

My husband's mother was called Mom-Mom, and she was an adorable, lovable lady, and that's what I wanted my grandkids to call me, and they do. Of course, it's usually the first things babies say too!!!!

We cruised thru the Panama Canal and loved it and that's how I became Panama Mom-Mom. Thanks for asking.

Ok, this is the first I have heard about Wench Dunkings. It sounds like a great time. Now here is my first question. From the name, I assume that the Wench ends up all wet. Now let me get this straight, they cancelled the dunking of the Wench (where she gets all wet) because of rain?

Second, would someone explain what happens at a Wench Dunking.

\

In St. George, Bermuda....King's Square, there are replicas of stocks, a pillory, a whipping post, and a ducking stool, which is on a long board that looks like a see-saw. These items were used to punish gossiping and other 18th century offenses. Several times a week at noon, St George's town crier appears in period costume to convene a mock tribunal. They usually get the crowds involved. Really neat to watch.We have watched this in the rain already, but I don't think they will do this if there are thunderstorms.

If you get to Bermuda, a must see, along with the Gombeys, who perform Wed. nights in Hamilton for Harbour Nights.

It happens at noon on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and in the evening on Tuesdays.

And, since the wench is dropped into the harbour in a ducking stool in a British territory, it should be called by the English term 'ducking'. Dunking is an Americanism.

It happens at noon on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and in the evening on Tuesdays.

And, since the wench is dropped into the harbour in a ducking stool in a British territory, it should be called by the English term 'ducking'. Dunking is an Americanism.

Thank you for your information regarding times and days. As far as the ducking vs dunking we were in error and thank you for your clarification.

if you're looking for other activities you should also check out the bermuda section of the boards. you can get really specific answers, some from real live bermudians!

my husband was trying to find out if he could make me an honorary wench. thanks goodness the answer was no.

have fun in sunny bermuda

Archived