Butler service...Exactly what do you get?

BlewWater

Could you tell me exactly what the butlers do for you that is above and beyond the normal stateroom attendant?

And what butler service is done automatically, vs. you having to request it from the butler?

Any difference between the butler service on Oceania and other lines, or are their offerings fairly similar between cruise lines?

We usually get Concierge class rooms, but have been curious about upgrading to butler suites.

We have travelled in a PH with butler service and enjoyed it very much. The butler does not replace the stateroom attendant and her assistant. The butler will bring you canapies late afternoon. We requested a fruit basket that would be replenished on a daily basis and he did that. We also requested 4 wine glasses to be replaced when used. If you order an in suite breakfast, he brings it making sure that your special requests are there. He will also bring and serve you dinner in your suite from any of the specialty restaurants. We enjoyed this after a long day on shore. Obviously he has other passengers attend to and so you must know what you want and when you want it. We have also had parties and requested extra glassed and snacks and these were furnished and all the dirty glasses etc. were removed.

Plus he will make reservations for you in the alternate restaurants, sometimes on a last minute basis. These butlers are not like those on Azamara who do double as stateroom attendants. They actually deserve the designation.

The part I enjoy most is the in-room dining. We had all our breakfasts brought in by our butler every morning, and can order, the night before, whatever is reasonable even if it's not on the menu. The butler goes to the galley to put it all together. They have a special counter there for butlers to assemble their trays. If you really like to try out certain dishes from specialty restaurant but unable to get a table for the evening you want, you can always order in.

Although each butler takes care of 15 suites, on average only 4 per night order in their dinners. There are 4 butlers in total, and they work as a team. So if one is disproportionally busy, the others will help out. They work from 6-11am( more or less)and again 5-10pm( I could be a bit off on these times)where the bulk of their work takes place. One of them is on duty from 11-5 to answer all calls.

Your butler is basically your liason to the rest of the ship's services. For example, if something doesn't work in your cabin, I find that the butler has more experience and efficiency in arranging a fix. Getting specialty dining room reservation can be handled through him, so you don't have to go to see the head waiter at a specific time .

What is considered "proper" in tipping the butlers? Do you give an extra tip when they deliver meals or do you wait until the end of the cruise to give the tip above what you are expected to give?

We will be in a PH suite for the first time and we always appreciate the people who take care of us. I want to do what is expected, but not be uppity about it.

Thanks for your help.

I tip the way I do when dining at 5 star restaurant where 18% gratuity is included. If I feel that the service rendered is beyond my expectation, then tipping extra is my way of showing appreciation for a superb job done, in addition to verbal feedback. Almost without exception, the dining staff and butler all told us that they pride themselves in providing excellent service to their guests, and their aim was to help us in having a great time on the cruise.

The Butler service in the PH suites is a quite good. On our last Oceania cruise, my partner and I and both of our parents were in Butler suites. Our butler was fine, but both of our parents had a different butler, who was extraordinary. He set up a cocktail party just for the six of us each day around 6pm and brought us more than just the regular canapes. He also got us additional reservations to dine in the specialty restaurants above the 2 we were assured. He sent our wine down to the dining room we were going to and even helped us with a shore excursion that was sold out. We gave him an extra tip on top of what was pre-paid. Our butler for our room had a terrible personality, and he never went above and beyond anything. He just did what was to be done. Even though our parents' butler wasn't ours, we also tipped him extra.

SanFranCruiser,

If you book another PH in the future, you can enquire ahead of time whether your favourite butler is onboard, and ask for him. Mine said we can do that, of course assuming he's there. They do not mind covering a cabin not geographically" in their region", unlike cabin attendents. In fact, a fellow passenger on our cruise did a back to back, had to change cabin the second leg, and her butler followed her, although she went from FWd to AFT.

Do you mind sharing the name of the amazing butler? People on cruisecritic often praised their favourite captain, cruise director, butler, etc. and named them. I don't think it's against any rules.

The amazing butler's name was Darvo. He was from Croatia, I believe. His wife is one of the sommeliers, and she works up in the Polo Grill most nights. He was the best butler we have had on any line. And we have had some great butlers. It is funny because the actual butler assigned to us in our PH was a total dud. But since Darvo had my parents and my partner's parents, he "adopted" us. Hence the reason we tipped him extra as did my parents and my partner's parents. When we sail on Oceania again, I will ask if he is there.

...His wife is one of the sommeliers, and she works up in the Polo Grill most nights. He was the best butler we have had on any line. ......

This helps.

I know they are all professionals, but not having to miss your spouse makes most people happier. A happy butler exuberates joy and he connects with his guests on a deeper level than the dining room staff so it will show.

Archived